Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Sep 23, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #4,323 of 23,456
DACport can power HD600 nicely?

Sep 23, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #4,328 of 23,456
  Guys... What portable dac amp or amp that able to power HD600 for laptop use? Other than O2amp? O2amp is good, but I prefer more input to make choice...

Edit: Sorry didn't see the word "portable". In this case the Fiio E12 is going to be as good as you can get under $150. It can also be used as a desktop amp (works while charging) but takes forever to charge. The Fiio E09k + E07k is another contender, if you can afford it.

Fiio E09k has more inputs/outputs and features with similar performance. If your on a budget though, I can personally vouch for the SMSL SAP III ($65 on ebay). It can compete with anything up to $150. Very neutral, great sound stage, no sibilance, and tuns of power. I never been past 11 o'clock on the dial. It's about 2 times the power of my Fiio E11, with better sound stage. Same power as my Bravo V2, but more neutral with less distortion (sibilance).

Sep 23, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #4,329 of 23,456
Nice collection there. Please share your thoughts on the MD3.2 vs the others? :) 

Gonna keep it short answer sweet
MD3.2 IMO versus HE500 and HD600
Bass: HE500 has bass that's on another level. The HD600 has slightly less than the MDs

Mids: the mids are slightly more forward and clearer on the HE500s. The mids on the hd600 are slightly pulled back and is less clear, there is more grain and some sort of veil which disappears once your ears get used to it.

Highs: the HE500s have highs that are on another level to the MDs. It's got that something extra without sounding harsh in the slightest. The HD600 have highs that extend further than the MDs

Soundstage: HE500 is larger than the MDs. The HD600 is even larger again.

Timbre: Both the MDs and the HE500s have a metallic, artificial sound that gets more emphasised with certain amps like my PB2. The HD600 has a more natural sound that once it's on your head you stop listening out for sounds and listen to the music. The MDs present more details than the hd600. The HE500s present the most details.

Comfort: the MDs are by far the most comfortable. The HD600 is quite comfortable and I wouldn't call the HE500s comfortable at all. It is the heaviest and has the least comfortable pads of the three.

Isolation: The MDs isolate the best, almost as good as a good IEM. The HE500s leak sound much worse than the hd600.

This is a quick and dirty impression whilst on the train without the cans in front of me. I only had about an hour with the HD600 last night

Sep 23, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #4,330 of 23,456
That's interesting because I would never refer to the HD600's mids as "pulled back" and I don't find the HD600 to have a particularly wide soundstage so its interesting to hear you say it is the largest of the three. Thanks for the comparisons. I'd love to hear the Mad Dogs and particularly the new Alpha Dogs. They are supposed to have an open-sounding soundstage in a closed can.

Sep 23, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #4,331 of 23,456
@spurxiii: I generally agree, except for the following:

1. I find the HD600s to be the most comfortable of that group.
2. I would put the MDs last in terms of detail.

Others here will surely disagree, but I consider the Mad Dogs to be a good, solid step down from the HD600s and HE-500s. That's not a knock on the Mad Dogs -- the HD600s and HE-500s punch waaaaay above their weight, and I consider both of those cans to be among the best values out there.

I should add that I haven't liked any of the various Fostex T50rp derivatives I've tried, including an incredibly beautiful pair of Thunderpants that I had.

There is nothing wrong with the MDs per se, I just don't find them very interesting or exciting to listen to. The sound always strikes me as very flat and leaden. It's not veiled or colored, or lacking in any real technical sense, they're just a bit lifeless.

Others love the MDs, so the above is obviously just my opinion and worth exactly what you paid for it.

Regards,
Adam

Sep 23, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #4,332 of 23,456
Has anyone tried the foam removal mod or is using it with his HD600? I just removed the foam behind the ear pads and it seems to open up the highs a bit more. Gonna leave my Senns like this in the meantime. 

Sep 23, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #4,333 of 23,456
That's interesting because I would never refer to the HD600's mids as "pulled back" and I don't find the HD600 to have a particularly wide soundstage so its interesting to hear you say it is the largest of the three. Thanks for the comparisons. I'd love to hear the Mad Dogs and particularly the new Alpha Dogs. They are supposed to have an open-sounding soundstage in a closed can.
the pulled back was only a comparison against the MDs. The MDs are open sounding but not as pen as either the HE500s or the hd600

Sep 23, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #4,334 of 23,456
@spurxiii: I generally agree, except for the following:

1. I find the HD600s to be the most comfortable of that group.
2. I would put the MDs last in terms of detail.

Others here will surely disagree, but I consider the Mad Dogs to be a good, solid step down from the HD600s and HE-500s. That's not a knock on the Mad Dogs -- the HD600s and HE-500s punch waaaaay above their weight, and I consider both of those cans to be among the best values out there.

I should add that I haven't liked any of the various Fostex T50rp derivatives I've tried, including an incredibly beautiful pair of Thunderpants that I had.

There is nothing wrong with the MDs per se, I just don't find them very interesting or exciting to listen to. The sound always strikes me as very flat and leaden. It's not veiled or colored, or lacking in any real technical sense, they're just a bit lifeless.

Others love the MDs, so the above is obviously just my opinion and worth exactly what you paid for it.

Regards,
Adam

1. The HD600 camping force was a bit much. Once I sort it out I should be sweet.

2. I heard more details in the MDs but it may be just the selection of random songs I had on when doing the

I just got the HD600 so need to get used to them. I didnt like the MDs when I first got them and nearly sold them. But as you can see I love them and probably a bit biased at the moment

Sep 23, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #4,335 of 23,456
Has anyone tried the foam removal mod or is using it with his HD600? I just removed the foam behind the ear pads and it seems to open up the highs a bit more. Gonna leave my Senns like this in the meantime. 

Me. I feel it definitely opens them up a bit more, in a good way. Preferable way, really. Conversely, I did just put the ear pad foam back in recently and I'm pretty sure I prefer them without.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back