Sennheiser HD 490 Pro Plus coming?
Jan 24, 2024 at 7:36 PM Post #61 of 569
Can't really tell from the photos and vids but upon first seeing them I thought of my budget HD450SE, the 490 may be made in China and has the much more affordable 280 driver. The S2 is indeed a very fine headphone, possible higher grade plastics and much tighter build tolerances so the new 490 may sit somewhere above the current HD560S so pricing appears correct.... but don't quote me, just my cursory observations.
Did something happen to make the 560S jump almost $100 in price from introduction around that $139 level? It's insane now.

Jan 24, 2024 at 11:17 PM Post #62 of 569
Did something happen to make the 560S jump almost $100 in price from introduction around that $139 level? It's insane now.

Post Christmas sales retail price.

It was down around $150 not long ago. From the camel

1000007488.jpg

Jan 25, 2024 at 4:42 AM Post #64 of 569
Found this in depth review with some sound samples.
It seems the highs are tamed in direct comparison with the 560s which is strange, but despite it, the 490 pro has wider staging and the mids are rich and full.
My unit will arrive tomorrow and if sennheiser didn't mess up the highs, this hp could become a new classic - or not :) - will see

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024 at 5:41 AM Post #65 of 569
Found this in depth review with some sound samples.
It seems the highs are tamed in direct comparison with the 560s which is strange, but despite it, the 490 pro has wider staging and the mids are rich and full.
My unit will arrive tomorrow and if sennheiser didn't mess up the highs, this hp could become a new classic - or not :) - will see

Do you have any 6series Headphones or a 58X which you will be able to compare with?

Jan 25, 2024 at 6:22 AM Post #66 of 569
I am always excited when a new product from Sennheiser (pro or cosumer division) claiming high quality sound and accuracy appears. But I dislike much speculation and over-analysis before actuall listening impressions by users find their way here. It will be disappointing if a new model with potential is marred by significant treble emphasis but until this is acctually verified by true users I will keep hopping. I have learned that commercial reviews can be truth reversing or very heavily biased thus I appreciate comments by simple music and headphone lovers much more. To be precise, I appreciate the average outcome from many comments and comparisons with known references as is the HD-600/650.
Above all, I trust my ears and my own humble measuring jig (miniDSP EARS) when I want to compare headphones and their behaviour.
I hope I"ll be able to listen to the HD-490 Pro sometime soon to see if they have something more to offer than the above famous couple. At least one other headphone has done that (and spectacularly so) at a price much lower than € 1.000)

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024 at 10:40 AM Post #71 of 569
@LoyK are they brighter than hd560s?
Nope, definitely not, rather the opposite. Mine arrived today (after less than 24 hours, I'm only 200 km from Thomann), but I've only been able to compare them with the HD560s for a few minutes so far. In comparison without EQ, the bass is much more powerful with the velour pads than with the HD560s. The treble is a bit recessed and reminds me of the HD650s, which I sold a few days ago and which are now missing for a direct comparison. Staging also seems to be a little wider on the HD 490 Pro. Apart from that, I can't make a qualified statement about the sound quality. Not now, and probably not later either, as I'm a rookie with regard to audiophile description of the characteristics.

The build quality is a mixed bag. The metal bracket makes a good impression, but the plastic is rough and feels cheaper than on the HD6xx series. The HD560s are not necessarily of higher quality, but the plastic surface is smoother. With my large skull, I'm on the maximum setting with the HD 490s, with the HD560s it's the third or fourth click position. The earcups are little deeper so that the tips of the ears do not touch them on the inside.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024 at 11:00 AM Post #72 of 569
Mine arrived today as well (also living not so far from Thomann (DE)). I am not a professional audio producer, just a normal headphone enthusiast but the "HD490 Layman" was not available - thus I got the HD490 pro.
For me the built, comfort and feel is actually quite good and I like it more than the HD6xx or HD560s - probably due to the wider swivel and tilt of the cups of the HD490pro. Also the cable is nice; absolutely no microphonics ... I will measure the pin layout of the 4pin-mini-XLR next. I have a large head but still some margin with the headband adjustment.

To early for real sound impressions but the bass is surprisingly prominent with both pad variants but a bit too much with the velour "producer" pads for my specific taste. Overall very detailed and wide. Some measurements with my miniDSP EARS (HPN compensated, moved the cups on the rig a bit and the averages are then psychoacoustically smoothed):

The producing pads:
HD490pro_stock_prod.jpg

... and the Mix-pads vs. the producing-average:
HD490pro_stock_mix--vs--prod.jpg

To give you some reference, I also (re-)measured my HD6xx (orange/yellow) and my HD560s (red) with exactly the same input level from the ADI-2 DAC:
HD560s--vs--HD6xx--vs--HD490pro_stock.jpg

thus the HD490pro has about the same sensitivity as the HD560s.

I am quite happy with these as a new addition to my collection.

Jan 25, 2024 at 11:03 AM Post #73 of 569
For comparison with the HD 560s you have to keep in mind that there was a 2022 revision with less treble than the first production runs:
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-s-se/hd-560s/

I have the revision of 560s with less treble and would say that the difference is not that big in treble quantity.

Not sure if treble changes a bit after first hours of playing and wearing the pads in. But I would say that the HD 490 Pro has a good amount of treble and it could get fatiguing for long listening or be too much treble for some people (even on velour pads/production with a bit warmer signature). Maybe if that is the case for you you can try to put some cloth/paper between driver and pad which is pretty easy here (or just use some slight EQ).

Pads are about 6,8cm * 5,2cm * 2,2cm (Opening height, width and pad thickness)

Jan 25, 2024 at 11:20 AM Post #75 of 569
Concerning the cable and the 4pin mini-XLR cup connectors:

The headphones are internally balanced (I know, professionals do not care but I do because I have some balanced-only amps).
The pins are (when looking onto the cable mini-XLR):
1=L+
2=L-
3=R+
4=R-
with the SE stock cable, 4 and 2 are obviously connected to the same GND but internally, they are seperated.

I measured a resistance of 120 Ohm for each driver (+- 1 Ohm) which is quite close to the 116 Ohm I get for my HD560s.

EDIT: for clarity on plug.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back