Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Dec 20, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #5,491 of 23,486
I'm thinking HD600 before HD650..  but really want to try HD800, guess I'll buy those first and try with Grace and Bushmaster..Maybe buy a Crack amp later..we'll see, no hurries
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #5,492 of 23,486
  I've learned not to believe everything that I read, a personal audition settles the score for me. I just listened, very carefully, to an HD800 at J&R last week and it sounded great using an inexpensive portable amp setup from my phone. Samsung Galaxy S3 -USB-> FiiO E18 -LineOut->FiiO E12->HD800. I tried the HD700's at the same sitting and they were definitely too bright. If you prefer less treble perhaps you should give the HD650's a try.

There's two different things. Trying it briefly  and living with it weeks after weeks.  HD800 needs first a good and appopriate source and then an appropriate amp.  And as do HD650/600/580 , HD800 scales with gear upgrades but stay very enjoyable with appropriate gear. I had very veryu good results with an old dacmagic and a Meier Corda Jazz for example.  I had a Hegel HD10 and I really hated HD800/Hegel HD10 Combo. 

Dec 20, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #5,493 of 23,486
  I'm thinking HD600 before HD650..  but really want to try HD800, guess I'll buy those first and try with Grace and Bushmaster..Maybe buy a Crack amp later..we'll see, no hurries
biggrin.gif

If you find the treble response of the HD800 to be excessive, you will probably find the same with the HD600. That's why I suggested the HD650. I've listened to all three, extensively and found that the HD600 and HD800 to be very neutral and the HD650 to have a slightly elevated bass and slightly recessed treble. I liked the neutral sound much better, since the HD800 was over budget I left with my own pair of HD600's, even though I was expecting to purchase the HD650. In the end it's your ears that must be pleased so bring them along for a headphone audition.
Maybe you should bring along your Grace M902 and listen with them yourself, ok so it isn't a portable DAC/Amp but you do want things to sound right for you. Don't trust everything you read on the Internet, even me - lol, so take matters to you own ears. Besides, the selection/audition process is fun. I'm lucky to live near and work near to New York City which has places to listen first hand.

Dec 20, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #5,494 of 23,486
Just wanted to chime in and say that I received the (2) new drivers from Sennheiser and my HD600's are now back to the beautiful pristine condition that they originally arrived in. Plus the extras they sent me, and also having a spare driver is very nice.

Sennheiser really went above and beyond to keep the customer happy. And they did just that!

Dec 21, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #5,497 of 23,486
Howdy all,

I have a question for experienced hd600 listeners who hopefully have some experience with my issues with the hd650 and the beyer T1.

I currently own the T1 and recently sold my 650.My problem is the Beyer T1 aggravates my tinnitus.The 650 was never a problem with the tinniitus but it was just too dark for me and not natural sounding enough.

I'm wondering if the hd600 would be a good compromise or if the T1 treble is comparably hot to the hd600.I would rather not rely on the frequency graphs which do indeed show a bit of treble spike with the T1.I did audition the T1 next to the HD800 and preferred the T1's warmer signature(IMO).

I would prefer to hear from those who have owned them or at least the hd600.I would particularly like to hear about folks experience with fatigue issues or tinnitus but hopefully none hear have that problem.

I've tried the T1 and the hd650 through various high quality amps and sources and that is definitely not the problem.I'm willing to give up the soundstage and detail of the T1 if it solves the other issues regarding tinnitus(T1) and too dark/bass hump(hd650).

Anyway your input would be greatly appreciated!!

Dec 21, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #5,498 of 23,486
  Howdy all,

I have a question for experienced hd600 listeners who hopefully have some experience with my issues with the hd650 and the beyer T1.

I currently own the T1 and recently sold my 650.My problem is the Beyer T1 aggravates my tinnitus.The 650 was never a problem with the tinniitus but it was just too dark for me and not natural sounding enough.

I'm wondering if the hd600 would be a good compromise or if the T1 treble is comparably hot to the hd600.I would rather not rely on the frequency graphs which do indeed show a bit of treble spike with the T1.I did audition the T1 next to the HD800 and preferred the T1's warmer signature(IMO).

I would prefer to hear from those who have owned them or at least the hd600.I would particularly like to hear about folks experience with fatigue issues or tinnitus but hopefully none hear have that problem.

I've tried the T1 and the hd650 through various high quality amps and sources and that is definitely not the problem.I'm willing to give up the soundstage and detail of the T1 if it solves the other issues regarding tinnitus(T1) and too dark/bass hump(hd650).

It sounds like you might have some noise sensitivity along with your tinnitus? If you have sensitivity, fatigue, and tinnitus, it's a good indication that you have a hearing loss. Have you seen an audiologist? If I just described you, then I know what you are going through from personal experience. I would stop, take a breath, and consider a different path via your audiologist.

But the short answer is... yes, the HD 600 has more sparkle than the HD 650, but remains a very non-fatiguing headphone. I think it's a great choice given your conditions.

Dec 21, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #5,499 of 23,486
  Howdy all,

I can't speak for the T1, however, I listened extensively to the HD600 and HD650. I wanted to get the HD650, only when A/Bing them I found that for me the treble of the HD650 to be slightly recessed and in combination with the lifted bass gave me a perceived darkness that was not for me, seems to be what you think as well. I found the HD600 to be neutral and put my money down and left with the HD600. I also listened to the HD700 and found them too bright and would be fatiguing for me when listening for extended periods.
In the end you have to listen for yourself and get what makes your ears happy.

Dec 21, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #5,500 of 23,486

It sounds like you might have some noise sensitivity along with your tinnitus? If you have sensitivity, fatigue, and tinnitus, it's a good indication that you have a hearing loss. Have you seen an audiologist? If I just described you, then I know what you are going through from personal experience. I would stop, take a breath, and consider a different path via your audiologist.

But the short answer is... yes, the HD 600 has more sparkle than the HD 650, but remains a very non-fatiguing headphone. I think it's a great choice given your conditions.

Thanks for your response.

Yes I've seen an audiologist, but not recently, and there were mild degrees of all the things you've mentioned.
Unfortunately I have no insurance at the moment and am underemployed so a new visit to the audiologist will have to wait.
This is not a new problem for me as I've been suffering from it for over 20 years.
I've also been letting up on the headphone listening and stopped listening to iems which were a part of my commuting experience for years.

I do not listen to headphones loudly and in fact speakers are even more irritating for the most part.
As I've said the 650 did not aggravate my issue at all but I was not happy with the "puffiness" (for lack of a better word)of the bass bump.

Dec 21, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #5,501 of 23,486
"In the end you have to listen for yourself and get what makes your ears happy."

Yes this is true.
I will say however that the T1 initially seemed not to be an issue but it's tough for longer periods of listening.
This is especially true if I'm in a loud working/commuting environment(which has been the case at times) throughout the day and then come home to listen to music.

I'll definitely think carefully and try to get an audition of the hd600 first.
I auditioned them years ago but it's hard to say what's what based on memory alone.

Dec 21, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #5,502 of 23,486

Yes I've seen an audiologist, but not recently, and there were mild degrees of all the things you've mentioned.
Unfortunately I have no insurance at the moment and am underemployed so a new visit to the audiologist will have to wait.
This is not a new problem for me as I've been suffering from it for over 20 years.
I've also been letting up on the headphone listening and stopped listening to iems which were a part of my commuting experience for years.

I do not listen to headphones loudly and in fact speakers are even more irritating for the most part.
As I've said the 650 did not aggravate my issue at all but I was not happy with the "puffiness" (for lack of a better word)of the bass bump.

Hopefully your insurance situation will change and you can see a professional about your hearing soon. I think hearing aids will help you a lot!

I dont know how much you know about tinnitus and hearing loss, but the latest research indicates that tinnitus is a direct result of hearing loss and the brain attempting to compensate for the lost hearing frequencies. The brain is constantly craving stimulation, and when certain sounds are missing, the brain gets in a hyper stimulated state at the missing frequencies and actually creates the tinnitus. Google "neuroplasticity" if you arent already familiar with it. In my case, I never associated my tinnitus with hearing loss, but as soon as I got hearing aids, my tinnitus became significantly less noticeable (when wearing them) and my sensitivity to noise (especially higher frequencies) was almost completely eliminated.

And to reiterate, you cant go wrong with the HD 600. I would strongly recommend it to you for what youre looking for.

Dec 21, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #5,503 of 23,486
Hopefully your insurance situation will change and you can see a professional about your hearing soon. I think hearing aids will help you a lot!

I dont know how much you know about tinnitus and hearing loss, but the latest research indicates that tinnitus is a direct result of hearing loss and the brain attempting to compensate for the lost hearing frequencies. The brain is constantly craving stimulation, and when certain sounds are missing, the brain gets in a hyper stimulated state at the missing frequencies and actually creates the tinnitus. Google "neuroplasticity" if you arent already familiar with it. In my case, I never associated my tinnitus with hearing loss, but as soon as I got hearing aids, my tinnitus became significantly less noticeable (when wearing them) and my sensitivity to noise (especially higher frequencies) was almost completely eliminated.

And to reiterate, you cant go wrong with the HD 600. I would strongly recommend it to you for what youre looking for.

Thanks for your sound advice, no pun intended
redface.gif

Dec 22, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #5,504 of 23,486

As a fellow tinnitus sufferer who has hearing loss (and wears hearing aides) I am interested in getting the 600s. I currently use the HD558 which is a comfortable and non fatiguing headphone. Let us know how things go with the 600s, if you get them. Do you have a sense of what it is about the T1 sound that causes the problem?

Dec 22, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #5,505 of 23,486
As a fellow tinnitus sufferer who has hearing loss (and wears hearing aides) I am interested in getting the 600s. I currently use the HD558 which is a comfortable and non fatiguing headphone. Let us know how things go with the 600s, if you get them. Do you have a sense of what it is about the T1 sound that causes the problem?

Did you do the "Black Foam" mod to your HD558?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back