Sennheiser HD 6,7 & 8 DJ thread. Opinions, reviews, feedback, pics, discussions, etc.
Sep 7, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #901 of 1,133
Does any1 know if it's only HD8 that squeaks? I guess it's because of the metallic construction, I think I've read that a HD7 & HD8 user only had his HD8 squeak.

Sep 7, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #902 of 1,133
I've also got HD7 and it squeaks a bit.  Not as much as my HD8.

Sep 7, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #903 of 1,133
My HD7 squeaks too but it doesn't bother me when I'm wearing them.

Sep 30, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #904 of 1,133
Hey I've been looking to get a pair of expensive headphones to listen to Edm with. These look really good, (HD8) but for the price is the SQ worth it? Thanks! I really love bass and mids, and don't like a lot of treble.

Sep 30, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #905 of 1,133
Hey I've been looking to get a pair of expensive headphones to listen to Edm with. These look really good, (HD8) but for the price is the SQ worth it? Thanks! I really love bass and mids, and don't like a lot of treble.

They are not worth the price, you are paying more for features. But they do sound nice and are pretty bassy. I got my HD7's for $229 so it was quite the steal. There are slight differences between the HD7's & 8's.

Sep 30, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #907 of 1,133
Which headphones for 400ish have great SQ and are bassy? I don't need many accessories but an included case would be OK.

I'm not a big fan of bass heavy headphones but the HD8 DJ's are still a great headphone for electronic, but not too much else.

Off the top of my mind you can do your research on:
B&W P7

and check out this thread.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/716711/the-best-bass-headphones-are-the-extreme-bass-club

Sep 30, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #909 of 1,133
Sep 30, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #910 of 1,133
I could afford those, but then I wouldn't be able to get a dac. But until I can afford one, would this be sufficient? http://www.siig.com/it-products/multimedia/sound/usb/usb-soundwave-7-1-pro.html

Oct 1, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #911 of 1,133
What about all around performers? I really like closed, no opens please :3
I could afford those, but then I wouldn't be able to get a dac. But until I can afford one, would this be sufficient? http://www.siig.com/it-products/multimedia/sound/usb/usb-soundwave-7-1-pro.html

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed

I would say try the NAD Viso HP50's

Oct 2, 2014 at 7:39 AM Post #913 of 1,133
Oct 4, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #914 of 1,133
Hey all.

I currently have the vmoda m100s and just got th hd8s. I think the sennheiser are better overall for a few reasons. Some are significant to me and some are less so.

As far as fit/comfort/portability go I've noticed the following:
-The sennheiser clamps much more than the vmoda. It actually surprised me and I had to figure out how to adjust the headband so I didn't have all the pressure under ear/on my jaw. Once I did that though I can wear them for a few hours (I haven't tried longer) without discomfort. The vmoda for clamping pressure is much lighter and more comfy overall. But not significantly enough for me to care.
-the vmoda headphone pads like to be together when they're not on your head. This is their design and also partially why they fold up so small. The downside of this for me is that when I have them around my neck they come together under my chin and I begin to ever so slowly asphyxiate as my Adams apple compresses. The sennheiser stays apart much more when at rest so I don't have that problem.
-The vmoda is way more portable.
-The ear cup clearance on the sennheiser was better for me as the vmoda with the stock pads resulted in my ear touching the driver case. That wasn't super comfy but the XL pads helped a lot. I still found the fit was finicky though.

Sound
I would at the sound on the sennheiser is preferable to me over the vmoda because:

- the bass is tighter and more separated (ie I can hear more independent bassy instruments. The vmoda kinda blurs them together when it gets complex.
-the sennheiser feels a bit more natural to me. Still curved, but less artificial. I don't know if that makes sense but I tried :).
-the overall clarity of the sennheiser is better. I really noticed this remixing on my behringer. The vmoda gets messy on remixing. I would lose baselines and notice speed mismatches much later than I did with the sennheiser.

Now it's not a bloodbath, because:
-I find the treble boost on the vmoda pleasant.
-I find the vmoda makes poor quality tracks sound a bit more polished.
-the sennheiser cables are ridiculously long.
- the vmodas are easier to drive

I did however run the sennheiser on my iPhone 5s and my iMac and I have had no problems with it. The key difference to me is you get ok sound up to a certain volume and then around 70 pct it gets great. With the lower impedance vmoda the curve is more just volume and less quality differential.

Lastly. The sound isolation is way way way way better on the sennheiser. I can have the volume at 70-80 pct on my iPhone, and people can hear it clearly if it's off my head. As soon as its on, it's silent. It's very good. The external noise isolation is very very good as well. Hope this helps!

Carl

Oct 10, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #915 of 1,133
I just had my third listen to the 8 tonight, A-B-C-ing with the Shure 1540 and Fostex TH600, as I continue my search for a closed, isolating, non-leaking HP.  I have to say I do not understand all the mediocre and negative reviews of these Senns.  (Innerfidelity didn`t even think them worthy of a review).  SQ-wise I rate them on par with the 1540, ie, excellent, with maybe a little narrower soundstage, but with far far better isolation. (I`ll admit the 1540 can be manipulated through bending to fit better, potentially)  The TH600 don`t seem to isolate at all, just like the old Denons, and are therefore useless for me.  Both the DJ8 and 1540 are bassy, and approach my line of overly bassy, but don`t quite reach it for me, which makes both of them acceptable.  Both sound excellent, with the DJ8 having so many more perks, like foldability, at 75% the price of the Shures.  

I haven`t ruled out the Shures, but the DJ is at the top of my closed HP list.  Next challenger is the SONY Z7. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back