Sennheiser 558 vs. NC headphones like PXC450 or Bose QC15?
Apr 7, 2014 at 5:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

dstarr3

1000+ Head-Fier
This question is entirely out of curiosity, because I know the 558s are designed for a different niche than the PXC450s or Bose QC15s. But I'd like to hear what people have to say.

I just picked up a pair of 558s because the Amazon price right now is incredible ($117). Now, I don't need noise cancelling headphones, no want for the feature, but my girlfriend's brother just got the QC15s over the holidays because he does fly enough to want them, and that made me curious. Noise-cancelling aside, how do the 558s compare with headphones like those, the QC15s or PXC450s? Is there any sort of audiophile-grade attention to detail going on with the design, or are they strictly built with privacy in mind for the generally average ear?

Basically, is there a jump in actual audio quality with headphones like that, or are they just two completely different kinds of headphones?

Apr 7, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #2 of 4
Speaking strictly sound quality, the HD558's dominate. They aren't exactly comparable headphones, though. QC15's are the top of the line for traveling. The Sennheisers, on the other hand, are open, so they leak a lot, but have a much wider sound stage. 

Apr 8, 2014 at 4:14 AM Post #3 of 4
Well, there is also the PSB M4U2-2 - noise canceling and great sound. However the noise cancellation is not as powerful as with the other in your list.

cheers,
K

Apr 8, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #4 of 4
Groovy. That's about what I suspected. Thanks awfully! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back