Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Nov 30, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #721 of 7,535
Quote:
I agree that they do sound awesome with Black Sabbath, and pretty good with Iron Maiden. It's stuff more like Tool, Opeth, and other random things that I feel are lacking with quick changes in dynamic. The vocals sound nice, but not always forward enough.

The more I listen the more I learn it can be hard to generalize that a certain can sounds great with a certain genre, because what sounds good often varies by recording. I'm not looking for a new pair of headphones soon, but I'm not sure if a Grado or closed can would better compliment the 598s for my tastes. I sort of want to try everything!

The Grados aren't all that expensive, and you can probably find them for even less.  I have my eyes set on a pair in Atlanta for 40 dollars.  Both headphones are great buys for the money.  I find the Grados to play rather well with DnB as well. 

Dec 1, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #722 of 7,535

Quote:
The Grados aren't all that expensive, and you can probably find them for even less.  I have my eyes set on a pair in Atlanta for 40 dollars.  Both headphones are great buys for the money.  I find the Grados to play rather well with DnB as well. 

Thanks, I'll look into the 60s or 80s if I can find them cheap.

Dec 3, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #723 of 7,535
Greetings HD 598 owners,

I recently bought a pair myself. I plan on recabling the headphones as I have read posts regarding an improvement in sound quality by doing so. However, I have never looked into recabling a headphone and the variety of the different cables. My question is, which cables (ie. brand) should I go with when I recable my HD598's? 

Thanks in advance, 

Saturn

Dec 3, 2011 at 8:00 AM Post #724 of 7,535
Why don't you like the stock cable?

Quote:
Greetings HD 598 owners,

I recently bought a pair myself. I plan on recabling the headphones as I have read posts regarding an improvement in sound quality by doing so. However, I have never looked into recabling a headphone and the variety of the different cables. My question is, which cables (ie. brand) should I go with when I recable my HD598's? 

Thanks in advance, 

Saturn

Dec 3, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #727 of 7,535
It's not that I do not like them, it's just that I feel like with different, better quality cables (ie. Mogami), the HD 598's can achieve better sound quality. And by "better," I mean a better bass response and more clarity. I was reading posts in this thread regarding the recabling of HD 598's and how much of an improvement the sound quality would be over the regular, stock cables.

Simply, I would like to get the best out of these headphones.

Dec 3, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #729 of 7,535

Quote:
It's not that I do not like them, it's just that I feel like with different, better quality cables (ie. Mogami), the HD 598's can achieve better sound quality. And by "better," I mean a better bass response and more clarity. I was reading posts in this thread regarding the recabling of HD 598's and how much of an improvement the sound quality would be over the regular, stock cables.

I took the risk and upgraded mine with Mogami W2893. Best upgrade I ever did and it cost me almost nothing. The thing to point out is that it mostly retains the stock signature, but makes it even better. You won't get more bass, just better bass. Biggest difference is in how much clearer the sound is. A definitely improvement in detail for sure. I wish more HD-598 fans could hear it recabled. It's an even bigger difference than upgrading a K702 or HD-650's cable. No joke. IMO CHEAP cable upgrades offer only maybe a 3-5% improvement, if that.

Once I recabled my HD-598 it pushed it up past my old K501 and K601 when it came to my favorites. I also sold my HD-650 and when my HD-600 arrived I returned it without trying it for a third time.

You do need to rip out the internal wires and it's NOT suggested since you may not like the resulting sound.

So far I've tried Belden 1192A, HD-650 cable and Canare on the HD-598. The Belden 1192A is just weird and fatiguing on the HD-598. The Double Helix wire makes the HD-598 unbearably harsh and fatiguing. The ALO silver plated copper might be nice, but I don't know. I love it with the Q701, but the benefits are kind of chopped in half due to the stupid internal wires still in place.

The wrong copper cable on the HD-598 can ruin it's sound. Wish I could say this is not true. Perhaps it's just due to the change in thickness between wires.

The Belden 1192A and DHC seemed to offer the most detail. Belden 1192A is nice wire for sure, but it's too thick for the HD598 and a pain to solder in place.

Mogami is good and cheap and sound goods.

Dec 4, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #730 of 7,535

Quote:
On the subject of re-cables, does anybody know where to buy good quality wiring in the UK? 
Also can anybody recommend a closed back alternative to the 598s? 

Nothing that I can think of comes to mind. There's the Koss Pro DJ 100. It has similar engaging mids, but not as warm sounding. It does have more bass and more treble. Defintely more forward upper mids.
It's mids sound closer to the SR-225i I think.

If there is an actual HD-598 closed clone of the HD-598, I'd sure like to hear it!

Dec 4, 2011 at 4:48 AM Post #731 of 7,535
Quote:

Have you gotten a good amp, and DAC?  Have you re-ripped all your files into a higher bitrates?  These headphones respond rather well to a better source, and despite not NEEDING an amp, they do sound better with an amp.  Remember that re-cabling them will void your warranty, and that alone is not worth the upgrade for me.  I also don't trust my ears enough. 

Edit: Page 50! Sweet. 

Dec 4, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #732 of 7,535
I just noticed the same problem with the right ear... :/ Ill send it in when i have time.

I have a question about getting a replacement cable... id just like something shorter, for travel. Anyone have any good suggestions?

Dec 4, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #733 of 7,535

I mostly listen to music on my Iphone4 and I plan on getting the 598s for xmas, and i have a few questions.

First of all, I am getting these to listen to one band and that is phish.  They are a live band so all their recordings are live shows.  There sound is a jazz/rock/funk/jam conglomerate  with a lot of guitar, piano, and bass solos and there are not many lyrics so vocals are not too important.  There are also a lot of breakdowns which are heavy in instrument interplay and improvisation.  I will link some examples.

Question A: Are open-ear headphones good for soundboard recordings of live concerts?  Or should i bee looking for closed-ear?  I am not worried about sound linkage because these obviously will be for home.

Question B: I primarily use an iphone4 to listen to phish, do i need to use DAC? If DAC is not needed should i get an AMP? Or would it be best just to get a combo like the fiio E7 or E10?

I am sure i will think of more questions.

Thank in advance for the help, this is my first thread here.  I have a pair of those $100 in-ear bose head phones but i am looking for something for at home when i listen to some serious phish.  

here are some jams, how would these sound with a 598+E7?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_LbiktXSJM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=3fMacqBpW5w#t=338s

Dec 4, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #734 of 7,535

Quote:
I've owned the m50s for ~1 year and recently bought the HD 598s. I've had them for about 2 weeks or so with at least 40+ hours of burn in.

In most respects I like the Senns more than the Audio Technicas, but I can't help but feel that the 598s are less engaging. It feels like drums and guitars in particular are slow, whereas the m50s make everything feel right on time. Also the dynamics in general are less drastic to me.

I realize "engaging" is highly subjective, but does anyone else feel this way about the 598s in comparison to another pair of headphones? Perhaps it's because the m50s have a more in-your-face soundstage while the 598s put you a few rows back. Any thoughts?

In a sense I know what you mean.  I think the discrepancy you describe is the closed versus open nature of the phones.  The signature of the M50 really gives you a nice intimate right there sort of immersion.  Romantic and engaging in an emotional sense hitting just the right wow aspects in bass and treble when it's done right.  The 598 is more technical and presents music very differently.  It's also engaging but more in a sense about what the headphone is showing you rather than just letting you get lost, so it's more cerebral in a sense.  It's like comparing a symphony concert at the Met to a smoky Jazz club experience.  They both have a place and can be nice compliments IMO.

Dec 5, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #735 of 7,535

Quote:
Any examples of metal songs that's got good bass? 

Are you serious?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back