Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Feb 12, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #61 of 23,455
Quote:

How can u compare the He90 to the 600?
eek.gif

Easy, here's how.

1. Find a location, preferably a quiet room, that contains the HE90, the HD 600, quality source and amp, and some great music.
2. Warm up the HE 90 and HD 600.
3. Put on some tunes and listen with the HE 90 and HD 600 in turn.
4. Notice how they compare.

wink_face.gif

The HE 90 is awesome-sounding, and vastly more detailed than the HD 600 sonically, but they are both natural-sounding headphones that seem to play anything really well. 

After listening to the HE 90 and HD 600 it became apparent just how great the HD 600 perform for their price.

Feb 12, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #63 of 23,455

Quote:
Quote:

eek.gif

Easy, here's how.

1. Find a location, preferably a quiet room, that contains the HE90, the HD 600, quality source and amp, and some great music.

wink_face.gif

The HE 90 is awesome-sounding, and vastly more detailed than the HD 600 sonically, but they are both natural-sounding headphones that seem to play anything really well. 

After listening to the HE 90 and HD 600 it became apparent just how great the HD 600 perform for their price.

A little OT (perhaps better through PM?) but, how does the HD650 compare? I haven't had a chance to audition the HE-90.

Feb 12, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #64 of 23,455

Quote:
Quote:

eek.gif

Easy, here's how.

wink_face.gif

So do they have similar sound signatures then?

Feb 12, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #65 of 23,455

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

eek.gif

Easy, here's how.

wink_face.gif

So do they have similar sound signatures then?

Compared to the HD 600, the HE 90 has more frequency extension, a wider soundstage, and is lusher sounding. Though the HE 90 sounded slightly coloured, that never got in the way of the music. The HE 90 and HD 600 are both neutral sounding open headphones that seem to play everything really well.

Feb 13, 2011 at 5:19 AM Post #66 of 23,455

Quote:
Quote:

eek.gif

Easy, here's how.

wink_face.gif

lol.

just as a matter of interest.....is the he90 worth 30x more than the 600?

Feb 13, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #67 of 23,455
They HE 90 don't sound 30 times better than the HD 600, but I'd most probably get an HE 90 / Orpheus set up if I could.

Feb 13, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #69 of 23,455
So... Are there any cheaper alternatives to the Cardas cable? 

Also, I'm going to buy a dedicated amp. I have an E7 which is doing an average job I suppose, but I am deciding between buying an E9 to go with it, or spending much more money on something like a Burson, Yulong or maybe some Tubes. The most I want to spend is around $250 I suppose. 

Feb 13, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #70 of 23,455

Quote:

Also, I'm going to buy a dedicated amp. I have an E7 which is doing an average job I suppose, but I am deciding between buying an E9 to go with it, or spending much more money on something like a Burson, Yulong or maybe some Tubes. The most I want to spend is around $250 I suppose. 

If you haven't done it already, the HD 650 cable works well.  I upgraded for the physical feel... I can't hear any difference between the two cables - and there's people claiming that either one of cables sounds better...

I just spent the money on a Schiit Asgard after some very quick e-mail responses from Jason (co-owner and co-engineer at Schiit) regarding its input voltage switching (a soldered jumper is set to 115 V or 230 V).  Those who've tried it with the HD 600 have reported good "synergy" (Oh, how I hate that word!), and it certainly has enough current/voltage for them (and pretty much every other headphone out there).  It's only $250 in the US (made in the USA!), but I'm paying international shipping and then the jolly good 25% VAT here in Sweden since I didn't think to get it when I was home for Christmas...

Feb 13, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #72 of 23,455

Quote:

I wouldn't even be thinking about an aftermarket cable until I got a better DAC and amp. My previous recommendation was the Musiland 02US if you're on a budget.

Feb 13, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #73 of 23,455

Quote:
....and anyway, why are the Cardas Cables mostly the first pick for these?

Beats me... It'd be interesting to see the sales figures for the different lengths.  The 1 m/4 ft certainly would interest me as a portable cable just because it's shorter, although I think I might just re-terminate the original cable as a shortened one and save the $170...

Feb 13, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #74 of 23,455

Quote:
Quote:

I wouldn't even be thinking about an aftermarket cable until I got a better DAC and amp. My previous recommendation was the Musiland 02US if you're on a budget.

Agreed.  AFAIAC cables should be an afterthought, especially when they can approach or exceed the cost of the headphones so that you could have upgraded to the next level transducer...

That Musiland looks interesting.  I'm running a uDAC as an ultra-portable source (I needed something USB-powered) and it performs admirably well.  On a budget (or as a portable toy) I definitely recommend it (and therefore its successor the uDAC 2).  But for someone with an E7 already it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back