Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Aug 28, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #3,961 of 23,482
Quote:
I love my HD 600 but I was wondering if there is anything out there that is a worthwhile upgrade, while still being a great value. I looked at the Q701 and DT990 but those seem more like a side step, or even a step down. Has anyone upgraded to something that they feel is a significant improvement in sound and value?

Sound yes, value no. I've been able to demo the Stax 407 recently and am demo'ing the TH-600 right now, both have better sound but its hard to say they are a better or even equivalent value. The HD600 can be had for around $300 brand new, that's one of the best values in headphones. If you want better sound you'll have to pay a decent amount more. Something like the HE-500 might be considered an upgrade but again its pretty expensive and probably not the value that the HD600 is. Other than that the only clear upgrades are probably the high-end models like LCD2/3, HD700, HD800, T1 etc.

Aug 28, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #3,962 of 23,482
Quote:
I love my HD 600 but I was wondering if there is anything out there that is a worthwhile upgrade, while still being a great value. I looked at the Q701 and DT990 but those seem more like a side step, or even a step down. Has anyone upgraded to something that they feel is a significant improvement in sound and value?

I think MrSpeakers Mad Dog offers a different sound that is as good quality as the HD600. It's kind of addicting. Another phone well known for its cost to value ratio is the HE-400. 

Have you taken a look at this thread? http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13 At the end, the author rates headphones by value. The HD600 is near the top. I think if you want something different, and better in some ways, you should look at the HE-400. 

Aug 28, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #3,963 of 23,482
Quote:
So after two weeks of using my new HD600s, I finally decided to post here. These are my first real pair of over 50 headphones, and it may just be that I have never tried anything even near this price range (except beats... They were better than my headphones at the time but I don't think I can listen to them after getting these headphones) but at the very start I was actually underwhelmed.

"Well okay, this is what 400 sounds like? They're good but I don't think they're that amazing", I said to myself.

I listened to them for two days and I was very "wowed by it" (perhaps this has to do with break in).

after a week week I started noticing that I am noticing the many details I've missed over my years of listening to music. "So this is how a bass (the instrument. I've never really heard one in real life) actually sounds like", I would note. I never really was able to separate music like this before. And now I'm throwing everything I can find in my playlist at these headphones and finding little intricacies I've never caught before. It feels like I was missing way too much in the past. I'm not really listening to them with an amazing DAC/AMP, but I'm using a fiio e17 and I'm assuming these could scale even better with better gear. Now that I've gotten a taste of what audiophiles enjoy, I worry for my wallet in the future. I'm already looking at closed headphones/IEM's for listening to outside. Damn this website and reddit's /r/headphones for pointing me towards this. My wallet will never forgive me.

You made a fantastic first choice to get a taste of the "good stuff". What you describe is exactly what most audiophiles experience on their first good investment. You never know what your missing until you hear it. Then it is human nature to wonder, how much better can it get? Contentment is a virtue few audiophiles have for any extended period of time :p

Aug 28, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #3,964 of 23,482

For a real upgrade you'd have to step up to at least the HE-500, and after that it would be TOTL headphones like the HD800. I would skip the HD700 and its odd timbre. HE-400, Q701, and DT880 would be sidegrades at best, but there's nothing wrong with that if you want an alternative with a different flavour of sound.

Aug 28, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #3,965 of 23,482
Quote:
HE-400, Q701, and DT880 would be sidegrades at best, but there's nothing wrong with that if you want an alternative with a different flavour of sound.

I thought both the Q701 and DT880 had too much in common w/ the HD600 to be considered complimentary. At least the HE400 has different strengths... I wish the HD800 would come down in price. 

Aug 28, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #3,966 of 23,482
So after two weeks of using my new HD600s, I finally decided to post here. These are my first real pair of over 50 headphones, and it may just be that I have never tried anything even near this price range (except beats... They were better than my headphones at the time but I don't think I can listen to them after getting these headphones) but at the very start I was actually underwhelmed.

"Well okay, this is what 400 sounds like? They're good but I don't think they're that amazing", I said to myself.

I listened to them for two days and I was very "wowed by it" (perhaps this has to do with break in).

after a week week I started noticing that I am noticing the many details I've missed over my years of listening to music. "So this is how a bass (the instrument. I've never really heard one in real life) actually sounds like", I would note. I never really was able to separate music like this before. And now I'm throwing everything I can find in my playlist at these headphones and finding little intricacies I've never caught before. It feels like I was missing way too much in the past. I'm not really listening to them with an amazing DAC/AMP, but I'm using a fiio e17 and I'm assuming these could scale even better with better gear. Now that I've gotten a taste of what audiophiles enjoy, I worry for my wallet in the future. I'm already looking at closed headphones/IEM's for listening to outside. Damn this website and reddit's /r/headphones for pointing me towards this. My wallet will never forgive me.

As I said in the post above, you're not going to get anything significantly better without spending a lot more money, so until you're ready to spend all that moolah, don't bother thinking about upgrades and just enjoy your HD600. That said, a better amp and DAC would bring out even more potential out of the HD600. The next step up from your E17 would be something like the Modi+Magni ($200), a Grant TubeDAC-11 ($350), or Yulong D100 ($500).

Aug 28, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #3,967 of 23,482
I thought both the Q701 and DT880 had too much in common w/ the HD600 to be considered complimentary. At least the HE400 has different strengths... I wish the HD800 would come down in price. 

That's true, they are quite similar in terms of relative neutrality and performance for value. They do have their strengths though, notably a huge soundstage (Q701) and more bass and treble energy (DT880). The HE-400 is a lot more different though, with it's warmer sound and planar characteristics.

Aug 28, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #3,968 of 23,482
That's true, they are quite similar in terms of relative neutrality and performance for value. They do have their strengths though, notably a huge soundstage (Q701) and more bass and treble energy (DT880). The HE-400 is a lot more different though, with it's warmer sound and planar characteristics.

I don't feel that the DT880 has more bass, I think it's more detailed but not as punchy. The HD600 has a more meaty impact.

As I said in the post above, you're not going to get anything significantly better without spending a lot more money, so until you're ready to spend all that moolah, don't bother thinking about upgrades and just enjoy your HD600. That said, a better amp and DAC would bring out even more potential out of the HD600. The next step up from your E17 would be something like the Modi+Magni ($200), a Grant TubeDAC-11 ($350), or Yulong D100 ($500).
Tubemagic D1/+ is pretty good at the 200ish level.

Aug 28, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #3,969 of 23,482
Quote:
Looks great man!

Quote:
Looks great! I would stick with the matte. Glossy finishes often look tacky on headphones, and it's much less forgiving of imperfedtions.

Thanks!
bigsmile_face.gif
I think I will stick with the matte finish like you mentioned, I'd hate myself if I tried to glossy them up and didn't like the results... So far it's not flaking or leaving black paint or sparkles anywhere
tongue_smile.gif
so I think it's good to go and I'll call it finished.

I should have taken before, during, and after pictures..... oh well, maybe next time!

Aug 28, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #3,970 of 23,482
My HD600's are driven wonderfully with my Magni/Modi and HiFiMAN EF2A. They even sound amazing on my recently acquired E12 Mont Blanc.

If I was to consider upgrading, I know I would be looking into the $1000's. I don't see that happening anytime soon with how happy I am with my setup and just purchasing a new house....

Aug 28, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #3,971 of 23,482
Thanks for the insight guys. I think maybe I should look at amplifiers vs another headphone then. Right now I have the Fiio E11 and Bravo Audio V2. Both budget amps, they have enough power, but I wouldn't say they improve sound all that much vs driving direct from my X-FI or iMac. Would you guys say a good $200-300 amp is worthwhile, can you actually hear a difference when compared to decent sub$100 amps? If so, what would you recommend? Or should I look into a DAC first?

I was thinking about the Little Dot MK III if I go the tube route, I don't have the confidence for a DIY project. Maybe there's tubes that make the amp sound more neutral? Because I think I prefer the cleaner more neutral sound of solid state, but I like the look and additional power of tubes, and the idea of rolling. I would need something with a pre-out. I would consider buying used also. DAC wise I was looking at the ODAC.

Aug 28, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #3,972 of 23,482
Quote:

As an ex HD600 owner (as well as former K701, Q701, SR325i and current DT880 owner) - IMO the K/Q701, DT880 and similar are a step sideways.  Definitely worth sampling (I really appreciated being able to own the 3 former flags at the same time -K701/HD600/DT880) - but they are different rather than being an improvement.  If you are looking for a step up from the HD600 - you're actually pretty limited on options unless you  start looking at the flagships.

There are 2 exceptions IMO.  As others have mentioned - the HE500 looks to be a definite step between current HD600 and flagship.  You can get these for around the 550-600 dollar mark second hand.  I haven't heard one yet - but will do one of these days.

The other option is the SRH1840.  I know it was slammed for measurements by some people - but it can be picked up for around 500-550 second hand, and IMO is actually a step-up.  I own one (paid 525 for it).  Build is good, very lightweight and strong.  Comfort pretty good - one wish is that they would get the headband 100% right.  Sonically it is very neutral, no mid bass hump.  Sound stage similar to HD600 - not excessive.  Where it does stand out for me is in imaging, separation, and clarity.  To be honest I was not wowed in the first week of owning it.  But over the last couple of months I've come to appreciate what a great headphone it is.  It's not as natural sounding as the HD600 - but for me remains a viable step up.

Quote:
Thanks for the insight guys. I think maybe I should look at amplifiers vs another headphone then. Right now I have the Fiio E11 and Bravo Audio V2. Both budget amps, they have enough power, but I wouldn't say they improve sound all that much vs driving direct from my X-FI or iMac. Would you guys say a good $200-300 amp is worthwhile, can you actually hear a difference when compared to decent sub$100 amps? If so, what would you recommend? Or should I look into a DAC first?

I was thinking about the Little Dot MK III if I go the tube route, I don't have the confidence for a DIY project. Maybe there's tubes that make the amp sound more neutral? Because I think I prefer the cleaner more neutral sound of solid state, but I like the look and additional power of tubes, and the idea of rolling. I would need something with a pre-out. I would consider buying used also. DAC wise I was looking at the ODAC.

I know I mention this particular DAC/amp a lot - but it's because I think it is incredible value for money.  Definitely consider the Audio-gd NFB 15.32 (http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB15.32/NFB15.32EN.htm).  USD 235.00 plus shipping.  Well implemented dual Wolfson WM8741 and powerful class A amplification (DT880 600s are no problem).

It's probably not the be-all and end-all in resolution - but for the price it must be 'up there' in the value chain as a bang for buck option.  Although I've steadily progressed from SRH840 > SR325 > DT880 / K701 / HD600 > SRH1840 - I've never felt the need to seriously upgrade my source yet.  And with all the inputs/outputs - it's also an easy unit to isolate the DAC (dac out RCAs) and add a tube amp later (I now also use a LD MKIV).

I earlier had E7/E9, E11 etc.  And to my ears my NFB-12 (15.32 is equivalent NFB 12 with upgraded USB implementation) was a significant upgrade on the Fiios.

As with all of above YMMV - that's just my experience.

Aug 28, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #3,974 of 23,482
I thought that at first - but it's simply a matter of getting used to it's particular sound sig.  It's brighter than the HD600 for sure, but less so than the Beyer DT880.

From my experience - it's one of those cans you need to spend some time with before making a decision on it.  It grows on you.  I also thought it was quite bass light at first listen.  After a while you realise how good the bass really is - linear, extending reasonably well, no mid-bass hump, but no 'holes' either (like the SRH940).

It's the imaging and separation that get me though - a really accurate sound stage.

I read (before I got them) that they are like a poor mans HD800.  I have no idea if it's true or not - but I do know that if they have some similarities - then some time in the future I will need to buy an HD800.  In the meantime, I really like these.  So much so that I'll even be selling my DT880 soon - and I love those cans.  I just never use them anymore.

Since the SRH1840 arrived, I've sold my K701, Q701, HD600 - and soon my DT880.  That'll give you an idea of how much I like the 1840.

Aug 28, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #3,975 of 23,482
Quote:

Haha, I didn't mean actually upgrading my HD600s. I don't think I will in a few years either. I meant upgrading the AMP/DAC and getting a pair of closed headphones or IEM's because I don't ever take my HD600s out of my house (who would want to be that obnoxious guy who has the whole world listening to their music). Actually... I won't do any of that soon because I has no moolah... but that bottlehead crack is the most tempting thing I've ever seen in the world right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back