Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jan 25, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #5,881 of 23,482
  I had the same observations when comparing both cans and bought the HD600's. I do the same, EQ up the bass to taste. I got better results, for myself, doing that than getting the HD650s as its treble is recessed compared to its mids. The HD600's are more sensitive and easier to amp.

Agreed. I'm really enjoying them and prefer them over the 650s but I can see why some people would own both. They certainly have different sound signatures. Not sure where the extra cost for the 650s comes from though. :)

Don't you think that these combo are too bright? Or a little bright? Or you totally love them?

It is bright, yes. Too bright? I don't think so. I only have about four hours of listening time on the combo so time will tell. However, I can say that the Schiit stack is similar to the Maverick Audio Tubemagic D1 Plus, albeit not as powerful (I think that DAC/Amp puts out twice the wattage at of the Magni at 300 ohms). Compared to a CMoy pocket amp, which can actually drive the 600s, the Schiit stack has much more clarity and "sparkle".

Jan 25, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #5,882 of 23,482
  First time poster here!

I recently purchased a Schiit Magni/Modi and a used pair of HD 600s. Needless to say, I'm very impressed. I'm coming from an HD 448 with a CMoy pocket amp; I'm hearing things I didn't even know were there on most tracks I've listened to on the HD 600.

I should add, a friend of mine purchased a pair of HD 650s last week and listening to both side by side from the Schiit stack, I think the 600s have slightly better highs. With that said, I have EQ'ed them to add a little bump to the lower frequencies to match my listening preference and they handled that surprisingly well.

And dat marble...I love it!

Congrats! I think the HD 600 and Magni/Modi are a really really great combo.

Jan 25, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #5,883 of 23,482
  Don't you think that these combo are too bright? Or a little bright? Or you totally love them?

I don't think they are. I'm a big fan of bright signatures and this combo still keeps the neutral treble and overall warmth.

Jan 25, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #5,884 of 23,482
  I don't think they are. I'm a big fan of bright signatures and this combo still keeps the neutral treble and overall warmth.

There is brighter cans than HD600 ... Like a DT 880 .

Jan 25, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #5,885 of 23,482

There is brighter cans than HD600 ... Like a DT 880 .

I never said their weren't. Of course there are. This is the HD 600, after all. The person was wondering if the combo made them too bright and I wrote that as a way to draw context.

Jan 25, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #5,886 of 23,482
  I never said their weren't. Of course there are. This is the HD 600, after all. The person was wondering if the combo made them too bright and I wrote that as a way to draw context.

yeah i was going to edit , but too late now
wink.gif
, i agree that even with a bright source the HD600 will still have a fairly neutral warmish signature .

Jan 25, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #5,887 of 23,482
  Congrats! I think the HD 600 and Magni/Modi are a really really great combo.

Thanks! They certainly seem to compliment each other. For a $200 stack, or close to $300 to Canada, it seems well worth the price. I've only had them for two days but every time I put them on I'm surprised by how good they sound.

Jan 25, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #5,890 of 23,482
  Could no longer resist and jumped onto a €180 E-Bay pair of 600's for the final(?) death-match versus the 650. Looking forward!

Quote:
Looking forward to hearing your opinion on the two! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Same here. I purposely stayed away from the HD 600 for a while because I thought it would be too warm for me until an opportunity I couldn't pass on came up. Now I have the same feelings about the HD 650, but am probably looking to get a pair anyway because Senn has built up a little bit of my faith in them. Will I be pleasantly surprised again? Who knows.

Jan 25, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #5,891 of 23,482
  Same here. I purposely stayed away from the HD 600 for a while because I thought it would be too warm for me until an opportunity I couldn't pass on came up. Now I have the same feelings about the HD 650, but am probably looking to get a pair anyway because Senn has built up a little bit of my faith in them. Will I be pleasantly surprised again? Who knows.

Now that you have HD600's, why not save up for something in a different technology, like Planar Magnetics (Orthodynamics)? You will not be disappointed.

Jan 25, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #5,892 of 23,482
  Now that you have HD600's, why not save up for something in a different technology, like Planar Magnetics (Orthodynamics)? You will not be disappointed.

Oh ho ho. I just sold my HE-400 about a week ago and there's nothing about it I'm missing. Will probably try an HE-560 when it becomes available later this year.

Jan 25, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #5,893 of 23,482
  Now that you have HD600's, why not save up for something in a different technology, like Planar Magnetics (Orthodynamics)? 

I would counter that with: Why save up for something else?

I see a lot of folks make posts here that say something like "I got this great new headphone/DAC/amp and I really like it a lot.  What should I buy next?"  If you have audio equipment and like it why look for ways to spend more money?  The disease of upgradeitis is a miserable condition and a never ending treadmill of disappointment because every time you get your new whatever there is only the brief feeling of contentment, and once the new has worn off you are looking for your next fix.  

That is not to say that you should buy a headphone and be stuck with it for life.  I'm just saying that you should look closely at what is actually giving you enjoyment. Is it using the gear or is the temporary happiness you get from getting new gear?

Jan 25, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #5,894 of 23,482
  Oh ho ho. I just sold my HE-400 about a week ago and there's nothing about it I'm missing. Will probably try an HE-560 when it becomes available later this year.

I have the HD600's and HE-500's. IMO I wouldn't miss the HE-400's either. You ever get a chance to listen to HE-500's, properly amped?

Jan 25, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #5,895 of 23,482

I would counter that with: Why save up for something else?

I see a lot of folks make posts here that say something like "I got this great new headphone/DAC/amp and I really like it a lot.  What should I buy next?"  If you have audio equipment and like it why look for ways to spend more money?  The disease of upgradeitis is a miserable condition and a never ending treadmill of disappointment because every time you get your new whatever there is only the brief feeling of contentment, and once the new has worn off you are looking for your next fix.  

That is not to say that you should buy a headphone and be stuck with it for life.  I'm just saying that you should look closely at what is actually giving you enjoyment. Is it using the gear or is the temporary happiness you get from getting new gear?

I enjoy both HD600's and HE-500's. If I just stuck to the HD600's and didn't get the HE-500's my listening pleasure would not have suffered. But since I have both, I ain't suffer'in either. And no, I'm not rushing off a cliff to get a pair of sr-009's.
biggrin.gif
. Stax's cheaper stuff which is not cheap is butt oogly. Would you want to put that (below) on your head, especially since it has up to 100V RMS running through it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back