Sennheiser HD 6,7 & 8 DJ thread. Opinions, reviews, feedback, pics, discussions, etc.
Jan 25, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #77 of 1,133
Hey guys... Massive thanks to Rosmadi Mahmood for this opportunity. He has allowed me to try out the HD8 DJ. What follows are my thoughts, originally posted on my blog.

i trust you are referring to the AKG K550/K551 and not the discontinued open back K501 in your comparison

Jan 25, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #79 of 1,133
i trust you are referring to the AKG K550/K551 and not the discontinued open back K501 in your comparison

Oh wow, brain fart. Thank you for mentioning that. It is the AKG K550 that I meant. Correcting my story now :)

Jan 26, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #81 of 1,133
What about external noise isolation ? Compare please to HD25, Momentums?
I am more interrested about soundstage depth...

I found the HD7 and 8 isolated extremely well at the Las Vegas Convention Center considering the ambient noisefloor!
Compared to my HD 25-1 IIs - I'll have to wait to get them for formal impressions. But initial: VERY good. Up there w/ my Momentums - which I think isolate very well!
If any of these sounds like HD25-ii or Amperior but with better comfort, I will buy it right away. I'll wait on the edge of my seat for more comparisons.

That's what struck me about both HD7 and 8! But especially the HD7 - how it was like my trusty and globally-proven HD 25-1 IIs (man I traveled all over the world w/ those cans when I was DJing) but with more of everything! More gestalt in the extreme low-end, midrange clarity that surpassed my expectations, and highs that were far more extended than many DJ cans (that only nail the bass). I'm going to buy my review sample of the HD7 to replace my HD 25-1 IIs for DJing afterparties!!

Jan 26, 2014 at 7:10 AM Post #83 of 1,133
  for a basshead, IMO - the 8!

I'm a basshead but I prefer balanced midrange vs highs. Which one of the HD7 and 8 has more closer to "^--" shape response? Bass wise I'm looking for roughly 8-9dB or so peak boost, similar to that of Q40 which I feel have about perfect amount for me or something that is right there in-between that of HD25-II or V-Moda M80 and extreme basshead headphones such as Sony XB, Beats Studios etc. Furthermore a balanced midbass & subbass presence is extremely important as I listen mostly to hardstyle these days that combine both a "punch" (midbass focused) and "tail" part which is more subbass focused to get maximum impact so if either of them is stronger it won't sound that nice.

I've only demoed HD25-II but I was impressed with it's midbass quality and impact. In fact it's one of the best midbass quality I've found, it just provides you that thump you feel, it's not that much audible quantity but for what it packs, it punches with an impressively impact to it (drums especially) without affecting the midrange. I only wish it had a bit more subbass though as I'd need balanced midbass vs subbass presence. Otherwise it sounded fairly good to me if you disregard the too small soundstage for my liking. I'm very satisfied with Q40 still but I'm always on the look-out for headphones with even better quality with a "^--" signature (boosted bass, balanced mids & highs).

Jan 26, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #84 of 1,133
  I found the HD7 and 8 isolated extremely well at the Las Vegas Convention Center considering the ambient noisefloor!
Compared to my HD 25-1 IIs - I'll have to wait to get them for formal impressions. But initial: VERY good. Up there w/ my Momentums - which I think isolate very well!
That's what struck me about both HD7 and 8! But especially the HD7 - how it was like my trusty and globally-proven HD 25-1 IIs (man I traveled all over the world w/ those cans when I was DJing) but with more of everything! More gestalt in the extreme low-end, midrange clarity that surpassed my expectations, and highs that were far more extended than many DJ cans (that only nail the bass). I'm going to buy my review sample of the HD7 to replace my HD 25-1 IIs for DJing afterparties!!

this sounds cool. I have a couple of headphones here that do just right for me in sound but the only problem is that they do not provide the trapping qualities I need for recording and in public they will bother others. If you can report the sound leakage qualities of these then they may have a bump up on my short list. 

I need:
my ears to fit inside
decent impact and attack
I already know sennheiser does the mids right so thats a given... I have yet to hear recessed mids from a senn
Isolation from noise outside and from noise leaking

Jan 27, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #85 of 1,133
This review makes the HD7 and HD8 sound the same in terms of sound signature:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/headphone-reviews/sennheiser-hd8-dj-review/

I read they have the same driver. I have a feeling the HD8 is in my near future. I thought I was done buying headphones, and here's Sennheiser releasing what looks to be the perfect closed option for me (affordably, durable looking, Sennheiser sound). Goodbye DT770! :)

Jan 27, 2014 at 8:03 AM Post #86 of 1,133
This review makes the HD7 and HD8 sound the same in terms of sound signature:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/headphone-reviews/sennheiser-hd8-dj-review/

I read they have the same driver. I have a feeling the HD8 is in my near future. I thought I was done buying headphones, and here's Sennheiser releasing what looks to be the perfect closed option for me (affordably, durable looking, Sennheiser sound). Goodbye DT770! :)

They might have the same driver, but maybe the metal enclosure might affect the sound?

Jan 27, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #88 of 1,133
I have a feeling the HD7 has slightly less sparkly / less V-shaped response if the feedback by mikemercer is accurate with his comment about more lower-mid presence in HD7 which would fit my tastes well. Still waiting for some confirmation frequency response-wise but I have a gut feeling I will end up with HD7 as my personal fav among these as I expect it to be more well balanced in mids & highs with similar bass as HD8 and the HD8 being slightly more energetic with a slight boosted highs range. Very excited to hear more about these, maybe finally I will find an upgrade which I'd like and won't break my bank (Ultrasone Signature DJ, Dido Perfect Sound).

I still think the voting is silly, that so many expect HD8 to be "best" just cuz it's the top-of-the-line. :p In this hobby it's not always so the top-end model which fit your tastes best. I voted HD7 personally for the reason I'm guessing it will be more to my liking sonical wise.

Jan 27, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #90 of 1,133
Everybody is talking bout the 7 & 8...What? No love for the 6? 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back