Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jan 21, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #5,821 of 23,483
  880 pro because it costs only 200$ but cant afford the 600 ohm version as it costs 350$

In that case, I am better off with HD600 at 310$ I guess.

Was just sceptical about sennys fibre build, and would my DIY amps would drive em good..

The HD600 is not that hard to drive. It's 112 dB at 1V RMS. So that'll be 118 dB at 2V RMS, ouch. Can your amp handle that at 300 Ohms? The build quality is fine and they are very comfortable.

Jan 21, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #5,823 of 23,483
  I think it can handle the HD600's 300 ohms.

by the way which amp/ dac or amp setup is very good for HD600's in 100$ range?

HD600 likes tubes?

I enjoyed using the Schiit Magni amplifier and Modi DAC. I purchased them prior to the release of the Vali so i cannot commit on that. I've continued to use the Modi paired with a bottlehead crack + Speedball. Very good hardware for $99 USD each. 

Jan 21, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #5,824 of 23,483
  I think it can handle the HD600's 300 ohms.

by the way which amp/ dac or amp setup is very good for HD600's in 100$ range?

HD600 likes tubes?

It likes Solid State and hybrids as well. A good amp knows not what technology. If it can be driven, the distortion is lower than can be perceived and the FR flat, you have a winner.
Portable or desktop? $100 total or for each device? Android, PC or both? Or something else?

Jan 21, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #5,826 of 23,483
  I am working out between HD600 and DT880/250 Pro  have to buy without listening :frowning2:

Paired with an neutral source [smartphone]  with an simple DIY 12AU7 tube amp having plenty driving power,

which of DT880/250 Pro and HD600 may sound more "pleasant" ?

"Pleasant" means:
clear,clean sound
good sound-stage
very good  details
good for all genres

But I do not like Veil/lag/muffle in an headphone and it should be durable, well built, easy to service.

Anybody heard all 3 GR07, DT880/250 Pro and HD600?

because I only know the sound of GR07 and like them very much, Just wishing an upgrade from it, I am afraid of making an wrong decision.

I've heard all three. I reckon the DT880 sounds closer to the GR07. You also get all ticks for your definition of "Pleasant". The HD600's are more warm and involving sounding with less clarity, good sound-stage that is involving but smaller and not as expansive than the DT880, detailed enough but the DT880 accentuates it, BUT I liked the Senn's for all genres instead of the Beyers. Last point is pretty subjective however so you can decide.

Disclaimer: Heard all three, passed my chance of purchasing the 880 after auditioning it, and sold the GR07. HD580 is a keeper =D

Jan 21, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #5,827 of 23,483
  It likes Solid State and hybrids as well. A good amp knows not what technology. If it can be driven, the distortion is lower than can be perceived and the FR flat, you have a winner.
Portable or desktop? $100 total or for each device? Android, PC or both? Or something else?

100$ in total, portable or desktop does not matter just want superior sound, I dont have any android devices though, I have an Nokia 808 phone and a PC
Quote:

I've heard all three. I reckon the DT880 sounds closer to the GR07. You also get all ticks for your definition of "Pleasant". The HD600's are more warm and involving sounding with less clarity, good sound-stage that is involving but smaller and not as expansive than the DT880, detailed enough but the DT880 accentuates it, BUT I liked the Senn's for all genres instead of the Beyers. Last point is pretty subjective however so you can decide.

Disclaimer: Heard all three, passed my chance of purchasing the 880 after auditioning it, and sold the GR07. HD580 is a keeper =D

Thanks! But Damn! you last statement put me in oblivion :p  Very unfortunate for me No auditioning here in India

How does DT880 Differ from GR07 in lows, mids and highs?
please compare for me, details retrieval how are both comparatively?
The slightly emphasized treble of DT880 equates with the treble of GR07?

I like the GR07 very much.. If DT880/250 sounds close then its easier to buy it,
but I never heard any of these, and making an long term investment, and probably my only headphone for next 10 years.

I am ready to buy HD600's for additional 100$ than Dt880/250 pro but just want to make an right decision.

Thanks!

Jan 21, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #5,828 of 23,483

100$ in total, portable or desktop does not matter just want superior sound, I dont have any android devices though, I have an Nokia 808 phone and a PC

Thanks! But Damn! you last statement put me in oblivion :p  Very unfortunate for me No auditioning here in India

I like the GR07 very much.. If DT880/250 sounds close then its easier to buy it,
but I never heard any of these, and making an long term investment, and probably my only headphone for next 10 years.

I am ready to buy HD600's for additional 100$ than Dt880/250 pro but just want to make an right decision.

Thanks!

You looking to spend $100 for an amp and another $100 for a DAC or $100 for both or just an amp? Ras Malai will run you extra.

Jan 21, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #5,829 of 23,483
  You looking to spend $100 for an amp and another $100 for a DAC or $100 for both or just an amp? Ras Malai will run you extra.

Well till near future, just 100$ in total. But I can save up to 200$ in total but takes the time of about nearly 1 year.

and please no fiio,no schiit for me

Ras Malai? Isnt it an dessert :p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ras_malai

Jan 21, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #5,830 of 23,483

Thanks!

HD580 is practically the same headphone as the HD600.  Some say there is a small difference in sound but many including myself think they sound the same especially once you swap out the plastic outer grilles for the metal mesh grilles of  the HD600/650.

I hate to sound like a fanboi but honestly I can't imagine you'd ever come to regret buying an HD600.  

Jan 21, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #5,831 of 23,483

Well till near future, just 100$ in total. But I can save up to 200$ in total but takes the time of about nearly 1 year.

and please no fiio,no schiit for me

Ras Malai? Isnt it an dessert :p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ras_malai

I was joking about the Ras Mali. You didn't answer my question about Amp, DAC or both. What's your problem with Schiit or FiiO?

Jan 21, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #5,832 of 23,483
Well,

Schiit products are difficult to get into India and they get 30 percent taxes.

I just developed a taste of dislike towards fiio after my dislike for X3 and returned it.

If DAC  comes inbuilt with an amp then its good  isnt it? I dont have much info on them

I mainly use the device [amp/dac] and headphones with my mobile phone and rarely PC so they should be compatible with phone and PC. portability is not an issue

Jan 22, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #5,833 of 23,483
  Well,

Schiit products are difficult to get into India and they get 30 percent taxes.

I just developed a taste of dislike towards fiio after my dislike for X3 and returned it.

If DAC  comes inbuilt with an amp then its good  isnt it? I dont have much info on them

I mainly use the device [amp/dac] and headphones with my mobile phone and rarely PC so they should be compatible with phone and PC. portability is not an issue

I wouldn't judge FiiO based only upon the X3. I don't know of any DAC that will work with your Nokia phone. You will have two challenges, finding a DAC/Amp that works with your Nokia and finding one at your price point. If you find one that meets your criteria, it may not sound all that good at that price point. You might consider waiting and saving some more rather than wasting the $100.

Jan 22, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #5,834 of 23,483
  I wouldn't judge FiiO based only upon the X3. I don't know of any DAC that will work with your Nokia phone. You will have two challenges, finding a DAC/Amp that works with your Nokia and finding one at your price point. If you find one that meets your criteria, it may not sound all that good at that price point. You might consider waiting and saving some more rather than wasting the $100.

Yeah, Thats what I was thinking and will save em up

Jan 22, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #5,835 of 23,483

quoted for truth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back