Sennheiser HD-280 pro OR Sony-MDR7506 (v6)?
Jun 9, 2003 at 5:44 AM Post #16 of 29
isolation and practice are probably a lot more important than super tight bass for beat matching. of course isolation can be made up for by blasting the cue trim. only problem is you might end up like me with a little less sensitivity to hearing in your left ear. (or you could take the way of the weak and wear earplugs under your whole setup)

Jun 9, 2003 at 6:04 AM Post #17 of 29
Unfortunately, for those of you who think that loose, boomy, bloated bass is good for beatmatching, you're wrong. That overboosted bass is actually counterproductive; that is, that boom will in most cases only work against you when you're trying to beatmatch. You can't reliably judge where the real beats hit in this case, because there would be false resonances masking the actual beats.

I'm tired of fighting those claims, but I have to pee.

Jun 9, 2003 at 8:58 AM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
Well, for that matter, the V6 isn't really discontinued, either
very_evil_smiley.gif

They occasionaly still appear at some online retailers, but in any case it's officially no longer available through Sony's consumer department. The only place you (well, at least me) can find the V6 being mentioned at all on any Sony site is where it says "Original Part has been replaced" and "Replacement Item: MDRV600"...

Jun 9, 2003 at 9:43 AM Post #19 of 29
Mitaic m8,its all based on how u work better.
Hd 280 pros offer more detailed bass and better isolation,but im almost sure it will be hard to hear it on club condition! Too much outside noise,if u get me.
The v6's,im sure the have a "louder" bass,making it more audible and "beatmatchable" but it can be a workaround sometimes.If u can listen to the bass of the 280's with cluby noise all around u,then go for it!
If u want more impact in the bass,try the 7506's!
if u want more help from me,ask
smily_headphones1.gif
!

Jun 9, 2003 at 1:57 PM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by DoomForce
Mitaic m8,its all based on how u work better.
Hd 280 pros offer more detailed bass and better isolation,but im almost sure it will be hard to hear it on club condition! Too much outside noise,if u get me.
The v6's,im sure the have a "louder" bass,making it more audible and "beatmatchable" but it can be a workaround sometimes.If u can listen to the bass of the 280's with cluby noise all around u,then go for it!
If u want more impact in the bass,try the 7506's!
if u want more help from me,ask
smily_headphones1.gif
!

I haven't played out so by god, I really have no idea how I work under more auditorially strainous situation. I do know that when working at home, I seem to do better with less boomy cans. Should I be considering about phones when playing-out?

So what do you use? and other people?

Jun 9, 2003 at 6:19 PM Post #21 of 29
I really havent played in a club either but if u can have a separated dj booth(so that the speaker volume wont hit u in the face) the senns will be cool.
By the way,i've read that Sasha uses the 7506 all the time,to add a bit to those cans.
I'm really trying to help u not make a mistake here cause i know how it feels (I was in the same situation like u some months ago) and noone has a100 bucks to waste.
As i said,if u have a nice mixer u can do miracles with the hd280 pro.Even if the bass is so deep u cant make it out with one ear,u can eq some db in the bass frequencies and all will be fine(hopefully).
In few words:
Sony mdr-v600-700's dj: BOOMY BASS
Sony mdr-v6-7506's:EXTENDED BASS
Senn Hd280 pro: DEEP BASS

correct me if im wrong.
It all depends on your taste though,and the way u work.
If u can audition them...awesome.

Jun 9, 2003 at 7:41 PM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

I really havent played in a club either but if u can have a separated dj booth(so that the speaker volume wont hit u in the face) the senns will be cool.
By the way,i've read that Sasha uses the 7506 all the time,to add a bit to those cans.
I'm really trying to help u not make a mistake here cause i know how it feels (I was in the same situation like u some months ago) and noone has a100 bucks to waste.
As i said,if u have a nice mixer u can do miracles with the hd280 pro.Even if the bass is so deep u cant make it out with one ear,u can eq some db in the bass frequencies and all will be fine(hopefully).
In few words:

correct me if im wrong.

indeed lots of famous DJs use 7506, if they haven't been bought by Sony to endorse the v700s.

you are right about the bass range... except I wasn't sure what "extended bass" mean. All I know when I tried them out is that the bass in 7506 was exaggerated, but not as deep (ie, frequency range doesn't go as low as the Senns, maybe I just have sensitive ears). And HD-280 actually sounds tighter than 7506 which I liked.

thank you for helping out.

Jun 9, 2003 at 7:49 PM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

In few words:

correct me if im wrong.

To my ears, the V6 has both deep and exaggerated bass.

Jun 9, 2003 at 9:39 PM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by PeterR
They occasionaly still appear at some online retailers, but in any case it's officially no longer available through Sony's consumer department. The only place you (well, at least me) can find the V6 being mentioned at all on any Sony site is where it says "Original Part has been replaced" and "Replacement Item: MDRV600"...

Yes, they've been "officially" off the market for some time, mainly because Sony wants people to buy the more expensive, but identical, 7506. But they're still technically in production.

Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Scarpitti
To my ears, the V6 has both deep and exaggerated bass.

You also think that Stax electrostats have great bass
very_evil_smiley.gif

(Sorry, couldn't resist
wink.gif
)

The V6 bass is very extended and actually closer to flat that the vast majority of other headphones. Their midrange is a bit recessed, and they can sound quite analytical, but overall they're great cans for the money. I personally prefer them slightly over the HD 280 Pro (I've owned both). Both are analytical/cold in their presentation, though.

Jun 9, 2003 at 9:41 PM Post #25 of 29
Yeah, tight extended bass is great especially on the production side of things or if you want to play a lot of breaks or scratch or beat juggle. But the kind of music you want to play it seems that timing isn't going to be nearly as important as tempo, with which you control the flow and crossfade seamlessly. That and if you're just begininng you probably don't have high end tables anyways so even if you know just where the break or beat in a record is you want to hit, you won't be able to reliably get your record up to speed to hit whatever you want to hit. (yes i know skills takes some of this out of play) So yeah. Get whatever. You'll be fine, you'll figure out what you like. I would just point you towards some v6/7506's because they're already tested and proven. Plus you get some of that old school sony street cred.
tongue.gif

Jun 9, 2003 at 9:45 PM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF

The V6 bass is very extended and actually closer to flat that the vast majority of other headphones. Their midrange is a bit recessed, and they can sound quite analytical, but overall they're great cans for the money. I personally prefer them slightly over the HD 280 Pro (I've owned both). Both are analytical/cold in their presentation, though.

Both the lower treble and bass are indeed exaggerated. Not to the point of ridiculousness, mind you, but they certainly are not flat, and certainly not as flat as my Lambda's, whose bass actually extends lower.

Jun 9, 2003 at 10:01 PM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Scarpitti
they certainly are not flat, and certainly not as flat as my Lambda's, whose bass actually extends lower.

If you say so, Mike.

Jun 9, 2003 at 11:14 PM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by usc goose
Yeah, tight extended bass is great especially on the production side of things or if you want to play a lot of breaks or scratch or beat juggle. But the kind of music you want to play it seems that timing isn't going to be nearly as important as tempo, with which you control the flow and crossfade seamlessly. That and if you're just begininng you probably don't have high end tables anyways so even if you know just where the break or beat in a record is you want to hit, you won't be able to reliably get your record up to speed to hit whatever you want to hit. (yes i know skills takes some of this out of play) So yeah. Get whatever. You'll be fine, you'll figure out what you like. I would just point you towards some v6/7506's because they're already tested and proven. Plus you get some of that old school sony street cred.
tongue.gif

I know what you are saying.
wink.gif

If by high-end tables you mean the MK5g's... well you are right. I am only spinning on a pair of M3Ds.
rolleyes.gif
I am actually not really a beginner per se... been DJing and mixing out of my computer for about four years. Also dabbled in some elementary remixing but gave up cuz I couldn't afford all the high-end softwares. For live PC DJing, I used virtual turntable which imho is still pretty robust and close to real DJing, now I've moved onto vinyls. I just decided to get professional, and want to invest with decent equipments. It's an interesting route to take; I started in digital world and now moving back to analogue. Most likely in a year of time (or less), I'll emerge the two when I get Final Scratch. Perhaps it's the digital background that I like the precision so much and couldn't let go of it.
biggrin.gif

soapbox.gif

ed: btw, (totally unreated, but i'm stickin' it here) I recommend virtual turntable to anyone who wants to have a taste of Djing using your existing mp3s, unless you want to scratch. Once you've mastered virtual turntable, it's fairly easy to move onto vinyls in my experience. I think it only took me a couple of hours of solid practicing to adapt to the tactile side of music control of the vinyls, and maybe a week to get beatmatching and phrasing down. That is, adapting your body to the tables.
soapbox.gif

Jun 12, 2003 at 2:38 AM Post #29 of 29
I own the 280Pro's and V-6's (as noted elsewhere- identical to the 7506 x for the gold plug). V-6 has more extended base, while the 280's have a better sound stage & more detailed high's for general listening. Isolation is a bit better with the 280's, but not alot IMHO. For DJ use, it's V-6 all the way. The ear pads have a much greater range of motion & the metal headband can be adjusted (bent) however you want it. The construction of the 280 is not that user-friendly (bulky plastic which seems to sit how IT wants to on your head).

Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back