Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Sep 27, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #8,762 of 23,482
  The HD 650's are far more natural sounding, the HD 600's sound sterile in comparison.

Suggest you're in the wrong thread old son.  And even most HD650 owners I know also admit that the 650 is more coloured.  Nothing wrong with that - I quite like a coloured sound with some of my IEMs.

But if you're talking timbre and tone - there is no question - HD600 is closer to reality.  There's a couple of well known recording engineers who used to frequent this board will tell you same thing.  Also ask any one who plays violin or acoustic guitar 
wink.gif

Sep 27, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #8,763 of 23,482
  The HD 650's are far more natural sounding, the HD 600's sound sterile in comparison.

The HD650 is dark, not quite what I'd call natural. The HD600 is natural, and the HD800 is clinical/sterile. I've had the opportunity to try all 3, and I own the HD600. The sole reason I own it is because it is more natural than the HD650.

Sep 27, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #8,764 of 23,482
The HD 650's have a much more natural sound signature. The FR is irrelevant because you can easily EQ them.

Sep 27, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #8,766 of 23,482
  My point was simply that it's far easier to apply even the most "rough" EQ, such as tone controls, to the furthest extremes of the FR, which is where they operate. That's why the 880 is an emminently EQable phone, whereas most others with humps and dips in the middle of the range are far less so. It's certainly never going to be a precise operation, but then there are so many abberations in the FR of a typical phone anyway that precision is probably redundant. As you suggest, it's a question of what sounds right, and if a phone sounds right except for an obvious peak in the upper ranges, which a tone control seems to subjectively knock on the head, that's all my imperfect ears require.

The HD600 doesn't have any peaks or dips in the midrange. It's the smoothest sounding headphone I've ever heard in terms of frequency response. Yes there is a small bump in the midbass. But a wide bump is much easier to EQ than a narrow peak. The DT880 has a narrow peak in the treble, and using a rough EQ control will reduce the entire treble range, but the narrow peak will still be there.

The HD650 is dark, not quite what I'd call natural. The HD600 is natural, and the HD800 is clinical/sterile. I've had the opportunity to try all 3, and I own the HD600. The sole reason I own it is because it is more natural than the HD650.

I wouldn't agree 100% about the HD800. The HD600 is pretty much amp agnostic as long as it gets enough juice, and always sounds natural. The HD800 sounds very different when paired with different gear, and yes can sound clinical/cold/sterile but can also be quite warm when paired with certain amps. It's just very picky.

The HD 650's have a much more natural sound signature. The FR is irrelevant because you can easily EQ them.

This is a contradiction - FR and sound signature are the same thing 
confused.gif

Said nobody ever.

Well it's been said now!

Sep 27, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #8,767 of 23,482

I wouldn't agree 100% about the HD800. The HD600 is pretty much amp agnostic as long as it gets enough juice, and always sounds natural. The HD800 sounds very different when paired with different gear, and yes can sound clinical/cold/sterile but can also be quite warm when paired with certain amps. It's just very picky.

Oh really, I thought that the HD800 always sounded quite clinical. Can't imagine it otherwise with my experience with it, it just sounded so good.

Sep 27, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #8,771 of 23,482

Nonsense. The HD 650's have a very distinctive smooth sound signature that has nothing to do with the FR.

I have to agree. Sound signature and frequency response are not the same thing. Sure FR influences sound signature but it's only part of what makes a headphones sound signature. The HD 650 is inherently smoother sounding than the HD 600 and does sound more natural on some systems while the HD 600 sounds more natural on others.

Sep 27, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #8,772 of 23,482
Sorry guys, 90% I write comments on head-fi only, when I am not completely sober. :)
I am just happy, I find people who I can share with, what joy HD600 can give...
Unfortunately in my close environment I can not find a human being like that...
They say, 'yes, it is ok', 'better than any headphones I have heard', but they are not as impressed, as I would expect... 
This sounding is sooo great... How comes, it's not blowing everyones mind out? 

Sep 27, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #8,773 of 23,482
  Sorry guys, 90% I write comments on head-fi only, when I am not completely sober. :)
I am just happy, I find people who I can share with, what joy HD600 can give...
Unfortunately in my close environment I can not find a human being like that...
They say, 'yes, it is ok', 'better than any headphones I have heard', but they are not as impressed, as I would expect... 
This sounding is sooo great... How comes, it's not blowing everyones mind out? 

coz its not beats by dre
L3000.gif

Sep 27, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #8,775 of 23,482
Yep it require experience with it and desire to experience it. For instance, when you start in the headphones. And you try some. And you enjoy it but you feel something missing. And you start to try out many other headphones. You develop what you like. That is what it is. Development of the taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back