Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Oct 25, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #2,913 of 7,535
Anyone want to buy an hd598 in excellent condition? The original order was placed

February 20, 2012

and I haven't used them for the past ~6 months because I didn't want to travel with them.

I need another set of cans that are cheaper :frowning2:

Do you guys know if the mdrv6 or the k240 is better sounding? Which is more comfortable. I know neither are going to be as comfortable as the hd598.

Huh?

Didnt you own K240's a couple years ago and ditch them in favor of the 598?

Oct 25, 2013 at 5:50 AM Post #2,914 of 7,535
Interesting..

I would also like to read about valid comparison of HD5xx series vs AKG K14X/K24X

AKG's are cheaper, but I see them compared very often. What I know myself is that the Sennheisers have weaker bass.

Oct 25, 2013 at 6:02 AM Post #2,915 of 7,535
Recieved my 598s yesterday.
smily_headphones1.gif
I don't have much to compare with, but I really like them. I like the audio and they are very comfortable.

Oct 25, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #2,916 of 7,535
Interesting..

I would also like to read about valid comparison of HD5xx series vs AKG K14X/K24X

AKG's are cheaper, but I see them compared very often. What I know myself is that the Sennheisers have weaker bass.

The senns may go a little deeper and is more controlled in the bass department vs the k141 and k240. the akgs have a little more midbass.

Oct 25, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #2,917 of 7,535
Anyone want to buy an hd598 in excellent condition? The original order was placed

February 20, 2012

and I haven't used them for the past ~6 months because I didn't want to travel with them.

I need another set of cans that are cheaper :frowning2:

Do you guys know if the mdrv6 or the k240 is better sounding? Which is more comfortable. I know neither are going to be as comfortable as the hd598.

Is the mdrv6 and the mdrv7506 the same exact thing, cause the mdrv7506 is considerably cheaper at this point in time.

Any other suggestions?

How much you selling them for?

Oct 26, 2013 at 5:58 AM Post #2,919 of 7,535
  I don't really use them much anymore to be honest.. I find myself using my apple in ear buds. I cant really notice that much of a difference. Maybe I'm just being silly? Are the hd598s really better than the k240s or the mdrv6s?

Most of the music I listen to is rock, but it's rock with background noises and all these layers of instruments coming out of nowhere (kind of like the dark side of the moon)

I was thinking somewhere around $170 if I can make a decision on a new set of cans.

I'll post some pictures of everything.

I read you wrote iBuds first, and I was a bit horrified. But yeah iInEars are, then ok. 

Don't you find the soundstage or instrument separation any better in K240?

Oct 26, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #2,920 of 7,535
Hey gang, just thought I would chime in here with some continued listening impressions of the 598.

I don't really know what to add here except that I am VERY impressed with these. When I finally stopped trying to push them in directions they can't really go (dubsteb, rap, bass heavy music) and started listening to real "organic" (not digital/synthetic sounds) I think they really started to shine. I must confess here, and say that I have really taken a liking to these cans.

I have been listening to some jazz (Norah Jones, Diana Krall, etc), acoustic rock (Jack Johnson, AIC Mtv unplugged, Bruno Marz, etc), pop/rock music (Amy Winehouse, Nirvana,  Beck, etc) and have found that these 'HPs excel when not being asked to reach super deep. The mids and highs sound very good to me, and sibilance has never been a real issue with them. I do not think that classical music is their strong suit though. As I stated in my full write up, these can sound a bit congested at times, and therefore classical music sounds a little like it's being choked a bit. Perhaps not as delineated and airy as it should be. 

Having said that, I can't complain one bit for the price I paid. $158.99 shipped to my door from Best Buy price match of Fry's advertised deal. Not too shabby IMO.

If you are thinking of these and have musical taste that doesn't favor electronic music, or large orchestras, you should be well served by them. I know I am. These have easily surpassed my other 'phones as my "go to" pair. The combination of good sq, lengthy cable, and the best comfort I have ever experienced make these a winner! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 26, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #2,923 of 7,535
If you are thinking of these and have musical taste that doesn't favor electronic music, or large orchestras, you should be well served by them. I know I am. These have easily surpassed my other 'phones as my "go to" pair. The combination of good sq, lengthy cable, and the best comfort I have ever experienced make these a winner! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Not all electronic listeners are bass heads though (me), i'm guessing that's why you said they're not good for electronic? Granted though, some electronic music NEEDS that bass punch to be enjoyed or it just sounds boring IMO, which in this case, the 598's aren't very good at.

Oct 26, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #2,925 of 7,535

Not all electronic listeners are bass heads though (me), i'm guessing that's why you said they're not good for electronic? Granted though, some electronic music NEEDS that bass punch to be enjoyed or it just sounds boring IMO, which in this case, the 598's aren't very good at.

Yes, that is 100% exactly what I was saying.

IMO, bass heavy music sounds boring/lifeless. However, feed these 'phones "organic" music, they impress to be sure. At least to my ears, they sound impressive. Save the issue with "congestion" on some material and lack of bass extension/impact. Although, if these headphones had all of that to go along with the good SQ, then Sennheiser might have trouble selling anything up their line.
tongue.gif

I am not really a "headphone guy" and have always considered headphone listening an afterthought to my full size system. I suppose I didn't quite understand why a lot of people on here have so many different pairs of 'phones.

I am now beginning to understand why you would have at least a handful of 'phones in your stable. Especially if you aren't into full sized audio gear. A couple decent portables, a couple decent "home listening" headphones, and perhaps a few odds and ends here and there, so I can see how a collection can grow rather quickly, especially if having the funds isn't an issue.

Unfortunately for me, money is an issue, so I have to pick my gear very carefully, and usually have to save for a while to make a new purchase. Right now, I am trying to save up the money to buy an Emotiva DC-1 DAC while they have their final sale going on. I am just hoping I can get the money before the sale comes to an end.

If I can do it, I will have a good DAC for my computer (no more RealTek HD audio card from my laptop) and it has a built in HP amp as well. While I am sure it's not the last word in headphone amps, I am also pretty certain that it will blow the doors off of everything I have now. Especially considering that all my 'phones are easy to drive.

After that, my plan is to start saving for the HD-650. Once I get the 650s, I plan to stop buying headphones. Although, I do like the idea of getting some "bass head" phones for those times when I don't care about accuracy, and just want to rock out.
L3000.gif
Not sure what would be a good way to go to be honest, as most everyone here wants to be an "audiophile" vs letting their inner teenager out to play. I think it's almost considered blasphemy to admit you like bass heavy 'phones on here. Something I find rather odd...
confused_face%281%29.gif

I also have to admit that I have been drooling over the AKG Q701. When I listened to them VERY briefly, I thought they were second only to the HD-650 from the ones at my local headphone store. Unfortunately, they have decided to discontinue carrying them as they were not good sellers. I was surprised to hear that TBH. I liked them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back