Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Feb 4, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #2,566 of 23,482
Quote:
I'm conflicted by some people saying they hear little difference between the Asgard and Magni.  Asgard being class A and Magni being class AB, should make them sound different.  I'm not saying that you made that statement either.

Not necessarily. The A/B amp might be able to go louder. The class A amp might have a little less distortion. The first point is moot if both amps go loud enough for your headphones as is. The second point is moot because your amp will probably put out less distortion than your transducer.

It does not follow that a different topology equals tonal differences.

Feb 4, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #2,568 of 23,482
New here......just got the HD600 today, and they sound very good out of the box with my tube amp.  Would like to know what changes "burn in" will bring?  What type of burn in material?  I have been using, in the past, high volume aggressive drum and bass.  Are the changes placebo, or verified changes in sound?  They sound very neutral/balanced with fantastic vocals......just what I was looking for in a long term relationship!  Would like to hear from a few of the diehard HD600 "audiophile type listeners".  Also, what cable types are preferred with these?  Copper, pure silver, SPC, pure silver and copper hybrid?

Feb 4, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #2,569 of 23,482
Quote:
New here......just got the HD600 today, and they sound very good out of the box with my tube amp.  Would like to know what changes "burn in" will bring?  What type of burn in material?  I have been using, in the past, high volume aggressive drum and bass.  Are the changes placebo, or verified changes in sound?  They sound very neutral/balanced with fantastic vocals......just what I was looking for in a long term relationship!  Would like to hear from a few of the diehard HD600 "audiophile type listeners".  Also, what cable types are preferred with these?  Copper, pure silver, SPC, pure silver and copper hybrid?

Use pink noise http://simplynoise.com/

I have a Norse Audio Reign Series cable.

Feb 4, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #2,575 of 23,482
Originally Posted by cute /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Were there sound improvements over the stock cable?  That is one good looking cable!

It's been bandied around (quite a bit) that the HD600's stock cable 'holds the HD600 back' in terms of sound.. I never used it long enough to find out/ABx (I bought custom SPC cable that was shorter cause it was easier to use).  The stock HD650 cable (which is available for fairly cheap, I think) is said to be of better build (and sound) quality.  Again, I've never tested any of this out (the stock HD600 cable sounded fine to me, actually).. just parroting what I've read in many places.

Feb 4, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #2,577 of 23,482
Quote:

It's been bandied around (quite a bit) that the HD600's stock cable 'holds the HD600 back' in terms of sound.. I never used it long enough to find out/ABx (I bought custom SPC cable that was shorter cause it was easier to use).  The stock HD650 cable (which is available for fairly cheap, I think) is said to be of better build (and sound) quality.  Again, I've never tested any of this out (the stock HD600 cable sounded fine to me, actually).. just parroting what I've read in many places.

I use the HD650 cable, and although i've never blind tested it against the HD600 cable, they sound identical to me (although some on here think otherwise).
I use the stock 650 cable because it is thicker and feels more durable, and terminates in a 1/4 plug (compared to the 1/8 inch termination of the 600 cable).
The 650 cable ($13.27) is also half the price of the 600 one ($27.42) on the sennheiserUSA website.

Feb 4, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #2,578 of 23,482
My thoughts and experience as well.

I use the HD650 cable, and although i've never blind tested it against the HD600 cable, they sound identical to me (although some on here think otherwise).
I use the stock 650 cable because it is thicker and feels more durable, and terminates in a 1/4 plug (compared to the 1/8 inch termination of the 600 cable).
The 650 cable ($13.27) is also half the price of the 600 one ($27.42) on the sennheiserUSA website.

Feb 4, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #2,579 of 23,482
Not sure if anyone knew this, but the HD-650 cable has a higher capacitance than the stock HD-600 cable.
When using the HD-650 cable on my HD-650, it's nice and warm and full sounding (not the cable silly). With the HD-600 cable..less so.
I think Sennheiser knows exactly what they want with their stock cables.  And nope i'm not saying they're measurable differences and will be barely audible for some.

Nothing wrong with the 650 cable on the HD-600 of course. Depends on preferences.
I prefer the HD-600 cable on the HD-600.

The HD-650 stock cable maybe be technically crappier than all thse $200+ cables (not really), but it sounds good to me. Not so much the cable, but with the HD-650.

If you have both the 650 and 600 (both with stock cables), try switching the cables for fun and using them that way for a week.

ignore this part:
My belief seems to be in cable capacitance. Less capacitance seem to make everything sound thinner/brighter and very high is warmer/fuller sounding, but with what seems like less treble (but not really). I think it's like the difference between the sound of the Q701 vs K701.

Feb 4, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #2,580 of 23,482
No real difference whatsoever between the ancient HD 580 cable and the HD 650 cable at least. It is not something that is possible weather you chose to believe so or not. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back