Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Sep 19, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #4,277 of 23,456
  Finally got to own some HD600's today. It's one of those headphones that I missed out on on my journey as I instead went for the 650's. But I've always wanted to try them. 

Anyways, I'm really impressed. I can say for certain that I prefer them over the 650's. They have such a well balanced presentation. Excellent timbre as to be expected with Sennheiser. I'm also surprised at the soundstage, I've had the HD800's for about 8 months now and was expecting a much more closed in sound from the 600's. But theres not a great lot in it. I'll try and describe what I mean... 
The actual soundstage is very similar in size with respect to how far the sound stretches from the centre to the sides/top to bottom. Only the image is larger on the HD800's. Kind of like going from a 32inch tv to a 42inch.
There is a slight difference in sound signature, as the 800's do have the extra frequency extension (or emphasis) at both ends, most noticeably in the treble. Details are more present and sharper with the 800's. The mids are very similar. Its early days but I might even prefer the bass of the 600's. It's a little more punchy. 

My advice to anyone who owns these that may never be able to afford the HD800's. Don't worry about! Just enjoy their friendlier little brother. 

I'm so happy to read impression I fully agree with. Except for bass. I'm impressed by HD800's bass :) 

I've got my HD580 before my HD800 and I was really surprised to find them so close.. In my opinion, HD800 is a kind of "uber" HD580/600.  More refined, more airy, more accurate and detailed but somewhat "too much" . HD580/600 sounds right for me although my HD800 is a step beyond reasonnable border. HD800 offers a very impressive audio experience and a very special way to enjoy music in an "audiophile way" but HD600 stays THE headphone I would advice for everyone listening to everything.  HD600 is a better all rounder and maybe more homogene.

Maybe I haven't spent enough money to bring my HD800 at its best too 
redface.gif

Sep 19, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #4,278 of 23,456
I'm a big fan of the HD600s, and I believe that, when coupled with the Bottlehead Crack, they are world-class, summit-Fi headphones. But I do not consider the gap between the HD600s and the HD800s to be small. Many might not feel that the difference is worth the price (I think it is), but I am consistently amazed by how the HD800s outperform not only the HD600s, but most flagship headphones from other manufacturers, by a significant margin.

Sep 19, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #4,279 of 23,456
HD800 is surely a better headphone than HD580/600 but the HD600 is in my opinion a kind of end game headphone too. A kind of reasonnable end game headphone 
biggrin.gif

Sep 19, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #4,280 of 23,456

I'm so happy to read impression I fully agree with. Except for bass. I'm impressed by HD800's bass :) 

I've got my HD580 before my HD800 and I was really surprised to find them so close.. in my opinion HD800 si a kind of "uber" HD580/600.  More refined, more airy, more accurate and detailed but somewhat "too much" . HD580/600 sounds right for me although my HD800 is a step beyond reasonnable border. HD800 offers a very impressive audio experience and a very special way to enjoy music in an "audiophile way" but HD600 stays THE headphone à would advice for everyone listening to everything.  HD600 is a better all rounder and maybe more homogene.

Maybe I haven't spent enough money to bring my HD800 at its best too 
redface.gif

Cheers buddy, yeah its very early days with me and these, but first impressions are always important :)

I'm a big fan of the HD600s, and I believe that, when coupled with the Bottlehead Crack, they are world-class, summit-Fi headphones. But I do not consider the gap between the HD600s and the HD800s to be small. Many might not feel that the difference is worth the price (I think it is), but I am consistently amazed by how the HD800s outperform not only the HD600s, but most flagship headphones from other manufacturers, by a significant margin.

Yeah don't get me wrong (but I'm on the HD600 appreciation thread :) I love the HD800's and they are my endgamers for sure. I just love the Sennheiser sound. Always have done. 6 years with only the 650's for company testifies that! But for peeps who are only ever gonna have set-ups with up to mid-price amps and sources I believe the HD600's are good enough to be endgamers. Same goes for the 650's. 

It's the tonality that they all share that is a family thing. Yes the the resolution, speed, air, are improved with the price. But the realness in timbre is shared by all the top end Senn's imo.  

Not sure why this bit is here for...? Only quoted 2 posts... 
confused_face.gif

Sep 20, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #4,281 of 23,456
HD800 is surely a better headphone than HD580/600 but the HD600 is in my opinion a kind of end game headphone too. A kind of reasonnable end game headphone :D

I couldn't agree more. To me, the HD600 and HE-500 are the two best deals in Summit -Fi. Between those, it comes down to the best amp. The best amp for the HD600s is the Bottlehead Crack, which costs about ~$300. The best amp for the HE-500s? Dunno, maybe the Violectric V200, at about 1,000? Anyway, the HD600s offers amazing performance at a budget-friendly price.

Sep 20, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #4,284 of 23,456
Sep 20, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #4,286 of 23,456
I had an old aftermarket DIY cable left from when I owned the 650's, so I hunted it out to try on my new 600's. It's a thick copper man size cable haha. 
I soon switched back to the "flimsy" stock one. It got on my nerves instantly. I always knew it was there.. I had to keep moving it out of my way when I moved around. 

I'm actually really welcoming the thinner cable. When you move your head its like its not there! This for me a nice contrast to the HD800 10 foot Python. 

Unless it breaks I won't be looking for an aftermarket for this phone. I always have done in the past and really like toxic cables, but I'm for once sticking with this one. 

Sep 20, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #4,288 of 23,456
  The 650 cable is the perfect 600 cable replacement.

Yeah it is a better made cable for sure.  

If you don't mind my asking, you have all of the top Senn's apart from the 598's? Have you not tried them, or do you not like them?

Only I'm so tempted to try them!  

Sep 20, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #4,289 of 23,456

Yeah it is a better made cable for sure.  

If you don't mind my asking, you have all of the top Senn's apart from the 598's? Have you not tried them, or do you not like them?

Only I'm so tempted to try them!  

In my experience , HD598 is not in the same league than HD600/650/800 . Very enjoyable headphone I often advice but far more mid-fi IMO . 

Sep 20, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #4,290 of 23,456
I got the HD558 for a friend and I had a few hours with it. Its not the 598 but its supposedly pretty close. I agree, it was good but wasn't quite up to the level of the HD600 which continues to surprise me in new ways from time to time even after more than a year of heavy use. The sound signatures are very similar between these. The 558s definitely had HD600-style forward mids. I really liked them and was pretty impressed especially for the price. I paid $115 for a refurbished pair. They're $131 on Amazon right now brand new with free Prime/SSS shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back