Sennheiser 598/558. Reliance on an AMP, iBasse P3 Heron sufficient?
Jan 21, 2015 at 10:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

riangle

New Head-Fier
Back 5-6 years ago I spent a fair bit of money getting a nice set-up. At the time I purchased a few sets of headphones. Out of everything I've spent my money on, however, I have yet to find a pair of cans that have served me as well as my old(and now in tatters) Sennheiser 595s. I'm looking for a new pair of open headphones and I see no reason to veer from the Sennheiser brand. A few questions for anyone able to help..

How do the 598s hold up without an amp? When using an amp is a P3 Heron reasonable?
Am I correct in assuming I would be better of with the 558s without a decent amp?

I'm not sure how head-fi handles sources, so forgive me if I shouldn't be asking this question:
Are there retailers that ship to canada that sell either of the headphones I mentioned at more reasonable prices than amazon.ca? The price disparity between .com and .ca is a bit much.

Thanks all for any responses

Jan 21, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #2 of 3
There's been many threads on head-fi that say that the HD558 & HD598 actually use the same drivers. It is said they differ only by a piece of tape or felt or something like that. It's on the HD558 driver, and if you remove it, you get the HD598 sound. I haven't done that myself - I'm just relaying what I have read here.

iBasso makes good amps - they have been pushed aside a bit by the new kids (primarily Fiio & Schiit), but I would have no problem continuing to use an iBasso amp. HEadphone amps have gotten cheaper, but I wouldn't say there has been any significant advances in the technology. If the P3 works for your HD595, then it will work for the HD598.

Is the HD600 also a possibility? I think that's where I would go after the HD595.

Jan 21, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #3 of 3
A piece of tape? Well shucks, that makes my choice much easier.

As much as I love to. Spending $500 on a pair of headphones isn't something I think i can let myself do. I'll certainly look into them a bit though. thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back