Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Dec 13, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #5,432 of 23,482
  I made a terrible mistake today
This morning I was waiting for my commuter bus, the last one for my office and it didn't arrive and man it was freezing. Well I had a ticket for another bus to my old office, which is still mine and has my name on it, the location is across the street from J&R Music World. So around lunchtime before jumping on the PATH to cross the river to my new office, I decided to lob into J&R. I happened to have my Portable DAC and Portable amp with me, so all the better. While there I listened again to the HD700 and reconfirmed my previous experience with them, a bit too bright compared to my HD600's. Then I listened to the HD650's and again as compared to my HD600's a tad too dull in the treble department, the bass was nice but I still prefer the HD600's.  Then I made my mistake, listening to the HD800, damn I want one. And contrary to popular belief, these are much easier to drive than people make them out to be, they are quite sensitive for 300 Ohm cans, more sensitive than the HD600's, 5 db/mW more sensitive. If you make the voltage swing these babies can sing.
Well right now I'm listening to my HD600's and however impressed I am by the HD800's, they're not $900 better. And yes, I am happy listening to my HD600's, only my ears have been bitten by the bug. I think all hope is lost, I think that I'll start putting something ($$$) aside. 
happy_face1.gif

They've probably given me the most enjoyment out of any audio purchase. And you can't put a price on that! 

I also think that they are the natural upgrade option from the HD600. The 600's are the nearest hp below the 800's in regards to tone, balance, depth imo. Some think that the K/Q01's are. I'm a massive K/Q701 fan but the 600's are closer to the 800's ime. The AKG's have a completely different sound signature and only share the same large soundstage, but even then the imaging is different. You have to eq them to sound more like the Senn's. 

But as you say, they aren't $900 better than the 600's. So folks that are reading and thinking they can never afford that now. Don't worry! You already have the next best thing. And I still use both regularly.

Dec 13, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #5,433 of 23,482

You think that's bad? 

I made the mistake of going to a head-fi meet that had the HD800, LCD-3, ORPHEUS, and SR-009. 

The HD800 sounded just ok next to the 009, so my new game plan is to stick with the HD600 and Crack until I can afford the SR-009/BHSE combo.

The performance line looked something like this to me (in technicalities. I still preferred the HD600 to the HD800 tonality wise). Each dash represents performance gaps:

HD600-LCD-2---HD800--LCD-3--------------------------SR-009.

So from my perspective, it doesn't make sense to pay that much for a relatively incremental upgrade when I could save up for a bit for something that's truly end game. It really made all else sound like dirty windows into the music.

Dec 13, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #5,434 of 23,482

You think that's bad? 

I made the mistake of going to a head-fi meet that had the HD800, LCD-3, ORPHEUS, and SR-009. 

The HD800 sounded just ok next to the 009, so my new game plan is to stick with the HD600 and Crack until I can afford the SR-009/BHSE combo.

The performance line looked something like this to me (in technicalities. I still preferred the HD600 to the HD800 tonality wise). Each dash represents performance gaps:

HD600-LCD-2---HD800--LCD-3--------------------------SR-009.

So from my perspective, it doesn't make sense to pay that much for a relatively incremental upgrade when I could save up for a bit for something that's truly end game. It really made all else sound like dirty windows into the music.

Even the SR-407 made all of my dynamic cans sound that way. Probably to a much lesser extent though. The difference was somewhat subtle but very powerful. The grain and congestion my dynamic cans had by comparison "couldn't be unseen", as they say.

Dec 13, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #5,436 of 23,482
You guys trying to get me divorced? I'm can only assume that the cost of amping the Stax is inline with its lofty price.  
eek.gif
  Heck, I just paid off my cars and was feeling good.

Dec 13, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #5,437 of 23,482
  You guys trying to get me divorced? I'm can only assume that the cost of amping the Stax is inline with its lofty price.  
eek.gif

Ha, that's why I'm in no rush either. The meet really helped put things in perspective for me. The HD600 is a fantastic phone, and newer =/= better.

Dec 13, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #5,438 of 23,482
eek.gif

Ha, that's why I'm in no rush either. The meet really helped put things in perspective for me. The HD600 is a fantastic phone, and newer =/= better.

Yes, I certainly agree that the HD600 is fantastic, better than most things I've heard, only that HD800 keeps gnawing at my ears as if it has teeth and has got a hold of me. To me the HD650 and HD700, "Just don't cut it." Of course nature is cruel, I'd almost bet the day after I get an HD800, Sennheiser will have a press release about the HD900. You see, I already picture an HD800 bolted onto my head.

Dec 14, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #5,439 of 23,482
The HD600 is really great , compared to a Beyer T1 yesterday night and most of this afternoon , and even if the T1 is superior techniquely i don't feel the GAP very huge , yes T1 have a more open sounding , a larger , airier, deeper soudstange , it put micro details and nuances more in evidence etc  but ...  Some will argue that i only have a O2 as amp , but with this same O2 , T1 no matched K702 / DT 880 etc  , but with HD600 it's another story ...

I am so in love with the naturalness of the HD600 , the beautifull mids and how life like is the tone of instruments and voices that i just simply prefer HD600 over any headphone that passed through my home . Peraphs another headphone will surpass this HD600 but for now , let's just enjoy it
smile.gif

Dec 15, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #5,440 of 23,482
Tyll from Innerfidelity said that Sennheiser will be phasing out the HD600 and maybe the HD650. Anyone have more information on this?

Dec 15, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #5,441 of 23,482
  Tyll from Innerfidelity said that Sennheiser will be phasing out the HD600 and maybe the HD650. Anyone have more information on this?

I spoke to someone at Sennhieser's marketing Dept. a few months ago. He said that they tried to phase the HD600's out a not so long ago but the orders kept coming in so they decided to keep making them since the demand is there. He didn't think that pissing off customers was a good plan, but I say that you never know what the future brings.

Dec 15, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #5,442 of 23,482
  I spoke to someone at Sennhieser's marketing Dept. a few months ago. He said that they tried to phase the HD600's out a not so long ago but the orders kept coming in so they decided to keep making them since the demand is there. He didn't think that pissing off customers was a good plan, but I say that you never know what the future brings.

Should the Senss decided decided to stop the prod , i wonder how much  Hd600 used cans priced
   will be ? I bet it is going to be high. But will be as  high as the vintage tube?
   Someone will be making a profit.
wink_face.gif

There is something special about hd600 & to me it is the musicality.
   He500 imo beats this unit in many aspects . He500  to me can produce good sound.
   When listening to He500, It is all about listening to music   & but with Hd600
   it is about feeling the music.

Some people listen to music but to some, they feel the music.
 There is no right or wrong , but i just prefer feeling the music.
 it is me & the music & nothing else in between - my audio nirvana.
rolleyes.gif

Dec 16, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #5,443 of 23,482
eek.gif

If i am not mistaken. Currawong sold her/his Stax sr009 & stick with dynamic headphone. 
  it is matter of preference, i think 

Dec 16, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #5,444 of 23,482

Should the Senss decided decided to stop the prod , i wonder how much  Hd600 used cans priced
   will be ? I bet it is going to be high. But will be as  high as the vintage tube?
   Someone will be making a profit.
wink_face.gif

There is something special about hd600 & to me it is the musicality.
   He500 imo beats this unit in many aspects . He500  to me can produce good sound.
   When listening to He500, It is all about listening to music   & but with Hd600
   it is about feeling the music.

Some people listen to music but to some, they feel the music.
 There is no right or wrong , but i just prefer feeling the music.
 it is me & the music & nothing else in between - my audio nirvana.
rolleyes.gif

Don't get me started on tubes
wink_face.gif

Hey, can't I listen to and feel the music? I think the HD600 can serve both aspects rather well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back