Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Oct 4, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #4,666 of 23,456
After three days listening, I couldn't be happier with the HD600. It performs exactly as I would wish it to.

Makes my best recordings sound spectacular – pristine, detailed and airy.
Plays nicely and forgivingly with my many older, rougher recordings.
Has all the zip I need when listening to plucked-string acoustic music, like my collection of lute recordings.
No part of the sound seems to be artificially emphasized. 

It's like having a relaxing yet invigorating bath and having the water constantly at the right temperature, never too hot or too cold, but just right.

Oct 4, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #4,667 of 23,456
Seems I'm in the minority here... I actually prefer the looks of the 600 over the rather bland 650. And the HD800... That looks like it was designed in the mid 80's! 

Oct 4, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #4,668 of 23,456
  After three days listening, I couldn't be happier with the HD600. It performs exactly as I would wish it to.

Makes my best recordings sound spectacular – pristine, detailed and airy.
Plays nicely and forgivingly with my many older, rougher recordings.
Has all the zip I need when listening to plucked-string acoustic music, like my collection of lute recordings.
No part of the sound seems to be artificially emphasized. 

It's like having a relaxing yet invigorating bath and having the water constantly at the right temperature, never too hot or too cold, but just right.

Well said! 
beerchug.gif

Oct 4, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #4,670 of 23,456
Yep.. I'm probably one of the eight people on earth who love how the HD600 looks.  In an era where it seems like every headphone is trying (sometimes, too hard) to look modern and/or futuristic.. I love the simple, unique, vintage look of the HD600.  I even dig the "marbling".. it's so, unmistakably, a look that's synonymous with the HD600.. what makes it palatable is the glossy finish.. so it always look 'new' in my hand.  As far as I know, there hasn't been a phone that's 'mimicked' the HD600 look in the twenty years it's been in existence (or however old it is).

Though.. I can understand why it's not for everyone (certainly not Adam.. LOL).

Oct 4, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #4,671 of 23,456
^^^ Now that is sexy! (the photo's)

Oct 4, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #4,672 of 23,456
  Seems I'm in the minority here... I actually prefer the looks of the 600 over the rather bland 650. And the HD800... That looks like it was designed in the mid 80's! 

I join the club. Would you welcome me? 

The only thing I would complain about the HD600, is a slight lack of "speed" or the ability to resolve finest detail in the music. Imo they sacrifice this for the buttery smooth sound signature.

But they are probably the easiest to listen cans around, nothing from the freq response sticks out, or annoys the listener.

Oct 4, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #4,674 of 23,456

I join the club. Would you welcome me? 

The only thing I would complain about the HD600, is a slight lack of "speed" or the ability to resolve finest detail in the music. Imo they sacrifice this for the buttery smooth sound signature.

But they are probably the easiest to listen cans around, nothing from the freq response sticks out, or annoys the listener.

Open arms my friend :)

I agree with what you are saying, and that is what is special imo. 

Oct 4, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #4,675 of 23,456
You're right, the HD800s are even uglier. (Seriously, what is with Sennheiser and ugly flagships?!?!?)

But it could be three times as ugly and I still wouldn't care. I love the way they (and the HD600s) sound. Like I always say, my eyes can't see my ears, so what do I care? :wink:

Oct 4, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #4,676 of 23,456
To me, I prefer utilitarian and durable designs in headphones. Things like the HD25-1 II, ATH-M50, DT770 Pro may seem basic but I just love their nondescript look. 

That being said, the HD600 looks great. One of the best-designed flagships available.

Oct 4, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #4,677 of 23,456
You're right, the HD800s are even uglier. (Seriously, what is with Sennheiser and ugly flagships?!?!?)

But it could be three times as ugly and I still wouldn't care. I love the way they (and the HD600s) sound. Like I always say, my eyes can't see my ears, so what do I care? :wink:

Amen to that! 
beerchug.gif

I consider myself very lucky to own both. 

Oct 4, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #4,678 of 23,456
I like the HD25s. Very practical.

And I have long thought that Beyer had the best basic frame design. Very robust and comfortable. But I found the DT770 a bit...I don't know. Flimsy, somehow, I guess. And I hated the DT880s. My favorite Beyers are the DT990s. The semi-open design adds some visual interest and also results in a very good sounding headphone.

For the old-school headphone look, I find Grados tough to beat. In particular, I had a pair of Alessandro MS-2s that I absolutely loved...(actually, I had two pairs - one stock and one woodied).

Oct 4, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #4,679 of 23,456
I am also one of the few that love the looks of the HD600!

@jjsoviet: Great pics there! That's pretty much exactly how they look in real life. Not really blue so much as a slightly blue-hued gray and mostly black. I like it a lot. And the 'marbling' gives it a nice vintage look IMO.

Oct 4, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #4,680 of 23,456
@amcananey ^^ yup RS1's are still one of my fave headphones to look at regarding Grado's. And sound actually.. Great for jazz. I used to have the DT880's but they didn't last long. I appreciated what they did... But dare I say, it was a trifle boring! Sorry 880 fans. I have looked at the 990's quite a few times and often considered checking them out for a fun fling. Might do so now :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back