Sennheiser 598sr vs beyerdynamic custom game Vs mmx 300 Vs dt 990 pro
Jan 12, 2019 at 10:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

guiacampanholli

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I am planning to purchase a new headset or headphone to play fps games due the fact my Logitech g930 is so old. By your experiences, considering I search for a good audio quality + good mic, which one of these options you guys think is better?

Beyerdynamic Custom Game (headset):
200 euros on Amazon Italia

Beyerdynamic mmx 300 (headset):
270 euros on Amazon Italia

Sennheiser hd 598sr (headphone):
135 euros on Amazon Italia

Beyerdynamic dt 990 Pro 250 ohm (headphone):
119 euros on Amazon Italia

Sennheiser Game one (headset):
150 euros on Amazon Italia
Considering the options which are headphones, which solutions you recommend?

Plus, I must reinforce I pretend to spend maximum 260 euros (considering amps, microphone and etc). Also, I would like the best option for games.

Some mics I can purchase:
Mod mic 4.0= 63,83
Rode nt USB 2= 135

Also if possible I would like maybe an option where I can use to play and maybe go out with it (if this is possible).

Thanks guys

Would aptreciate so much your help
Have a good day

Jan 13, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #3 of 7
I can just chime in on two areas, and that is firstly that the Mod mic 4.0 is commonly sold in the uni directional variant. The omni variant has a more natural sound. And having used the 4.0 uni I dont think it cancels background noise well, so one might just as well go with the omni. The 5.0 has a switch so you can test and choose between both. There are a lot of youtube videos demonstrating the two variants with audio samples, so you can make up your own mind if mic quality matters.

Second is that Game ones afaik have HD598 drivers, the mic has very good noise cancellation from what I can tell, sound quality wise it is maybe not as good as mod mic or V-moda but ok. And the One may even make a better job as purely a mic for communication (in games anyway). From what I read a lot of the sound samples on Youtube are inaccurate (according to owners). But mod mic may be the safest bet as I believe there are even gaming headsets now with "better", or more natural sounding mics.

This was one I looked at, unsure if it is perfect but sounds ok and I believe better than other samples I viewed:

Mic test is at the end of the video.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2019 at 6:38 AM Post #5 of 7
I can just chime in on two areas, and that is firstly that the Mod mic 4.0 is commonly sold in the uni directional variant. The omni variant has a more natural sound. And having used the 4.0 uni I dont think it cancels background noise well, so one might just as well go with the omni. The 5.0 has a switch so you can test and choose between both. There are a lot of youtube videos demonstrating the two variants with audio samples, so you can make up your own mind if mic quality matters.

Second is that Game ones afaik have HD598 drivers, the mic has very good noise cancellation from what I can tell, sound quality wise it is maybe not as good as mod mic or V-moda but ok. And the One may even make a better job as purely a mic for communication (in games anyway). From what I read a lot of the sound samples on Youtube are inaccurate (according to owners). But mod mic may be the safest bet as I believe there are even gaming headsets now with "better", or more natural sounding mics.

This was one I looked at, unsure if it is perfect but sounds ok and I believe better than other samples I viewed:

Mic test is at the end of the video.

In fact I saw the mod mic uni sounds really not natural. Omni sounds to be better but includes more background noise. I really like the solution of vmoda but it's a mess to use them on a sennheiser headphone due to the 2.5 connection on them.

I was just thinking, maybe going with sennheiser hd 598sr + rode nt 2 USB.. It would be almost the same price of the mmx 300 but I really don't know between this 2 options which offers a better quality in terms of listening better games and mainly having a good mic. I listened that sennheiser hd 598 is awesome but they sacrifice the bass which for some is what gives a better emotion on feeling the game..

I was also wondering about the custom game from beyerdynamic but being a closed headphone I don't know if it would offer a good Soundstage which in others words, I am not sure if it would he good as the mmx 300 or mainly the hd 598.

I was also wondering if it's also not a good idea buying the beyerdynamic custom one pro plus + vmoda which would be also about 200 euros but knowing for sure I would have a better solution compared to the microphone solution included with the custom game..

I don't know, it's a lot of options and by my days and days of research I always listened that the Sennheiser hd 598 is the better one in terms of positional audio in games.

What you guys think?

Jan 14, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #7 of 7
I was just thinking, maybe going with sennheiser hd 598sr + rode nt 2 USB.. It would be almost the same price of the mmx 300 but I really don't know between this 2 options which offers a better quality in terms of listening better games and mainly having a good mic. I listened that sennheiser hd 598 is awesome but they sacrifice the bass which for some is what gives a better emotion on feeling the game..

I think you need to go a different route if you want more bass. If they are MAINLY for gaming I think HD598 would be fine. The good thing if you go with a headphone is that you can always try the other mic options later. I think sound quality wise any of the mics would work well but obv a mic on a stand or arm is different to a boom mic, and one may be more comfortable than the other.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back