Sennheiser CX95 and CX550
Mar 20, 2009 at 7:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

xenithon

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all. I am currently looking for some earphones, and looking at these two Sennheiser models (as both are locally available and would rather get them here than import). I am also specifically looking for something which is not too deep inserting (but not an earbud either) so these two are particularly attractive options.

I believe that the CX550 is the replacement of the CX95 though the one thread here says that they are virtually identical. I'd just like to ask if anyone has compared the two in terms of physical build/fit. In other words, are both similar or is one deeper inserting? It is difficult to tell from images on the Internet, but it seems as if the CX95 is deeper inserting, while the CX550 is shallower (like its younger CX300 sibling)?

Cheers
X

Mar 20, 2009 at 8:52 AM Post #3 of 6
i agree they look absolutely identical i suspect they are the same just a change in name to make there naming structure make more sense. the 95 never slotted in well name wise

it could be tht the cx550 and cx55 have the same drivers and re just a different shape?

actually has no one asked sennheiser directly about this yet?

Mar 20, 2009 at 9:27 AM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for the prompt replies!

walkingman - would you say your CX95's fulfill the criteria of "shallow inserting"?

Mar 20, 2009 at 9:38 AM Post #5 of 6
Due to the design, they do go in deeper than the CX 300, but not nearly as deep as Etys or even Klipsch Customs. My ear canals are pretty short so I may not be the best person to compare them, but they do isolate well. If you want something that sits a bit outside, the IE series/CX 6 may suit you better.

Some pictures of the CX 6 here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/s...7/#post5282651

Mar 20, 2009 at 1:07 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks again for the feedback!

I'm working on a tight budget so would like to keep it in the $50-$80 mark. I did some further reading and it seems like the CX300/CX500 are shallower inserting and thus may be preferably. Has anyone compare the older CX500 to the newer (deeper inserting) design models such as CX95/CX550? I can get the CX500 at a pretty good price and it looks ideal in terms of not going in too far into the ear canal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back