Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Feb 14, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #1,201 of 23,486
After about 2 and a half months of owning the HD 600, I can say my ears have fully aclimatized to this thing and whatever burn in needed has been thoroughly met. For comparisions sake, I was really considering returning these headphones to Amazon during the first month I listened to them. They were so dissappointing. for whatever reason my ears were far from impressed. But for how the sound has changed relative to my ear over time:

First I rarely notice any creaking in the headband anymore. I am currently playing with it to get it to creek and it wont

second the sound has really become fuller. The first few weeks I had this thing, I felt that the treble was to bright, the mids recessed, and the bass simply to weak to qualify as a balanced headphone. However, somewhere along the line, my ear has adjusted, the soundstage is bigger, bass has more presence and satisfiable for its  current unamped state, the veil on the mids is practically gone and I can hear better texture and clarity, and the treble is just wonderful in comparison to my Shure SE 535 (known for recessed treble). 

third, To anyone considering removing the foam covering the back driver, I wouldnt recommend it, I barely noticed a difference. Plus the mod is practically inreverseable (I've put it back in with semi-satisfactory results)

Overall the experience has turned out to be well worth buying. Hopefully once I can get the E17, I can squeeze out even better SQ to this great headphone

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:20 AM Post #1,202 of 23,486

Quote:
After about 2 and a half months of owning the HD 600, I can say my ears have fully aclimatized to this thing and whatever burn in needed has been thoroughly met. For comparisions sake, I was really considering returning these headphones to Amazon during the first month I listened to them. They were so dissappointing. for whatever reason my ears were far from impressed. But for how the sound has changed relative to my ear over time:

First I rarely notice any creaking in the headband anymore. I am currently playing with it to get it to creek and it wont

second the sound has really become fuller. The first few weeks I had this thing, I felt that the treble was to bright, the mids recessed, and the bass simply to weak to qualify as a balanced headphone. However, somewhere along the line, my ear has adjusted, the soundstage is bigger, bass has more presence and satisfiable for its  current unamped state, the veil on the mids is practically gone and I can hear better texture and clarity, and the treble is just wonderful in comparison to my Shure SE 535 (known for recessed treble). 

third, To anyone considering removing the foam covering the back driver, I wouldnt recommend it, I barely noticed a difference. Plus the mod is practically inreverseable (I've put it back in with semi-satisfactory results)

Overall the experience has turned out to be well worth buying. Hopefully once I can get the E17, I can squeeze out even better SQ to this great headphone

Are you using the E9 right now?

Feb 15, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #1,203 of 23,486

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChosen0ne /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Are you using the E9 right now?

That poster was using them unamped.

Feb 19, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #1,205 of 23,486
So I sent in my HD580s to get repaired and Sennheiser sent them back with a new set of HD600 Headband/pads/cable.  Do I now own a pair of HD600s??  
tongue.gif

Feb 19, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #1,207 of 23,486

Quote:
Well, do you still have the 580 grilles? If so, I doubt it unless you actually had to get your drivers replaced.

Ah, I didn't realize the grilles were also different.  I thought there was something wrong with the driver in the left can, but there wasn't anything about them on the invoice so I guess not...

I'm extremely happy though, forgot just how much I loved the sound on these.  Just need a solid dac/amp and I'm done with upgrades for awhile.

Feb 20, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #1,208 of 23,486
Quote:
Just need a solid dac/amp and I'm done with upgrades for awhile.

The Matrix Mini-i DAC/amp matches up with the HD600 very well.

Feb 20, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #1,210 of 23,486
Nice, do you find the HR-2 improves the HD600 sound stage a bit?

Feb 20, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #1,211 of 23,486

Quote:
So I sent in my HD580s to get repaired and Sennheiser sent them back with a new set of HD600 Headband/pads/cable.  Do I now own a pair of HD600s??  
tongue.gif

Well, the pads and cables were always the same - though I would have thought that the 650 headband would have been a better match as it's silver.grey like the 580, rather than the dark painted 600.

But changing the rear grills would be a good idea - I changed mine years ago.

Feb 20, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #1,213 of 23,486
I'm not even sure how to write this...

A decade ago I bought a Senn 600 and HATED it!  Was very weary of the 650 but did get one and liked it.  Moved to the O2, tried the HiFiMan range, the 800, moved to LCD-2 and now...

Back to the 600 and LOVE it!  Its actually annoying me that this relic of a can is so bloody good especially given its price.  Was my first one DOA, has Senn used their right to improve the product over time?  I don't know.  I just know that music sounds quite a bit more "right" through the 600 than it should.  No aftermarket cable, just the stock junky cable and its frankly more enjoyable than the LCD-2 with SilverDragon.  Would I like bass to extend further?  Yes, but the music I listen to really has nearly nothing going on sub 40Hz.  So I'm just stuck here, jaw on floor unable to explain why 1) its competing way above its price and 2) why is it not on everyone's short list?

Best I can guess...  Amps and DACs have advanced hand over fist since the 600 was released and since we all moved to darker and darker cans that the 600 was forgotten.  Which is sad since it's briliant on modern gear.  At any rate if my first 600 sounded anything like this one, I wouldn't have 2000+ posts :wink:

Feb 20, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #1,214 of 23,486
Does anyone happen to know the part # for the HD-600 grills and possibly how much they cost?
Guess I can call Sennheiser, but it's not a high priority right now. It's not listed on their website.

Feb 20, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #1,215 of 23,486
Look at it this way, if not for trying out all that gear and headphones, you wouldn't have the same appreciation for the HD600 that you do now.  After all, getting that one or two pairs of headphones that really allows one to enjoy his or her favorite tunes is what this nutty hobby is all about.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back