Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Oct 21, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #2,866 of 7,535
You won't get dramatically better performance from the 598 out of an iphone vs out of an amp, but it can benefit from it as I said a few posts before. Even just a slight improvement can sometimes mean the difference between rockin' out on a track and simply letting the track finish. It's those magic moments when you go - "da*n! That was awesome!"

Can you have those moments with the 598 on just an iPhone? Absolutely. But others need just that tad bit more to push the music quality over the edge that allows you to have those 'moments'. When that happens, spending a bit more on an amp - even for a 598 where the improvement is not monumental - is worth it for some people me being one of them.

Besides, a FiiO E17 is not that expensive. You can find one for around a hundy in the for sale section. Well worth it for the price. 

Oct 21, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #2,867 of 7,535
For the price of the HD598 plus E17, you can buy the HD600.

And personally, I would rather own the HD600 without an amp than the HD598 with an amp.

In my opinion, the primary appeal of the HD598 is the fact that it sounds so good without an amp.

That's my $0.02. :D

Oct 21, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #2,868 of 7,535
^^^ For a original price of the HD 598.... but damn, the 598's are now $200 (150 in certain places) and the 558's are $130? What is sennheiser pulling? That's got to be one of the best deals as of recent. The HD 650's are what... 9 years old? 600's are even older, they obviously hold their value more the then 3 year old 5x8 lineup... lol

I guess it's the same as cars, the more expensive ones hold their value.

Oct 21, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #2,870 of 7,535
Oh, my bad, i thought you said the 650's, i didn't read that right... some people actually prefer the 600's to the 650's... i've never tried neither but i'd like to (..who wouldn't).

Anyways, do the pads on these wear out/get flat? I was talking to streetdragon the other day and he said his were all wore out and he got replacements. I've had the 558's for about 8 months now and i can't really see any changes in the ear pads, just as comfortable as day.. 10 (first 10 days i didn't find them all that comfortable
biggrin.gif
)

Oct 21, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #2,872 of 7,535
For the price of the HD598 plus E17, you can buy the HD600.

And personally, I would rather own the HD600 without an amp than the HD598 with an amp.

In my opinion, the primary appeal of the HD598 is the fact that it sounds so good without an amp.

That's my $0.02. :D

Agree that if you can find a better headphone for the same price, go for it. But I think unless you find a really sweet deal on the 600, they still retail for 400 or so.

But then, with the 600, you will surely be tempted to get better amplification. Lol!

Sometimes this hobby...

Oct 21, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #2,874 of 7,535

I know right, sometimes i wish i never discovered this forum. I can only blame myself though. People look at me like i have a strange and abnormal obcession with headphones, probably because i do!
darthsmile.gif

I keep wanting to read what you write.. but my eyes are magically deliciously pulled to the northwest... it's unexplainable. 
confused.gif

Oct 21, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #2,875 of 7,535
I much prefer the 600 to the 650.

I rarely listen to my 558's so I can't say how long the pads will last. They seem firmer than the 600 pads, which are known to flatten over time, so I think they should hold up very well.

My HD558 earpads have gone really flat after a year of use. (and maybe a little too much washing) The sound changed pretty dramatically vs new pads, becoming much darker and boomier. Possibly more lush and laidback too, though probably a little too much.

Also the bravo ocean amp i currently use helps to firm up the bass and give it more solidness.

Oct 21, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #2,876 of 7,535
But I think unless you find a really sweet deal on the 600, they still retail for 400 or so.

They retail for $400, but are readily available "on sale" for $300 - $320. If you pay more, you're overpaying.

But then, with the 600, you will surely be tempted to get better amplification. Lol!

Ain't that the truth!

On the other hand, if you visit head-fi regularly and own/enjoy the 558/598, its only a matter of time before you move up to the 600/650. Its a foregone conclusion...lol

Oct 21, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #2,877 of 7,535
  and maybe a little too much washing

Whoa, i've never washed my earpads yet, is this a thing everyone does and i'm the only one who doesn't? as always i see, as always in the dark! lol

That could be why your earpads wore out pretty fast, i wear these bad boys at least 2 hours on the daily! 

P.S. streetdragon - ​
i thought i liked my MS-1's more the my 558's, but... nope. lol I'm waiting for the earpads to come in though (hd 414's) sorry to go off topic, i'm too lazy to PM atm. 
redface.gif

Oct 22, 2013 at 4:30 AM Post #2,878 of 7,535
I had a friends HD600s for a few months when I first got my HD598s (yes really). I compared them quite a few times so I know that the HD600s  bring out details the the HD598s don't. They also seem to have better timbre and clarity for acoustic instruments - violins etc. I attributed a lot of this to the frequency ripples of the HD598 and tried to eq them out but without 100% success. For all that, the HD600s stayed in their box most of the time. And I am really not that bothered about 'upgrading' now. If you are happy with your HD598s then don't worry about not having the HD600s

Maybe it is because of the out of the head soundstage  of the HD598 which makes me feel more involved. Played fairly loud I feel that I get some of the effect of being at a live concert albeit without the really deep bass. To the best of my recollection the HD598 has similar characteristics to the Micro Seiki electrostatics that I had in the 70s - they are smooth, quite bright but never offensive. The Micro Seikis could get enjoyable music from the cheapest record deck/amp. Similarly the HD598s seem to bring out the music from whatever digital source I use 128k WMA upwards. 

Amplification can sometimes help. My O2 brings some clarity and solidity to the output of my old Acer MP3 player. It obviously depends on the output topology of the device driving the phones.

Oct 22, 2013 at 6:17 AM Post #2,879 of 7,535
Returned my HD598 for the ATH-AD1000X.

The HD598 were good, no amp was needed to get a really great output but wanted to get an upgrade to a higher tier so went with ATH (I might be biased since I really like Japanese products). 

The only thing I missed about my HD598 were how comfy they were, oval shaped works better for me than circular ones.

Oct 22, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #2,880 of 7,535

Whoa, i've never washed my earpads yet, is this a thing everyone does and i'm the only one who doesn't? as always i see, as always in the dark! lol

That could be why your earpads wore out pretty fast, i wear these bad boys at least 2 hours on the daily! 

P.S. streetdragon - ​
i thought i liked my MS-1's more the my 558's, but... nope. lol I'm waiting for the earpads to come in though (hd 414's) sorry to go off topic, i'm too lazy to PM atm. 
redface.gif

I did want to make it soft and break them in faster, but I didn't expect it to get THAT soft lol.
I also wear these head plushies for very long times too, probably also at least 2 hours a day at least for the time being. 

Well the MS1i sounds more fun, but the HD558 sounds more complete and textured I will say. Not to mention it is way more comfy too :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back