Senn PC350 not performing as expected
May 20, 2009 at 12:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Metalcastr

New Head-Fier
Hello. I am new to these forums and appreciate being part of a new community.

I've recently purchased a Sennheiser PC350 as a gaming/music headset and it is not performing to my expectations from what I've read from review sites (not going to trust those anymore, they say everything is great and I've been burned more than once from it). It sounds kind of shrill and opaque if I were to use terms I've found here.

I was wondering if it needs a burn-in, or if it's my soundcard (SB Live! 24-bit), or needs an amp, or if that's what's to be expected from these. I am not judging Sennheiser by this product and would buy from them again due to rave reviews here.

My previous headphones which I still have are a Koss UR-40 (laugh all you want) which as of the moment sound better then the Senns. However, they also have a much smaller impedance of 60 versus the Senns's 150. I know sound sounds different to everyone, but I've been searching around these forums and found that people recommend the Astro A40 or Beyerdynamic MMX 300 over the Senns even though they are much more expensive.

Should I return the PC350 and save for the Beyers/A40s or is my current setup at fault? If you need more info let me know. I appreciate any help you guys can provide.

May 20, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #2 of 3
i have the pc350 and it does sound shrill and small. nobody will laugh at the koss ur40 btw- they use the respected ksc75 drivers.
back to the pc350. i opened mine up- the speakers are sealed up in small enclosures giving them a small sound. putting a few small holes in each enclosure opens up the sound. a lot. i have a thread showing this somewhere and several peeps have tried and like it. its a lot of faith to open up these expensive headsets i know!

also the 150 ohm impedance likes a little amplification- that sound card is kind of weak to drive them

May 20, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #3 of 3
Thank you for replying! I am now torn between modding, returning, or getting a better soundcard. I do want good sound, but I am afraid to mess up modding, as that would be a lot of money down the drain. Maybe I will get a clip-on mic for my ur-40. If anyone has some bonus insight I would appreciate it too.

I've also found the link to your mod: Modding the Sennheiser pc350

Users who are viewing this thread

Back