Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Nov 16, 2011 at 3:09 AM Post #646 of 7,535
Keep in mind that the 598 fluctuates in price quite a bit.  I bought mine for about 240 dollars, but 3 months later the price had dropped to about ~180 dollars.  Keep checking back, and you're likely to find an excellent deal. 

Nov 19, 2011 at 9:33 AM Post #649 of 7,535
Ear pads are removable and washable, what do you mean by moisture proof? It will get wet though I would not use my hp's in a humid environment.

Nov 19, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #650 of 7,535
The headrest cushion cover is some sort of vinyl which I don't like.  That reduces breathability, same for the LCD3 where I preferred the foam padding.

Nov 19, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #653 of 7,535
Thinking of getting 598s because they cost only $175 at amazon right now, I'm unsure what to get in terms of soundcard/dac. I don't have very much money and I found an old audigy card (think it's a audigy2 zs or something like that) in a pc someone threw in the trash at my aparment complex, not sure if it works but i'm guessing it probably does. I don't plan on buying an amp because at 50 ohms it doesn't seem necessary.

Current headphones: jvc rx700s
I listen to a variety of music have a couple flacs and spotify.
I want to spend less than 90 on soundcard/dac and would prefer used.

tl;dr: recommend a good dac/soundcard for the 598s that's cheap

Nov 20, 2011 at 9:24 AM Post #658 of 7,535
The only problem here is that the analogue sections may not the best in a DAC unit.

Quote:
Does anyone know of a cheap DAC/AMP suitable for these cans that has optical (toslink) in and also analogue in (bypassing the DAC obviously)? Not interested in USB.

Nov 21, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #659 of 7,535
Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forums and I've been reading around for the past 2 weeks for some new headphones. I currently have the razer carcharias headphones which are gaming headphones and dont sound that great with music. All my music is FLAC though. Anyways I've come to the conclusion that I would like to purchase the HD 598 for one because I just love the looks of it, and I am seeing some great reviews. I currently have an Asus xonar dg soundcard, so if anyone has used their 598 with this sound card please let me know if it sounded any good. Also I'm looking at some sub ~$200 dac/amps. So far ones that I've seen that seem to be good are the musiland monitor 02 us and the musiland monitor 03 us. I am also thinking about the fiio e9 and e7 combo. If anyone has a musiland monitor 02 or 03 please let me know if they are any good, or how they are compared to the fiio e9 and e7. I was actually going to purchase the HD 598 from amazon tommorow. But I looked today and they upped the price $63 from $173.33 to $236.99. So now I have to see If I can find it anywhere else cheaper or buy a refurbished one for $161 from a seller on amazon. Also have the 598s with the cracks been phased out by now? I'm afraid if I buy that refurb one it will be one of the older ones that crack. Thanks!

Nov 21, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #660 of 7,535
I'm using my 598s with the Xonar DG, and they sound great. Don't turn the amp all the way up, though, because it really makes everything sound harsh. Keep it at the medium "Gaming" setting.

The next logical step-up for gamers are the Xonar ST and Essense STX, but I haven't tried either with the 598.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back