Sennheiser HD 558 vs 598 which is the best overall?
Jul 20, 2012 at 2:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

maximilians

New Head-Fier
Hei im newbie here, i had my first cans was sennheiser HD 428, its not bad at all, but just like all music lover, my standard begin to rise.. I felt my 428 became dissapointing. If i want to buy beetwen 558 or 598, which one do you think is the best? I like accoustic, etc. most mainstream music. Maybe someonecan share and comparethat 2 cans?:D

Jul 20, 2012 at 3:47 AM Post #5 of 27
They share the same drivers.  The 598 refines the 558 and is better in many ways (from comfort to sound stage to refining and extending the sound) and worse in none--except for price.  The cumulative effect of these little improvements is quite impressive. 

That's not to knock the 558.  At today's MAP pricing they may well be the better value.

Jul 20, 2012 at 6:39 AM Post #7 of 27
Quote:
Hei in your opinion, are there other brand that better from sennheiser 598 in my price range? So it mean didnt expensiver than 598

I don't know where you live, so the only price with which I am familiar are those in the U.S.

What do you mean by "mainstream" music?

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?

Jul 20, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #8 of 27
I don't know where you live, so the only price with which I am familiar are those in the U.S.

What do you mean by "mainstream" music?

What equipment will be powering these cans?  Will you be using an amp?

What is the format of your music and other sounds you will putting into these cans?

Describe the sound signature that you are seeking?
yea i live in southeast asia, exactly at Indonesia. In my country the price is expensiver than in US. Its becausd the high and many tax included.. And some corruption by government employee i thougt.. Mainstream just like pop, my faveone is Viva La Vida by coldplay. Because it have unique characteristic. So i use this song to compete my headphone. I usually use my iPad 2 to play it, and sometimes i use my portable amp, Fiio E6. I want my next Hp hv wide soundstaging, and great detail.. So any sugestion? Is my HP, player, amp good enough?

Jul 20, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #11 of 27
You will not be disappointed in the 598s.  You like Coldplay (so indie rock kind of) They're good with vocals but these headphones sound good with most genres (obviously aren't super bass cannons but hip hop still sounds good through them)  
They should sound good un-amped with your iPad since they are very easy to drive, and even better with your fiio.  People also say they have a great soundstage.  These headphones don't have the clearest detail though, read some reviews they really are great head phones.

Jul 20, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:
Soo, gigafi, if u have to buy one of both them, which one will u take? And if u look from my fave genre, which one is better? Btw the beetwen HD 428 and HD 558 which one is bassier?

If you have the money, go for the 598, but if not, the 558 is perfectly fine. I had the 558 first but in the back of my head I knew it wasn't the "best" so I eventually upgraded just because it's the top one :)

Jul 20, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #13 of 27
If you have the money, go for the 598, but if not, the 558 is perfectly fine. I had the 558 first but in the back of my head I knew it wasn't the "best" so I eventually upgraded just because it's the top one :)
Whoaaa thankyou so much bro, u make my decision become stronger. I like 598, but sometimes i fell just like is this worth enough? Because someone say that 558 and 598 are simmilar.. Hehe.. Btw can i compare ATH m50 with senn 598? Are they in same level?

Jul 20, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #14 of 27
You will not be disappointed in the 598s.  You like Coldplay (so indie rock kind of) They're good with vocals but these headphones sound good with most genres (obviously aren't super bass cannons but hip hop still sounds good through them)  
They should sound good un-amped with your iPad since they are very easy to drive, and even better with your fiio.  People also say they have a great soundstage.  These headphones don't have the clearest detail though, read some reviews they really are great head phones.
Hei in ur opinion, can i compare ATH m50 with 598? Someone say ath is good too.. But i already fall in love with sennheiser sound:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back