Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Oct 3, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #4,606 of 23,456
But if you're looking for any sticker I suppose it'll do

Oct 3, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #4,607 of 23,456
For how modular (and popular) the HD600 is & has been, I'm surprised no fakes (even crude attempts) have popped up... ever.

Oct 3, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #4,608 of 23,456
Yeah I hear that. These have been around forever, it surprises me too. And the fact that there hasn't been any fakes that we know of doesn't mean there won't be. :wink: Don't forget, soon 3D printers will be the norm.

Oct 3, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #4,609 of 23,456
Actually, that IS the point, for all the reasons I've stated above.

If I can't tell whether the sticker is authentic or not at the moment I hand over my money, then the sticker is pointless, UNLESS it is being used to determine if products are eligible for manufacturer service. The goal is not to prove authenticity in the abstract. In theory, the goal is to keep people from buying fake products (where Sennheiser doesn't make any money), so that they will search out authentic products (from which Sennheiser does make money). But since you can't see the sticker in the packaging, wouldn't know if it was authentic even if you could see it, and there aren't any fake HD600s....

THE.

STICKERS.

ARE.

COMPLETELY.

POINTLESS...

...except for marketing.

And when was the last time you checked the hologram sticker on your install disks for anything? Do you have any idea what the hologram on those even looks like (or is supposed to look like)? Those stickers serve a completely different purpose. Their purpose is to show you if someone OPENED the paper sleeve the install disks come in. If they did, then someone might have installed the software on their computer, put the disks back in the sleeve and then resold it. You would be buying the disks, but (in theory) your license code or whatever wouldn't work. Those stickers are supposed to work by showing if they have been tampered with. The stress of opening the paper sleeve is supposed to cut/ruin/distort the security sticker.

Oct 3, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #4,610 of 23,456
Well.. Sennheiser told me if the sticker is removed, the HD600 will instantly disintegrate in your hands.  So, if you've got an HD600 w/o a hologram.. IT'S OBVIOUSLY A FAKE.

tongue_smile.gif

Oct 3, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #4,611 of 23,456
Lets get back on-topic. I agree with your points but you misunderstand mine. If nothing else they are useful internally at Sennheiser. No I do not check the holograms on my software discs because I know its unnecessary. It is for their internal use. When they audit their supply chains to find potential counterfeits or contract abuses, etc, yes it is useful. It can have little or nothing to do with you, the end user. It is for those that DO have access to or can identify or compare the authentic hologram (i.e. the manufacturer, its distributors, retailers, people who purchase a lot of Sennheiser equip, etc).

Lets get back to more specifically talking about the HD600 eh? :wink:

And honestly, thanks for the conversation and I do agree with your points aside from holographic sticker security being 100% useless except for the purposes you describe. There are other ways a company can be using them.

Oct 3, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #4,613 of 23,456
^ Definitely. Lately I've started thinking more and more that the HD600 owes a lot of its accurate tonality to its super velvety-smooth sound signature. I've noticed with my DT880, if I slightly EQ the 8khz peak down it has a more natural tonality closer to the HD600. I'm starting to suspect I might find the same thing if I do some EQ on the upper mids of these new K712s I've got but I haven't tried that yet. I'm starting to think that the sound signature is the single biggest advantage the HD600 has going for it. When I notice problems with other headphones these days its almost always something related to imperfections in its signature. That's assuming its technical abilities are up to snuff of course but a natural tone seems to be related quite closely to a headphone's signature. It makes you appreciate the HD600 more and more. In fact the HD600 are definitely the one headphone that has consistently improved in my perception of it. When I notice new things about the HD600s its aways a good thing! I can't say the same thing for the numerous other cans I've had and tried over the last 2 years...

Oct 3, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #4,614 of 23,456
I think some are missing a consideration. Counterfeit may or may not be a problem. More likely the stickers are also addressing the authenticity of the importer and seller. A holographic image could identify whether a headphone is distributed by Sennheiser USA or brought in as a gray import.
When I worked for a well-known Japanese camera manufacturer some years ago, gray imports were a huge consideration because unofficial dealers were vastly undercutting official dealers. Something like the sticker in question could be merely a visible step to show their official dealers that Sennheiser is doing something about gray imports on their behalf. 
Sennheiser are sticklers for trying to keep prices level between official dealers, but dealers will demand in return that action be taken so that gray importers don't undercut them.

Oct 3, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #4,615 of 23,456
I don't want to derail this thread again, but...

Distinguishing between gray market and authorized imports is important with cameras, because of warranty and repair considerations. The repair facility in Country A will usually refuse to repair cameras that weren't officially imported into that country. The repair facility therefore needs to have a way to distinguish between officially imported cameras and gray market imports. If you buy a gray market import, it may be cheaper, but you're going to have trouble if your camera goes kaput.

That is why I have consistently said that the hologram could matter for repair purposes, but ONLY if you had to send the headphones in to Sennheiser. Since that is rarely (if ever) the case, it is mostly irrelevant. You can just buy the necessary repair parts from Sennheiser and install them yourself.

Oct 3, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #4,616 of 23,456
I don't mean to offend anyone who likes it, but IMO the same could be said for the HD700 - just a different headphone, but not really better, and costs a LOT more.

Amen, the over-boosted treble to make it sound "audiophile grade" is ridiculous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back