dnullify

1000+ Head-Fier
EDIT: thread replaced... this can die

Hi all!
Well, i've been a fan of IEM's for a while, and i own:

UE super.fi 5's
Shure e5c
ety e6i

anyway, recently i decided to take the plunge as far as cans are concerned.
After a lot of research, and concerning my budget, I found the Hd 595s. (found some for $150)

I plan to also purchase the penguin caffeine amp to go with it...

I'm still unsure, and i'm finding reading reviews particularly confusing and tedious, so i thought i'd ask for your opinions!

I also looked into AKG, but couldn't couldn't decide on a model...

Thanks in advance!

Jul 6, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #3 of 25
Well before we go any further, what type of music do you listen to? The HD595's don't fair to well with bass heavy stuff.

Jul 6, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #4 of 25
I have had HD595s for years and I still love them. You won't regret it
biggrin.gif

And I find them to do bass decently, they just dont SLAM like DT770s which are like pods shaking your skull.

Jul 6, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #5 of 25
Well, my budget is about $250 or so for headphones and amp...

I like bass, but not tooth jarring base, or overwhelming bass.

I listen to, mainly alternative rock and rock, but i (very occasionally) listen to techno/alternative rock, or bass yeavy rock, however you want to call it.
Ex:
MuteMath
Dave Mathews band
coldplay
Linkin park
silversun pickups
NIN
Deathcab for cutie
MGMT
blue october
Kings of leon
ect...

and i'm looking for mainly use at home, or my summer internship (in a data center, and/or at a desk). and i don't want excessive leakage, which is why i ruled out grados. But i liked the comfort (temperature) of open headphones.

Jul 6, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #6 of 25
I'd say the HD595 is rather bass light compared to other phones in this price range. I mean it has bass, but not a lot of impact or presence. Since you like rock it should be a good choice, but don't expect thumps. The thumps sound like you are saying "duh", but the bass is quick. Also the mids are a little edgie but sound good with guitars.

Jul 6, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #7 of 25
what would you suggest with slightly more base, but not compromising in SQ?
Also, do the grados leak as much as i'm reading?

also the penguin amp has a "bass boost" option, would that improve the bass, say i decide to listen to some loud rock for a little while?

Jul 6, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #8 of 25
The HD595 leaks more than the Grado's, but yeah they do leak a lot. Grado's have more bass and for more suitable for rock. They are however considered bright by many.

Jul 6, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #9 of 25
really the senns leak more???

Well...

And Would that be "bright" in a negative sense? like overwhelming treble? or bright possatively?

I as far as grados go i was thinking 225s

those were the top 2 choices for me, as i don't know much about AKG to go on.

Jul 6, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #10 of 25
I enjoyed my HD595s - they're a great set of cans in the price range.

I think they'll sound smoking w/ the types of music you've listed, particularly the guitar-vocal-oriented material.

I never found them lacking in bass, and I like a good amount of bass, as long as they were decently amped. (At home I used a Little Dot II++ at the time, and away from home, a PA2V2.)

I also had some Beyer DT770 Pros (250), prior to the 595s, and VERY MUCH preferred the 595s, overall.

Far more rich in general tone, nice and airy in comparison, and they brought vocals out in a much more natural-sounding way. I had grown to be frustrated with the DT770s tendency to flatten/muffle vocal tracks (although they were fun for thumpin' and rocking out, at first.)

Jul 6, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #11 of 25
All open headphones leak sound out like crazy.

If you're going to be using headphones in a data center around others, then you will need closed headphones.

If you want open headphones, just use them at home. And then get a cheap pair of portables for when you're around others like in a lab, library, data center, etc.

So, are you wanting open headphones + amp for ~$250 to minimize heat retention and thus better comfort?

Or, do you want full size closed headphones for home and portable use?

If also wanting closed portable headphones, I suggest also reading and posting in the portable headphone forum.

Edit:
Also, what source(s) will you be plugging these headphones into?

Jul 6, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #12 of 25
For portability, i mainly use my IEMs, and i suppose continuing to use them in the (very) loud data center isn't too much of a biggy, i don't spend much time in there at all.

I mainly want full sized open/closed headphones for comfortable long-usage. it's generally quiet at home/work, so i'm not all that concerned about hearing outside noise

i chose open headphones, because general SQ is supposed to be better, as well as it doesn't get too hot.

I want a pair for comfort, and heat can be an issue for me. I don't have that much experience with cans, so i don't know what exactly determines a hot-with-usage set...

And THANKS for all the replies guys! i really appreciate them

Jul 6, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #13 of 25
Yes, they're open cans, they have no closed-cup, but a mesh-type enclosure.

This helps with SQ, greatly, but they're definitely not isolating HPs, at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnullify /img/forum/go_quote.gif
really the senns leak more??? ...

Jul 6, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #15 of 25
so, when listening to music at a decent volume (65-70%), would you be able to hear the outside greatly, and vice versa? or is it a one way thing, where they can hear your music a lot, but you can only hear them slightly?

Quote:

Closed headphones retain more heat than open headphones because air is more trapped inside the cups than with open headphones.

Do you "need" closed headphones to help prevent sound from leaking out and bothering others near by, or is that not a concern?

I don't really need closed, mainly because most of the guys around me have open Phones too.
I think my aim is primarily comfort, then high HQ with a well balanced bass. i certainly don't want it to be severely lacking in base, but i definitely don't want to feel every single hit on the bass drum, or the bass riff in my scull... if that's an informative way to say it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back