Sennheiser 650 vs Grado RS-1?
Jan 21, 2004 at 2:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

joejr

New Head-Fier
Which would be your choice with the Berning ztol,
I'am looking for a very Liquid and smooth sound.
Headphone Comfort is also very important.
Thank You in Advance for your Advice.

Jan 21, 2004 at 2:32 PM Post #2 of 23
I currently use the HD650s and find them very comfortable, but people with average sized heads seem to find they clamp a bit at first. They do keep your ears warm!

As for sound, they are awesome. I've been thoroughly happy with them. However, to really open things up you can also get an upgrade cable, people seem to be keen on either the Zu Mobius or Moonaudio Silver Dragon. There are reviews in the cables section about these (I personally use the Mobius). Since you're looking at the RS-1s, I'd imagine the 650s and cable would pitch in around or under the same price.

The 650s perform as you say, providing a very smooth natural sound.

I've actually bought a pair of RS-1s from a fellow Head-fier, so hopefully I'll get a chance to do my own comparison for here in a few days time. So far I love the 650s, but figured that the difference in the way the two present recordings is no bad thing, I can mix and match as I please
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 21, 2004 at 2:56 PM Post #3 of 23
I see alot of talk on the headphone cables,where do i buy these different cables and who performs these modifications.
To my understanding the headphone cables are hardwire.

Jan 21, 2004 at 3:05 PM Post #4 of 23
EDIT

Jan 21, 2004 at 3:11 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Sean H

Just my two cents. RS-1 never gets the terms liquid and smooth associated with them, while you quite often hear smooth and liquid with the HD650.

Err...I use RS-1's primarily with Earmax Pro and EAR HP4. Smooth and liquid definitely applies.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 21, 2004 at 3:54 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
Err...I use RS-1's primarily with Earmax Pro and EAR HP4. Smooth and liquid definitely applies.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry. I'll edit my post.

EDIT: Done.

Jan 21, 2004 at 3:55 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
smily_headphones1.gif

Hi Hirsch,

you too think that the EAR HP-4 / Grados is a good combo... ??? What the best amp for your Grados cans? (in your experiences)

Best!
Nicola

Jan 21, 2004 at 4:37 PM Post #9 of 23
joejr: The Sennheiser HD650s have a socketed cable, a small 2 pin connector goes into each side of the phones. A couple of companies provide better quality cables (such as purer copper and silver etc.) that can refine the sound produced. There's loads of stuff about upgrades in the cable forum, so I'd recommend you look through there if you want to go down that route. You also don't need to send your phones off to anyone, you can change it yourself.

Jan 21, 2004 at 8:30 PM Post #10 of 23
I use the HD650 with a Mobius cable, the RS-1 with bowl pads, and drive both with an RA-1. For most kinds of music I prefer the sound of the RS-1, because it sounds more up-front, more open, and more life-like to my ears. But, for orchestral classical music I think that I prefer the HD650. I need more experience with both headphones before I can be more certain, however. But, for most types of music the RS-1 seems superior to my ears. Of course, an amp upgrade (e.g., an HR-2) may further improve the HD650.

Jan 21, 2004 at 9:13 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Welly Wu
MikeG: I use the HR-2 / RS-1 combination and it excellent! There's great synergy between both components provided your source is of the proper caliber.

Thanks for the info. I'm feeling the HR-2 purchase bug more and more, and may have to spring for one. MY source is great; i.e., it's a Marantz SA8260 SACD. BTW, are you using flat or bowl pads with the RS-1?

Jan 21, 2004 at 10:07 PM Post #14 of 23
Mikeg:

I am using the Joseph Grado Flat Pads. You MUST get them if you decide to push the trigger on the purchase of these most excellent headphones - the Grado RS-1s! The bowl pads are uncomfortable and they make the sound all messed up; they detract from the Grado house sound.

I am also thinking in the back of mind of doing something else with respect to the Grado brand: purchasing a used Grado RA-1 (DC only) and the Grado Siganture Seris ICs. I believe that focused power like a laser equals power and performance in life. I am going to have a well balanced audio / video rig (once I get the Pioneer Elite DV59-AVi as my source component). I have good headphones and I'd like to keep focusing on their strengths. Everybody here raves about the RA-1 / RS-1 synergy. People also talk about how the Grado Signature Series ICs make the Grado house sound all the more complete love affair. I'd like to find out for myself sometime down the road this year.

Jan 21, 2004 at 10:17 PM Post #15 of 23
Welly, I cannot explain it myself but that RA-1 is so wonderful with the RS-1 its almost scary..... I do not have those grado interconnects although I saw them in FS forum I did not PM (maybe should have done it at the time.......)

Basically you cannot go wrong when buying used RA-1 for RS-1 IMHO....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back