Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Feb 3, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #6,061 of 23,482
  I wonder if the Bunyip has a pair of HD600's and what he amps them with? I was wondering how much of a premium do you pay for cans, Down Under. I know you guys get overcharged for a lot of things.

No, I don't have the HD600s.  Here in Australia, over the counter...this is how much I paid - cash - before I realised the benefits of head-fi.

HD650 = $600
K701  =  $800
D7000  =  $2300

Trying to find the right sound was starting to cost a lot without head-fi - let's not forget amps and dacs - retail - cash...I'd rather not think about it.
  I (very briefly) heard some T50rp yesterday, and I've always read reports of them being lean on bass, and low-mids.

It didn't even feel like "roll-off" to me, it just felt like a steep plummet. 

They were, however, very comfortable. 

Yeah rubbish, that's what I thought I implied.  But get this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDkZsW4PYFs

studio use 
confused_face_2.gif

Feb 3, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #6,062 of 23,482
I bought the HD 600 about a month back and recently upgraded to the O2/ODAC combo and I love it!

I have a question about the gain switch, though; is there any point in using it with the HD 600? I'm guessing no as it seems like it just increases the volume to ridiculous levels to the point where the sound just ends up slightly distorted. I'm getting plenty of volume with the gain switch off and the volume knob at around the 11 o'clock mark.

Am I correct in assuming that if the sound is loud enough, it's generally better to use low gain? I recall reading that somewhere.

Feb 3, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #6,063 of 23,482
  I'm guessing no as it seems like it just increases the volume to ridiculous levels to the point where the sound just ends up slightly distorted. I'm getting plenty of volume with the gain switch off and the volume knob at around the 11 o'clock mark.

The gain is also impacted by the source output level. If you are experiencing the above then use the low gain...

Feb 3, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #6,064 of 23,482
  I bought the HD 600 about a month back and recently upgraded to the O2/ODAC combo and I love it!

I have a question about the gain switch, though; is there any point in using it with the HD 600? I'm guessing no as it seems like it just increases the volume to ridiculous levels to the point where the sound just ends up slightly distorted. I'm getting plenty of volume with the gain switch off and the volume knob at around the 11 o'clock mark.

Am I correct in assuming that if the sound is loud enough, it's generally better to use low gain? I recall reading that somewhere.

Basically, use the low gain. If you aren't happy with the decibel levels (not sound quality) you're getting out of it, move to the high gain, but know you're introducing some grain with the change.

Feb 3, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #6,066 of 23,482
D7000 for 2300bucks...?????? in aussie dollars???? oooommmmgggggg 
confused_face.gif

==========

whenever i hit the HIGH gain switch , i felt the mids move forward.
It works for me on cans with V shaped signatures. eg D7k, Pro900

===========

Feb 3, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #6,067 of 23,482
I also saw these earphones - I knew nothing of IEMS the - at Harvey Norman for $800...I bought them there and then.  They were Shure SE530s.

I figured I'd join the experience with fellow head-fiers that say no to bright and splashy hi-hats and cymbals, that do not sound tonally correct or volume wise.

Feb 3, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #6,068 of 23,482
  I also saw these earphones - I knew nothing of IEMS the - at Harvey Norman for $800...I bought them there and then.  They were Shure SE530s.

I figured I'd join the experience with fellow head-fiers that say no to bright and splashy hi-hats and cymbals, that do not sound tonally correct or volume wise.

Well if you're looking for the ridgy-didge headphone, you'll have to hit your kick once again and pick up an HD600. Kinda picture a Cockroach from Down Under wearing German cans.
biggrin.gif

Feb 4, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #6,070 of 23,482
  aaawwww...you've hurt my feelings.  
frown.gif

That's just an excuse for a visit to the bottle shop followed by getting rotten and a Dingo's breakfast. A quick listen to an HD600 and some Vegemite and you'll be good to go again.

Feb 4, 2014 at 7:17 AM Post #6,072 of 23,482
  That's just an excuse for a visit to the bottle shop followed by getting rotten and a Dingo's breakfast. A quick listen to an HD600 and some Vegemite and you'll be good to go again.

My sides.. Oh god

So you got rotten last night as well. Are you another one from Botany Bay out in the open at Bourke Street?
So how much did the Bushrangers get out of you for your HD600's? Why is everything so overpriced in God's Own Country?

Feb 4, 2014 at 7:33 AM Post #6,075 of 23,482
Never heard that one...I'm a suburbinite...but it's always a pleasure to meet you country folks when I'm out in the bush.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back