Sennheiser hd 439 vs Ath M50 vs Vmoda m80
Jul 28, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #4 of 14
"Better" is pretty arguable.

The HD25 has better isolation, and more sparkle in its treble, though it can get fatiguing at times. Though I have not heard the M80, the general consensus is that it is a bit treble recessed. The HD25 isolates better, though I'm pretty sure the M80 will be more comfortable. Both are extremely well built.

So you are choosing between a V-shaped FR (HD25) and one with a nice low and mid end (M80). The decision can fall either way. I'd recommend you find a way to audition both if possible. 

Good luck! Cheers!

Jul 28, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #5 of 14
Agreed with the impressions on the HD25^^

OP I find your genres more pleasing on the M-80 because of the lack of fatigue I get from them. Also thy have a wider soundstage while the HD25 sounds a bit congested. They're both detailed, good headphones but I'd take the M-80 for your genres in a heartbeat.

Jul 28, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #6 of 14
If you're looking for better isolation and a wider soundstage however another option is the AKG K181DJ, which I consider to be in the same league as the aforementioned headphones.

Jul 28, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #7 of 14
To add to this thread, how are the Crossfade LP2 compared to the M-80?  Personally I love around-ear headphones over on-ear.  On-ear cans make me feel like I'm not wearing a legit, badass pair of headphones.  Weird, huh?

Jul 29, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:
How does the akg 181 dj stack up in terms of comfort versus the vmoda? And will an amp be necessary? I will be using the headphones with an iPad and iPod touch 4g.

From what I understand, an amp is unnecessary for both headphones, but I'm sure you'll get better sound quality using one.  I highly doubt it'll be a huge difference, though.

Jul 29, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #14 of 14
The k181 scales wih an amp but is not necessary. As for comfort the M-80 is the most comfortable supraaural I have ever had the pleasure of owning. It's also more portable than the K181, which can be slightly bulky in comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back