Sennheiser GSX 1000 / 1200 Impressions
Jan 31, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #241 of 1,519
  Great answer! 

To answer your last sentence; I kinda am, or at least I make a living playing Overwatch and currently in 500 world. So I was thinking to take this to next level. You guys already gave me the advice to get the fidelo x2 and I love it.

Next upgrade would be a DAC AMP combo and I am thinking about the GSX. You mean a proper (like what) would be even better? 

Again, thanks!

You've gotten the fun cans, you might as well get the fun DAC&AMP.

Got myself the X2s, GSX, and V-Moda mic and it is certainly a tidy setup.
I just dislike the GSX with a passion... other than the 7.1 which is its only worthwhile feature.
Gonna test it vs my onboard and then return it, will probably get a Schiit Fulla 2 if I find the onboard too horrible.

I can only hope Sennheiser will put their 7.1 into a good product eventually.

Jan 31, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #243 of 1,519
True, and thinking of getting ad700 to pair it with the gsx. Should be the best setup fps setup out there right now?

Im not really after fun, but the x2s was on mega sale here in sweden (90 $) and that was just the best buy some months ago

Jan 31, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #244 of 1,519
  True, and thinking of getting ad700 to pair it with the gsx. Should be the best setup fps setup out there right now?

Im not really after fun, but the x2s was on mega sale here in sweden (90 $) and that was just the best buy some months ago

Well, if you're from Sweden let me tell you that the AD series are overpriced as **** here and on Amazon UK.
On Amazon US the AD700X goes for 100 USD.

And no, the AD700X isn't the best.
Hell, it's even in the second most worst in its own line... Goes: 500<700<900<1000<2000
Some say the AD2000X have the best imaging in the world.

Feb 1, 2017 at 2:37 AM Post #245 of 1,519
  You've gotten the fun cans, you might as well get the fun DAC&AMP.

Got myself the X2s, GSX, and V-Moda mic and it is certainly a tidy setup.
I just dislike the GSX with a passion... other than the 7.1 which is its only worthwhile feature.
Gonna test it vs my onboard and then return it, will probably get a Schiit Fulla 2 if I find the onboard too horrible.

I can only hope Sennheiser will put their 7.1 into a good product eventually.

I used the same set up as you do when I had the GSX 1000 and I think it's almost a perfect set up.

Only reason I returned it was because $200 for such a device is still considered too much and it's amp isn't really powerful and seems to be on par with my Asus Xonar DG amp (which I bypass with optical out and use a Schiit Modi 2 Uber and Cayin C5 amp).

But for low impedance headphones, the GSX does just fine.

Just don't really understand why you dislike it.....I mean it is not the best in terms of internal hardware and the 7.1 works better than SBX or DH in my opinion.

Are you expecting more oomph from the X2's? because honestly you wont get much more out of an X2 by upgrading to a higher end set up. Schiit Modi and a warm amp will pretty my have good synergy with the X2 and make the sound a bit more fuller but that's it.

X2 is what it is. :)

Feb 1, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #246 of 1,519
  I used the same set up as you do when I had the GSX 1000 and I think it's almost a perfect set up.

Only reason I returned it was because $200 for such a device is still considered too much and it's amp isn't really powerful and seems to be on par with my Asus Xonar DG amp (which I bypass with optical out and use a Schiit Modi 2 Uber and Cayin C5 amp).

But for low impedance headphones, the GSX does just fine.

Just don't really understand why you dislike it.....I mean it is not the best in terms of internal hardware and the 7.1 works better than SBX or DH in my opinion.

Are you expecting more oomph from the X2's? because honestly you wont get much more out of an X2 by upgrading to a higher end set up. Schiit Modi and a warm amp will pretty my have good synergy with the X2 and make the sound a bit more fuller but that's it.

X2 is what it is. :)

My greatest gripes are that:
I got powered speakers so I gotta deal with 2 dials.
The GSX wheel changes my music player volume as well as Windows volume, so that screws up any game to music volume balance.
I get that very subtle background hiss.
I can't plug in any headphone in it because it's too weak.
And it can't sound as nice as a real DAC&AMP because it's a tacky gaming product with leds and display and sensors.

Feb 1, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #247 of 1,519
My greatest gripes are that:
I got powered speakers so I gotta deal with 2 dials.
The GSX wheel changes my music player volume as well as Windows volume, so that screws up any game to music volume balance.
I get that very subtle background hiss.
I can't plug in any headphone in it because it's too weak.
And it can't sound as nice as a real DAC& because it's a tacky gaming product with leds and display and sensors.

Well first of all if you ha e powered speakers...you can leave the speakers individual volume dials on max and just control the volume via the GSX volume dial. GSX volume actually controls windows volume so there is that.

Although that is weird that it controls your music player and windows volume at the same time....

Background hiss happened on my set up as well..must be a groinding issue with the GSX

As for using any headphone with the GSX...it was never meant to replace a higher end audiophile set up. Obviously this was directed towards gamers. You got your hopes up too soon buddy lol.

Its DAC/Amp are good for what it is and meant for headphones around the 32ohm and 150ohm range...32ohm and 50ohm being the sweet spot but yes they could have done better.

I see the GSX1000/1200 as a "test" for Sennheiser to see what they are going to do next.

Feb 1, 2017 at 11:48 PM Post #248 of 1,519
Well first of all if you ha e powered speakers...you can leave the speakers individual volume dials on max and just control the volume via the GSX volume dial. GSX volume actually controls windows volume so there is that.

Although that is weird that it controls your music player and windows volume at the same time....

Background hiss happened on my set up as well..must be a groinding issue with the GSX

As for using any headphone with the GSX...it was never meant to replace a higher end audiophile set up. Obviously this was directed towards gamers. You got your hopes up too soon buddy lol.

Its DAC/Amp are good for what it is and meant for headphones around the 32ohm and 150ohm range...32ohm and 50ohm being the sweet spot but yes they could have done better.

I see the GSX1000/1200 as a "test" for Sennheiser to see what they are going to do next.

It controls Windows volume through keystrokes like a keyboard, whoever thought that was a good idea I will never know.

Enabling hotkey support for volume up/down for my keyboard makes the GSX hijack that function seeing as they use the same keystrokes.
So now I can't control the music volume alone.

It's a product for audio enthusiast gamers, not all gamers.
It's priced as such and should perform as such.
None with a cheap headset is gonna go out and buy this thing I hope.

They don't even support their own headphones.

It would certainly be a shame if they threw away this wonderful virtual 7.1 DSP.
It's also a shame you gotta deal with all this gaming BS to get it.

Feb 2, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #249 of 1,519

It controls Windows volume through keystrokes like a keyboard, whoever thought that was a good idea I will never know.

Enabling hotkey support for volume up/down for my keyboard makes the GSX hijack that function seeing as they use the same keystrokes.
So now I can't control the music volume alone.

It's a product for audio enthusiast gamers, not all gamers.
It's priced as such and should perform as such.
None with a cheap headset is gonna go out and buy this thing I hope.

They don't even support their own headphones.

It would certainly be a shame if they threw away this wonderful virtual 7.1 DSP.
It's also a shame you gotta deal with all this gaming BS to get it.

I don't think it was market as an audio enthusiast product but more for a competitive gamer product.
Yeah, for the price it is being sold for, I expected more.
And yeah no one with a cheap headset will go out and buy and I don't think that was Sennheiser's intention lol.

I don't know what you mean about them not supporting their own headphones.....I mean even though it is not very intended for audiophiles but someone that has a general idea of how audio works should always be looking up at the specs. Specs for the GSX for out before it was released and most kind of knew that the internal amp powering up to 150ohm headphones was not going to cut it. Like I said, in my opinion, it performs well with headphones rated around 50ohms or less like the HD598 or the X2. With my AKG K7XX it worked well but not at it's best since it requires a bit more juice to really make the K7XX shine. Even my CALs did very well when I used them with the GSX 1000.

I played with the GSX 1000 for 3 weeks and then returned it because like you mentioned....$200+ for such a product with mediocre specs is not really worth it. If the GSX were to be sold around the $120 range, then it would have been just right and I would be sure many gamers would buy it because it would compete with other similar devices around the same range like the Astro Mix Amp, Creative G5 (well it's eh for virtual surround sound), Creatives X7, etc.

Considering how cheap the G5 went on sale a few months ago (around $75 dollars I think, Just like the Recon3D was sold for $70 before it was discontinued and I have one still), the GSX will no doubt drop in price soon in the coming months because it doesn't seem to be selling that well. Overstock has it for $166 I think, so that gives an indication that it will drop in price.

As for how I said that this may be a test, well I don't think they will abolish this DSP they have made, it kicks butt. All they really have to do is package it up with more beefy hardware and slightly better firmware/software implementation (doesn't require drivers btw) and a second gen GSX will definitely would be worth it (although the price may be higher, since Sennheiser is know to uber charge for most of their headphones anyways, but they are still worth it to some extent).

So yeah. I am not a Sennheiser fanboy, even if I have 3 pairs of their headphones lol but the GSX, without talking price wise, is a good piece of hardware...all it needs is refinement.

your problems may be due to your particular set up, that is something you have to remember because everyone's computer is built differently using different hardware and drivers so results will always vary from person to person. You may just be one of the unlucky ones, that is all. But don't give up, something new (which there will be plenty during this year) will come out and satisfy your needs and will work with your current set up.

Feb 2, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #251 of 1,519
  I don't think it was market as an audio enthusiast product but more for a competitive gamer product.
Yeah, for the price it is being sold for, I expected more.
And yeah no one with a cheap headset will go out and buy and I don't think that was Sennheiser's intention lol.

I don't know what you mean about them not supporting their own headphones.....I mean even though it is not very intended for audiophiles but someone that has a general idea of how audio works should always be looking up at the specs. Specs for the GSX for out before it was released and most kind of knew that the internal amp powering up to 150ohm headphones was not going to cut it. Like I said, in my opinion, it performs well with headphones rated around 50ohms or less like the HD598 or the X2. With my AKG K7XX it worked well but not at it's best since it requires a bit more juice to really make the K7XX shine. Even my CALs did very well when I used them with the GSX 1000.

I played with the GSX 1000 for 3 weeks and then returned it because like you mentioned....$200+ for such a product with mediocre specs is not really worth it. If the GSX were to be sold around the $120 range, then it would have been just right and I would be sure many gamers would buy it because it would compete with other similar devices around the same range like the Astro Mix Amp, Creative G5 (well it's eh for virtual surround sound), Creatives X7, etc.

Considering how cheap the G5 went on sale a few months ago (around $75 dollars I think, Just like the Recon3D was sold for $70 before it was discontinued and I have one still), the GSX will no doubt drop in price soon in the coming months because it doesn't seem to be selling that well. Overstock has it for $166 I think, so that gives an indication that it will drop in price.

As for how I said that this may be a test, well I don't think they will abolish this DSP they have made, it kicks butt. All they really have to do is package it up with more beefy hardware and slightly better firmware/software implementation (doesn't require drivers btw) and a second gen GSX will definitely would be worth it (although the price may be higher, since Sennheiser is know to uber charge for most of their headphones anyways, but they are still worth it to some extent).

So yeah. I am not a Sennheiser fanboy, even if I have 3 pairs of their headphones lol but the GSX, without talking price wise, is a good piece of hardware...all it needs is refinement.

your problems may be due to your particular set up, that is something you have to remember because everyone's computer is built differently using different hardware and drivers so results will always vary from person to person. You may just be one of the unlucky ones, that is all. But don't give up, something new (which there will be plenty during this year) will come out and satisfy your needs and will work with your current set up.

So creative x5 vs sennhesier gsx if budget isnt a problem and only out for the most accurate position sound?

Feb 2, 2017 at 7:57 AM Post #252 of 1,519
  Well, if you're from Sweden let me tell you that the AD series are overpriced as **** here and on Amazon UK.
On Amazon US the AD700X goes for 100 USD.

And no, the AD700X isn't the best.
Hell, it's even in the second most worst in its own line... Goes: 500<700<900<1000<2000
Some say the AD2000X have the best imaging in the world.

From my understanding they higher versions then 700x will have more bass and the 700 version is the best because of the soundstage it has without the bass to ruin anything. 

Or would you say 1000x/2000x would be better for accurate with the GSX still?

Feb 2, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #253 of 1,519

From my understanding they higher versions then 700x will have more bass and the 700 version is the best because of the soundstage it has without the bass to ruin anything. 

Or would you say 1000x/2000x would be better for accurate with the GSX still?

Calm down with them audio terms, you have 'em confused.
Imaging is what's important, not soundstage - generally you can't have tons of both.
The AD series have imaging and highs for days, which is the equivalent of hearing just footsteps inside your brain but by God can you tell where in your brain it comes from.
But they have very little soundstage, so they're pretty much the opposite of X2s.

The idea that within that series more money is better everything.
Get the headphones first, then worry about the DAC and AMP.

Feb 2, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #254 of 1,519
  Calm down with them audio terms, you have 'em confused.
Imaging is what's important, not soundstage - generally you can't have tons of both.
The AD series have imaging and highs for days, which is the equivalent of hearing just footsteps inside your brain but by God can you tell where in your brain it comes from.
But they have very little soundstage, so they're pretty much the opposite of X2s.

The idea that within that series more money is better everything.
Get the headphones first, then worry about the DAC and AMP.

Thank you for clarifying, as you understand I am quite new and thats why I am here so I dont waste any money and learn more. Really thankful.

So the 700x beats the x2 in gaming because of its imaging, and the higher version >900/1000/2000 i go will even have better imaging. 

But wont the bass on those defect me? No need for gsx you say then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-HWq3wiVFQ

huge improvement here 

Feb 2, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #255 of 1,519

Thank you for clarifying, as you understand I am quite new and thats why I am here so I dont waste any money and learn more. Really thankful.

So the 700x beats the x2 in gaming because of its imaging, and the higher version >900/1000/2000 i go will even have better imaging. 

But wont the bass on those defect me? No need for gsx you say then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-HWq3wiVFQ

huge improvement here 

No problem.

Yes, the 700X beats the X2s tactically because of its better imaging and better/clearer highs and supposedly the 900X beats the 700X for the same reasons and so on through the AD series.

I don't know anything, I haven't heard the AD series.
I know only what other people think and I deduce that you'd have to be a madman to complain about too much bass on any of them - seeing as you're not bass sensitive anyway.

Will the GSX provide a tactical advantage over an excellent DAC and AMP in [game title]?
Maybe.
It won't improve imaging.
For me in EA SWBF the difference was "Man I'm getting shot from the right." and "Man I'm getting shot from the right and it doesn't feel fatiguing because I hear appropriately much of it in the left cup, this sure is nicer."

You can't really get the proper experience through youtube: compression, poor recording, no game sense and what not - hell he might have the wrong settings.

If you get an easy to drive headphones I recommend getting the GSX and if you don't love the virtual 7.1 return it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back