Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jan 28, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #10,172 of 23,456
  I can vouch to that. When I compared both using the HDVA 600, I used their standard single ended cable and plugged both to the amp at the same time for faster switching. Much to my surprise, I did not find a lot of difference.

Furthermore, when I was casually listening to music without critically examining them, I often forget which one I was wearing. The only cue I have of which one I was wearing was from the comfort factor (Paul's HD600 was - or is more comfortable than my HD650).

I personally would say this: If I can have only 1 headphone, I would go for the HD600. If I need something to complement other brighter cans (like in my case, the HD800 and K812), I would go for the HD650. Though to be honest, would not really matter if I have the HD600 instead of the HD650 to complement those brighter cans...

Thanks for the detailed reply.  Difficult to comment further - especially as there are a number of factors which you may have which are impossible for me to replicate ......

1. By the sounds of things, the HD600 you tried were 'aged' and not sure what condition pads were in - this can dramatically affect sound
  2. Not sure how old HD650 were that you tried,  New silver driver HD650's are much closer to HD600 sound
  3. My critical comparisons were in a quiet room, volume matched (SPL meter), on consistent equipment with same tracks.  Yours were somewhat different

In my listening, the HD650 actually rendered instruments with a deeper timbre slightly better (cello, piano etc),  Anyway - I wish you luck on your search.  If it's any use, Rizki compared same HD600 and HD650 on his own equipment and reported similar findings to mine.  Others recently in this thread have said same.

Either one you choose should make you happy - both wonderful headphones and worthy of hifi status.

hiya @brooko and @62ohm, i just have one more thing to ask.
How close is the naturality sound between the two?
Not neutrality like the dt880, but natural-like sound. How close is the natural sound between the two?

Honestly, if the hd600 and hd650 new version are both very close to each other in terms of naturality, i wouldn't lose any sleep choosing one over the other....

Actually one more question @62ohm, you're listing HDVA600 on your signature... does the hd650 sound lifeless or dead if it's plugged in into entry-level non OTL amp? You know, like my magni 2 uber.

I really don't think i'll change to any other amp (tube, otl, or otherwise) anytime soon. So if hd650 + magni 2 uber = lifeless hd650, then, that's a definite red light for hd650 and green light for hd600 instead.

*pick the terms lifeless and dead because i see it's used a lot to describe hd650 synergy in the past posts on this thread.

Jan 28, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #10,173 of 23,456

Oppo PM-1 or PM-2? Tyll prefers them to the LCD2 and are supposedly way more comfy. I think they're warmer than HD600, though.

Thanks, I'll investigate. I like warm!
L3000.gif

Jan 28, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #10,174 of 23,456

How do the HE-500's compare to the HD 600. I too love the neutrality and natural sound of the 600.

The HE-500's have a more extended sub bass, slightly recesseed mids and a small peak at around 9 kHz, maybe a little better transient response. The HD600's have a more even treble, are more neutral with a slightly recesssed sub bass. I like both of them, very much.

Jan 28, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #10,175 of 23,456
  The HE-500's have a more extended sub bass, slightly recesseed mids and a small peak at around 9 kHz, maybe a little better transient response. The HD600's have a more even treble, are more neutral with a slightly recesssed sub bass. I like both of them, very much.

I've always read that the HE-500 mids were quite prominent in the over all balance of the sound signature and how good they sound. I thought their sound signature would sound a lot like the HD600 because of the mids and warmer sound and that's the main reason I've being looking at other headphone for an upgrade.

Jan 28, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #10,176 of 23,456

hiya @brooko and @62ohm, i just have one more thing to ask.
How close is the naturality sound between the two?
Not neutrality like the dt880, but natural-like sound. How close is the natural sound between the two?

Honestly, if the hd600 and hd650 new version are both very close to each other in terms of naturality, i wouldn't lose any sleep choosing one over the other....

Actually one more question @62ohm, you're listing HDVA600 on your signature... does the hd650 sound lifeless or dead if it's plugged in into entry-level non OTL amp? You know, like my magni 2 uber.

I really don't think i'll change to any other amp (tube, otl, or otherwise) anytime soon. So if hd650 + magni 2 uber = lifeless hd650, then, that's a definite red light for hd650 and green light for hd600 instead.

*pick the terms lifeless and dead because i see it's used a lot to describe hd650 synergy in the past posts on this thread.

I'm very sorry to say this, but when I had the Schiit Magni (the 1st generation) I don't care much for the HD650. IMO it sounds absolutely veiled I wouldn't even consider buying it. YMMV though as there are some here that actually loves the pairing the HD650 makes with the Magni. Personally, I find the pairing to be less than stellar, while the HD600 matches any amp I tried with it impeccably.

I've also tried Woo Audio WA3 & WA6 with both, and IMO the WA3 suits HD600 quite well but was too veiled for the HD650. The WA6 sounds magical with both.

Regarding naturalness, I would rank the HD650 marginally above the HD600. Neutrality, HD600 above the HD650.

Jan 28, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #10,178 of 23,456

I'm very sorry to say this, but when I had the Schiit Magni (the 1st generation) I don't care much for the HD650. IMO it sounds absolutely veiled I wouldn't even consider buying it. YMMV though as there are some here that actually loves the pairing the HD650 makes with the Magni. Personally, I find the pairing to be less than stellar, while the HD600 matches any amp I tried with it impeccably.

I've also tried Woo Audio WA3 & WA6 with both, and IMO the WA3 suits HD600 quite well but was too veiled for the HD650. The WA6 sounds magical with both.

Regarding naturalness, I would rank the HD650 marginally above the HD600. Neutrality, HD600 above the HD650.

as far as the two is concern, i care about naturalness. i have the dt880 if i'd like a more neutral sound. By marginal, you mean the difference is slight and subtle right?
yeah, i'll take marginal, anything that is not noticeable with "my sister's ear method of listening",, i won't lose sleep over it.

About the amp. Yeah based on my own readings, i also find that the hd600 will sound proper with a lot of stuff, while hd650 have scalability. Some people are more extreme, like some prominent website reviewer, talked a lot about in order to hd650 one will need "get a new dac", "get a new amp", "get a new cable".
Unfortunately I'm not in that market yet.

By the way, @62ohm based on memory, how would you describe magni + hd650 pairing you've heard in one word? two or three words is fine too.
unengaging?, lifeless?, dead?, or even straight-up sound like crap?

Jan 29, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #10,179 of 23,456
Anyone try aftermarket cables that actually make an improvement? Or is that all bull$hit?

Jan 29, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #10,180 of 23,456
  About the amp. Yeah based on my own readings, i also find that the hd600 will sound proper with a lot of stuff, while hd650 have scalability. Some people are more extreme, like some prominent website reviewer, talked a lot about in order to hd650 one will need "get a new dac", "get a new amp", "get a new cable".
Unfortunately I'm not in that market yet.

totally agree with you. before i decide between 600 and 650 i read almost half of the 650 topics here and to sum up things like you said
almost all the post that i can read is more on upgrading Dac, upgrade amp, upgrade cable, tube rolling, modding to open up the highs.
maybe the 650 is better than 600 if they are driven by correct tube amp and correct tube for specific listener.

I choose the 600 for less upgraditis and staying with a simple setup and less cost.
wink_face.gif

Jan 29, 2015 at 1:14 AM Post #10,182 of 23,456

totally agree with you. before i decide between 600 and 650 i read almost half of the 650 topics here and to sum up things like you said
almost all the post that i can read is more on upgrading Dac, upgrade amp, upgrade cable, tube rolling, modding to open up the highs.
maybe the 650 is better than 600 if they are driven by correct tube amp and correct tube for specific listener.

I choose the 600 for less upgraditis and staying with a simple setup and less cost.
wink_face.gif

I have found that the case as well, I find the HD 650 is the pickier of the two headphones system wise, though I honestly think the HD 650s are a bit better once you get good synergy and on higher end gear. I realized the reason the HD 650's really wow me compared to the HD 600 is because my system favors the HD 650. The HD 600 is the easier headphone to work with system wise. 

Jan 29, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #10,183 of 23,456
  I have found that the case as well, I find the HD 650 is the pickier of the two headphones system wise, though I honestly think the HD 650s are a bit better once you get good synergy and on higher end gear. I realized the reason the HD 650's really wow me compared to the HD 600 is because my system favors the HD 650. The HD 600 is the easier headphone to work with system wise. 

have you tried magni with the hd650?

Jan 29, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #10,184 of 23,456
Listening to the Kill Bill Vol. 1 soundtrack. So-so, maybe a little above average movie, but *fantastic* soundtrack. :dt880smile:

Have a listen to the john wick ost!! :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back