Sennheiser Amperior Impressions Thread
Oct 25, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #406 of 1,054
  Just two quick questions for all you Amperior folks here:

1) Does the Amperior isolate better than the HD25?

2) Does the Amperior isolate better than the Beyerdynamic DT1350?

Thanks in advance! 
redface.gif

Try looking at Tyls charts, he measures isolation.  I used to own all three but the 25 was ages ago.  My recollection is that the 1350 and 25 isolate a bit more than the Amperior.  But best to take Tyl's measurements over my memory :)

Oct 25, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #407 of 1,054
1350 and HD25 isolate more than Amperior. But Amperior boasts a meatier low end that helps drown out engine noise. All of them are pretty good isolation wise with the HDs and DTs being the kings of isolation.

Oct 26, 2013 at 5:24 AM Post #409 of 1,054
  Perhaps I should stand corrected on the isolation thing. I looked it up at Inner-Fidelity and here's some graphs. I would like to know how to exactly interpret them?

Thanks for the charts! I actually looked them up an hour before you posted and what a great find!

Basically how you interpret these is that, anything below 0db is considered isolating that frequency to a certain number of db. On the contrary, anything above 0, seems to imply that there is an increase of that frequency by a certain number of db (very strange indeed how some headphones can amplify frequencies; probably due to the materials used to construct the headphone that resonants itself? 
biggrin.gif
).

So in theory, the lower the line is, the more it isolates.
(Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!)

Oct 26, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #410 of 1,054
Does anybody know where to get the Phillips L1 cable? Or another not so long extension a little thicker than the Amperior's stock cables? Thank you.

Oct 27, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #412 of 1,054
  Does anybody know where to get the Phillips L1 cable? Or another not so long extension a little thicker than the Amperior's stock cables? Thank you.

I picked up http://www.ebay.com/itm/380637583162?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649) off of ebay as I wanted a right angle connector with a deep plug. It's a really, really well done cable and I highly recommend it.

---------------------

I have my own question for this fantastic group of Amperior enthusiasts: can anyone recommend a circumaural (open or closed) headphone with a sound signature similar to the Amperior? I have a pair of V-Moda M-100's with XL pads and a Sennheiser HD580 (600 grills/custom cable) and while I like them both quite a bit, I still find myself going back to the Amperior around 60% of the time. Both of my other over-ears seem to lack a character that I enjoy with the Amperiors (high range presence, clarity, energy and "prat", tight bass, etc. etc.). 

Genre Preferences: I listen to a lot of Rock, especially Folk, Art Rock, Glam, Punk, Prog and Alternative. Actually, pretty well most rock genres...I'm equally likely to listen to Cat Stevens as Dragonforce; to Neil Finn as Meatloaf; to Queen as Tom Petty; to Buddy Holly as Sigur Ros; to Roy Orbison as AC/DC; to Sloan as Serj Tankian; to RHCP as Simon & Garfunkel; to Radiohead as Rodriguez. 

What I'm really looking for is an Amperior with more comfortable, over-ear pads and wider digital imaging/soundstage. If any of you have recommendations, I'd appreciate it.

Oct 27, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #414 of 1,054

I picked up http://www.ebay.com/itm/380637583162?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649) off of ebay as I wanted a right angle connector with a deep plug. It's a really, really well done cable and I highly recommend it.

---------------------

I have my own question for this fantastic group of Amperior enthusiasts: can anyone recommend a circumaural (open or closed) headphone with a sound signature similar to the Amperior? I have a pair of V-Moda M-100's with XL pads and a Sennheiser HD580 (600 grills/custom cable) and while I like them both quite a bit, I still find myself going back to the Amperior around 60% of the time. Both of my other over-ears seem to lack a character that I enjoy with the Amperiors (high range presence, clarity, energy and "prat", tight bass, etc. etc.). 

Genre Preferences: I listen to a lot of Rock, especially Folk, Art Rock, Glam, Punk, Prog and Alternative. Actually, pretty well most rock genres...I'm equally likely to listen to Cat Stevens as Dragonforce; to Neil Finn as Meatloaf; to Queen as Tom Petty; to Buddy Holly as Sigur Ros; to Roy Orbison as AC/DC; to Sloan as Serj Tankian; to RHCP as Simon & Garfunkel; to Radiohead as Rodriguez. 

What I'm really looking for is an Amperior with more comfortable, over-ear pads and wider digital imaging/soundstage. If any of you have recommendations, I'd appreciate it.

You don't mention price.  I am listening to the ue 6000s after owning Ameriors, Momentums, JVC s500s, and like the clean clear mids, comfy as all get out and a very good value.  Needs a bit of eq in the lows and highs but gives you a bit more space..  And reasonable in price.  Best of the over the ears that I have heard recently in a somewhat smaller profile is the Sony 7520 and Focal Spirit Pro.  From there the Fostex TH600 tickles my ears.

Oct 27, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #415 of 1,054
  You don't mention price.  I am listening to the ue 6000s after owning Ameriors, Momentums, JVC s500s, and like the clean clear mids, comfy as all get out and a very good value.  Needs a bit of eq in the lows and highs but gives you a bit more space..  And reasonable in price.  Best of the over the ears that I have heard recently in a somewhat smaller profile is the Sony 7520 and Focal Spirit Pro.  From there the Fostex TH600 tickles my ears.

The Ultrasone Pro 900 comes to mind, but it's even heavier in the bass.

Thanks for the recommendations! Price is less of a concern for me than a reasonable fidelity to Amperior's sig -- which I really, really enjoy. (If it costs more than my current budget, I'll simply save up for it and wait for a deal. I have patience and time on my side.) 

I've really been fence sitting on whether or not to order a pair of UE6000's after hitting so many mid-fi sets. But, they are on Dealfisher refurbished in white for $90 right now; I may just have to pull the trigger at that price.

Oct 27, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #416 of 1,054
If you are not so concerned about price, you have to hear the Focal Spirit pros.  They are next on my list and I tried lots of cans at RMAF.  The UEs are great for the price but not even close to the same league as the Focals.  Comparing the Amps to the UE 6000 will net a more laid back mid, a bit less crunch up top and comfort on another level compared to the amps.  I loved the clean forward mids of the amps, just could not get comfy with them.  The new Senn HD 26 pros have all the good of the amps, sound better all around and are way more confy.  Perhaps if you like the Senn signature these would be on my must try list, too.

Oct 30, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #417 of 1,054
Just got my pair of UE6000's in.  They have a really great box, and the 3.5 jack splitter keychain dongle that they have is really nice. Great accessory set, Logitech. I disliked the cable though, so I'm using them with a NuForce Transient Cable. 

Initial observations (in passive mode): these things are p-o-l-i-t-e compared to the Amperiors and the M-100's. They actually remind me a lot of the Momentum's that I used to have around. At the $90.00 I paid for them, they are so much like the Momentum's in sonic character that I'm really now saddened by the Senn's price point. Lower mids seem fine, but upper mids feel really recessed. Nice detail, nice very bass (the bass gets boomy with the active mode on, but I find it a reasonably pleasant kind of boomy.) Listening to Beach Boys Pet Sounds "Sloop John B.", the high range is there -- but not sibilant or sharp at all.

Their polite character really is unpleasant for listening to Crowded House, Split Enz (really, anything by Neil Finn) or Talking Heads. "Into the Sunset" off One Nil seems way too relaxed, especially on the chord change to the outro. The Cars "Just What I Needed" lacks punch - it feels slow. The woodblocks that open Talking Heads "Listening Wind" seem incredibly far away. I'd chalk that sense of increased distance up to the difference in driver distance to the ear...except that it's just not the case with the M-100's with XL pads which are almost equidistant. (That's also not the case with my HD580 & D1 combo, and those things are earmuffs.) 

Going to use these around Chicago in passive and for noise canceling for a few days to decide if I like them or not. If not, they're getting returned. I get the sense that they may be a bit too laid back for my tastes, like the Momentums, and won't be hanging around too long. When you said that you "loved the clean forward mids of the amps" that's totally me too. Where the Amperior was too uncomfortable for you, I don't have that problem -- I'm just looking for an over-ear that's similar in character for long, at home listening sessions. The hunt continues!

Oct 30, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #418 of 1,054
Sorry to hear the UE6000s are a bit too polite for you as well.  I am going to do a fast eq session with them to see if I can get them a bit more forward.  I am thinking that a bit of lower mid bass reduction and some careful boost in the mids and highs might be what the doc ordered.  What do you use as your portable source?

Nice to see another Finn fan.  One of my favorite albums is Neill's Try Whistling this.  Do you think I would like One Nil?

oh, BTW decided to pull the trigger on Sony 7520s.  Hope they sound as good as my initial impressions at RMAF.

Oct 30, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #419 of 1,054
  Sorry to hear the UE6000s are a bit too polite for you as well.  I am going to do a fast eq session with them to see if I can get them a bit more forward.  I am thinking that a bit of lower mid bass reduction and some careful boost in the mids and highs might be what the doc ordered.  What do you use as your portable source?

Nice to see another Finn fan.  One of my favorite albums is Neill's Try Whistling this.  Do you think I would like One Nil?

oh, BTW decided to pull the trigger on Sony 7520s.  Hope they sound as good as my initial impressions at RMAF.

I think you'd love One Nil. Pick up the International version instead of the U.S. (They named it "One All", messed around with the track order/mastering, and remixed for songs for the U.S. release -- all for the worse.) Congrats on the new Sony's! Those look great, and I can't wait to hear what you think of them on a sustained listen.

I use three different mobile players: a Note II with Perseus Kernel (to give hardware access to the Wolfson 1911 DAC and built in amp, like with a Voodoo Galaxy S); a Rockboxed iPod Video 5.5g 80g + FiiO L9 + FiiO E17; Voodoo Galaxy S Captivate with CM10 + FiiO E11. Combination of Poweramp and Neutron for the Android based players (Neutron's UI pisses me off to no end, but it sounds so much better that I use it when I listen to FLACs.)

I run 320 bit rate mp3's out of the N2 and ALAC's out of the iPod and Voodoo S. N2 for on the go, iPod and Voodoo S for around the house and neighborhood walks. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back