Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Apr 12, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #2,311 of 7,535
Quote:
Then next step in my audiophile journey should be those, then.

one thing to note. Modi is prone to interference and magni is prone is hissing. I love using it with my SRH940, but not with more sensitive in-ears and others.

To HD598, it adds little bit of highs and slight mid bass, giving HD598 more life(I think HD598 are very boring).

Apr 12, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #2,312 of 7,535
Quote:

Here is my latest eq for the Graphic Equalizer DSP for Foobar 2k. The small lift above 5k gives a bit of crispness. I also tried the Crossfeed DSP and that seems to give a bit more depth after a while.

I will just give the HD600s back and enjoy the HD598s

There's a cool little ios app called accudio http://accudio.goldenears.net/ that makes profiles like that for a bunch of different headphones. This is though the app may make the 598 sound "flat" but it also sucks all the life out of them.

Apr 12, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #2,313 of 7,535
I just received a open box HD598 looks brand new. First impressions are it's attractive, very light and comfortable these comments have been said before. I remember trying a pair of HD 650 in a San Francisco video and sound store and was not impressed when comparing to my other HP Vsonic GR07 and A900x off my Samsung 3 source they sounded the same. Then I tried the HD 650 with their big AMP and high price CD player, sorry not sure which ones and I was quite impressed. So know I use the MOG 320 KBPS which is a nice improvement. Today on my Samsung 3, I downloaded a Power amp app and used Pandora which was an improvement. Now I'm on MOG with my Macbook  listening to the new HD598 which again is very comfortable and close to the HD 650 but with my limited equipment I can't get equal to or better than the HD 650 with the big Amps. I was trying to download a equalizer app onto the mac book but couldn't get it to work with MOG. I didn't notice MOG or Sportify have equalizers built into their music services. So I'm close to to the HD 650. My question now is to try a Fii0 E11, E07k or E12 to equal or better the HD 650. I'm not one to want to buy 500.00 in amp/dac and CD source to get their. What would some of the more experience Head fi people do change head phones or just try a FII0? 

Apr 13, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #2,315 of 7,535
Quote:
one thing to note. Modi is prone to interference and magni is prone is hissing. I love using it with my SRH940, but not with more sensitive in-ears and others.

To HD598, it adds little bit of highs and slight mid bass, giving HD598 more life(I think HD598 are very boring).

That's strange, the modi+magni shouldn't be adding anything since they measure totally flat.

I still don't know why such transparent amps are always labeled as "bright". It's kind of weird..

To me the HD-598 is the total opposite of boring. It's very smooth sounding, but not boring (IMO)

Apr 13, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #2,316 of 7,535
Quote:
That's strange, the modi+magni shouldn't be adding anything since they measure totally flat.

I still don't know why such transparent amps are always labeled as "bright". It's kind of weird..

To me the HD-598 is the total opposite of boring. It's very smooth sounding, but not boring (IMO)

I think people equate smooth with boring.  This wouldn't be the first time I've heard someone say "boring" with a post following "smooth."  Personally I find them to be very smooth.  Otherwise I wouldn't wear them 3-6 hours a day. 

Apr 13, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #2,317 of 7,535
I have successfully compared the severely modded HD558 with the HD598.
And the results are very interesting... the soundstage of the 558 and the 598 are both accurate, but the 598 is more focused while the former is more spread out, the bass on the 558 is lighter but punchier while the 598 is deeper, more textured but less punchy, vocals are about the same, 598 is overall more refined sounding than the 558.
Overall i feel that they are of similar level, just different in soundstage and tonal presentation.

Apr 13, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #2,318 of 7,535
Quote:

Your comment of the HD 598 being boring is a strong knock. I saw some of your other posts in which you loved the Koss 100 and I tried them at Best Buy but they were uncomfortable so not for me. Smooth and boring are they the same maybe a little. They do miss a little punch if that's what you mean. But when I downloaded the Power amp app on my Samsung 3 the all three of my phones had more punch because I was able to adjust the equalizer more bass and such. So right now I will take the comfort and then try to boost them with a portable amp I'm a newbie I'll know more next week. What would you suggest? 

Apr 13, 2013 at 8:36 AM Post #2,319 of 7,535
Quote:

I see you have the HD 600 and HD650 would you suggest I would like those more then the HD598 with a portable amp like the E11 or E12. I just don't want a stack of Amps and Dac's and CD players I want to stay portable. The HE 400 look good the HE 500 is getting pricey but I would like to feel I have the best without too much expense.

Apr 13, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #2,322 of 7,535
Quote:

That may be because I am comparing it to clip zip, which is less flat than modi+magni.

Quote:

I think people equate smooth with boring.  This wouldn't be the first time I've heard someone say "boring" with a post following "smooth."  Personally I find them to be very smooth.  Otherwise I wouldn't wear them 3-6 hours a day. 

They are indeed smooth. But I prefer more aggressive highs. That's why I said it was boring(imo).

Apr 15, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #2,325 of 7,535
Quote:
I'm wondering how does improve a cable upgrade to the HD598...

I just received the combo/dac Fiio E17 and i found that the sound is much much better than with my inegrated soundcard...i want conitnue to go further in the sound of the HD598:

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/chuya-online/item/70943/

Do you think it's a good idea to buy this cable ?

That would depend. What improvements are you looking for? Highs, clarity, bass... ect.
For highs and clarity: look for silver cables
For bass and warmth: look for copper (this cable is copper).
But I'll be honest. Difference between cables are very minor. I can only tell if I'm testing A/B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back