Sennheiser Amperiors?
Jul 4, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #571 of 1,022
I want to pay $350 for these........ Here in Australia they cost $530... That is Way too much. I have tried various online stores, but they all email me back stating that Sennheiser does not allow shipping to Australia.

Would anyone know a website that is willing to ship to Australia for the US Price?

Jul 4, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #572 of 1,022
Quote:
I want to pay $350 for these........ Here in Australia they cost $530... That is Way too much. I have tried various online stores, but they all email me back stating that Sennheiser does not allow shipping to Australia.
Would anyone know a website that is willing to ship to Australia for the US Price?

Why bother ? Have you already heard the hd25 II 1 ? They sound pretty similar.

Jul 4, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #574 of 1,022
Quote:

Out of all the headphones I have tested so far (Grado's excluded), only the Audio-Technica ATH-ES7 had a good soundstage (nice detailed sound also) but the headband felt like someone had hit you on the bonce (head) with an iron-bar after about 30mins use so any enjoyment was lost in the race for headache pills... I fancy a go at the ESW9 or ES10's but a couple of things stop me from having a peck, the headband, it looks padded but is it well-padded and the bass... on the ES7 it had bass but no real oomph.

choices huh

I have Ultrasone Ed8 which i love, but they are pricy.  The esw9 and es10 to me have the same highs and mids but eh es10 had way more bass.  It may be my bassiest headphone, DX1000 is up too but i think without a/b them that the es10 takes it.  The es10 also has a fuller sound than the esw9 but due to the bass maybe not quite as well balanced-that depends on what you are used to though.  I really like them both and the esw9 for $200 now is dirt cheap and maybe the best deal in town over there at Beach Camera online i believe.   The es10s are harder to get here at just over $400. imported, they are a more substantial headphone though with those 52mm drivers and i chose them now always over the esw9's.  

Between them(es10's) and the Ed8 it depends on my mood.  Out in the noise outside the full sound and good bass is great but when i am in the mood for real detailed sound i take the Ed8 even though it is heavier and a bit more cumbersome.

As a side note, this may have been mentioned but i tried the Apple store over here today, they knew nothing about the Amperiors and said they seemed to be online only when they checked with apple, earliest date for shipping was like the 12th of July, in eight days.  I just wanted to look at them.

Jul 5, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #575 of 1,022
Quote:
Why bother ? Have you already heard the hd25 II 1 ? They sound pretty similar.

Yeah I have heard them. They sound great. I might have to just settle with them for $250... unless there is another way to get the amperiors
cheaper. Anyone offer a service here to ship sennheiser to Melbourne :p

Jul 5, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #576 of 1,022
I'm not buying them from the apple store. Sennheiser has just shot themselves in the foot with this very stupid marketing move.

Jul 5, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #577 of 1,022
Quote:
I'm not buying them from the apple store. Sennheiser has just shot themselves in the foot with this very stupid marketing move.

IIRC, someone said that it was a 60 or 90 day exclusivity period. So they will be available in other stores in a bit. I won't be buying them unless I can eventually find them at other stores and for less than $350.

Jul 5, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #578 of 1,022
Quote:

IIRC, someone said that it was a 60 or 90 day exclusivity period. So they will be available in other stores in a bit. I won't be buying them unless I can eventually find them at other stores and for less than $350.

Agreed they are not worth $350.  I had them and returned:

Appearance= 10
Comfort      = 10
Sound         =7.5

Jul 6, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #580 of 1,022
Quote:
Took mine back also. The narrow soundstage was just driving me nuts.

Okay, well that does it for me. Out of like five people that I've seen buy them, at least three took them back...major bummer. 

Jul 6, 2012 at 4:52 AM Post #581 of 1,022
Quote:

Okay, well that does it for me. Out of like five people that I've seen buy them, at least three took them back...major bummer. 

Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing. The narrow soundstage and comfort issues I'm reading about are not making them look real tempting anymore...the K550's might find their way to my short list.

Quote:

Found that out a few hours ago...I should do my research before I post out of anger, lol.

Jul 6, 2012 at 4:57 AM Post #582 of 1,022
Quote:

Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing. The narrow soundstage and comfort issues I'm reading about are not making them look real tempting anymore...the K550's might find their way to my short list.

I love the look of those 550s.

Jul 6, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #583 of 1,022
I still love my Amperiors. They're breaking in beautifully. Out of curiosity, I purchased the Ultrasone Edition 8 this week to audition them against the Amperiors. They're quite a different sound signature from the Amperiors and I'm having a hard time deciding between them. I listen to 80% classical music and the ED8 is more detailed and has a larger soundstage than the Amperiors, but the base is almost too controlled, or lacking, for my tastes which makes the overall presentation sound too thin on many classical pieces. Not so with the Amperiors, which sound much more full-bodied and punchy with all types of music.There's an immediate wow-factor when I start listening to the Amperiors.

In contrast, I am underwhelmed every time I start listening to the ED8, but this changes after my brain has had a few minutes to adjust to their more neutral sound signature, and then the ED8 starts to reveal clarity, detail and a purity of sound I've never heard before on any headphones, though the base still remains lacking to some degree.

I am auditioning both the ED8 and Amperiors straight out of my iPad 3 and iPhone without an amp since this is the intended purpose for whichever of these cans I decide to keep. They're intended for travel, unamped. I have my home listening covered with my HD650s, Lavry DA11 DAC and DNA Sonnet. For reference, all my music is in Apple lossless.

Jul 6, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #585 of 1,022
Yes I did this already but I was not fatigued by their base. I also did this with my ED8, just to make sure the base actually existed and I didn't have faulty drivers! The base is there with base heavy R&B, for example, but it's very controlled. I realize this is a good thing and that maybe I have grown too accustomed to the Sennheiser house sound with its solid punchy base, but my ears (or my brain) find the base thin and lacking in a lot of music I've tried with the ED8. However, there may be some burn in needed (I've done none) and there may be a seal issue with my ears, or my brain may simply need more time to adjust to the much more neutral presentation of the ED8. I shall continue to discover their sound before making my choice. I do find the ED8 more intoxicating than the Amperiors. I think about them more, like an addiction. Their sound has more of a mystery to them. Every time I'm listening to the Amperiors, my brain starts to crave the detail and soundstage of the ED8 and I have to switch over to give my brain its fix...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back