Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Oct 27, 2011 at 8:30 AM Post #601 of 7,535

Quote:
Is that a good thing?

I don't think it's a bad thing. Although it does have a large stage it is not quite like the K701 where the stage is too large. Although the K501 does require a really powerful amp to unleash it. I would say it is the hardest to drive of all my headphones.

Oct 27, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #602 of 7,535

Quote:
The 501 stage is larger in width and height, but at what cost?  It doesn't mesh at all with all genres and its just not " as good " or " made as much sense " to my ears when I had it and its big brother the K701 a few months ago.  

In this case, it really isn't the size that counts, its how it is used :D  And I think the HD 598 is just more enjoyable.

Definitely agree on the bold part, but K501 is still a keeper.

K501's soundstage is larger than that of the K702, but at the same time for me it feels more accurate. The size does vary between songs. For example, with female vocals that are supposed to sound very up-front, they don't magically seem to sound like their recorded in an airplane hangar. The mids on the K501 seem less distant sounding than those of the K702 I had. Strange. It's not that the K501 has really forward mids. It's a very balanced sounding headphone. I have the V.1 which is supposedly bass light.

K501 is nice, but I don't know if I'd ever pay more than $200 for one. It's the kind of headphone that you should just listen to and not try to over-analyze it. I can see why some people prefer the K601 and K702, but it all comes down to preferences.

Oct 28, 2011 at 4:09 AM Post #603 of 7,535
My first post here on Head-fi. I’m waiting for a pair of HD598 and a Xonar STX to arrive. After a lot of reading, this seems like a good starting point for a new and expensive hobby.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 28, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #606 of 7,535

Quote:
It is.

Anyway, what would be the next step? by improving the overall amounts of detail.

For me the biggest increase in detail was a recable with Mogami and then using a DAC connected to my PC.
I really do think these need a decent amp. Even an E6 or E11 would help.

Oct 28, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #609 of 7,535

Quote:
I swear that the price on these just keep going up. Are Sennheiser's factories in Thailand? 

I bet you can still call J&R and get them for $175. For awhile I noticed that Amazon didn't have any listed as even being in stock. Very strange.
Maybe they're extremely popular these days. Who knows..

Oct 28, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #611 of 7,535
It seems to me like they shot up in price right around the time the Western digital hard drives did. I'm wondering if it could be due to the floods in Thailand as well. I may have to try and call J&R.

Quote:
I bet you can still call J&R and get them for $175. For awhile I noticed that Amazon didn't have any listed as even being in stock. Very strange.
Maybe they're extremely popular these days. Who knows..

Oct 28, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #612 of 7,535

Quote:
It seems to me like they shot up in price right around the time the Western digital hard drives did. I'm wondering if it could be due to the floods in Thailand as well. I may have to try and call J&R.

As I posted earlier in this thread, $144 refurb plus shipping from Dakmart.  No docs and no box but unit is perfect.

Oct 30, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #614 of 7,535

Quote:
Back to ~250 on amazon now... They tend to fluctuate quite a bit.  Sennheiser has a factory in China, Germany, and maybe the US. 

That's crazy. I can't imagine anyone paying that much for them. IMO, they are a terrific headphone under $200, but at $250 they are fighting above their weight class.

Oct 30, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #615 of 7,535
*drumming and flute sounds in the distance growing closer playing a Patriotic song

At full blown retail price of roughly $250?  Hmm, there are only a few sets that can best it in sound quality, none can match its overall bang for the buck factor.  At $250 new you can get the Dre Beats, a Grado 225i, possibly a K701 on sale, a Shure 940 and a Beyer DT series of your choosing, AD900 and an Ultrasone Pro 750

None of them are as well rounded or as user friendly as the HD 598.  Some might have superior qualities here or there, none of them are the full package except ye' ol' HD 598.  

*About Faces and plays same Patriotic song as I fade into the woods

Users who are viewing this thread

Back