Senn MX880 vs Yuin PK2
Aug 20, 2010 at 3:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mrbrad

100+ Head-Fier
I have seen a couple of reviews on the MX880 and results seem mixed. One said they are so good, they are better the the PK1s. Another says they are about the same as the PK3 or PK2.

If you are using the MX880s and have also heard the PK2s, could you please give me some feedback? I am considering getting the Senns as an upgrade (and a backup also), but if they are about the same, then maybe I need to consider something else.

Thanks so much for your help.

Brad.

Aug 22, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #3 of 7
I've had the PK2 for 3 years, and the MX880 for a few months.  Both are very smooth and natural through the midrange, but that's where the similarities end.  The MX880 extends much deeper in the bass, although there can be a slight bump in the mid- and upper-bass if you insert them too deep.  The Senns are also far more extended and detailed through the treble.  They're not bright, just smooth, natural, and detailed.  The PK2 was always fairly lifeless to me in the upper 1.5 octave.

The MX880 is also more detailed and dynamic across the board.  It lets you pick out individual instruments quite easily, while the PK2  just sort of muddies everything together.

The only area where I'd give the edge to the PK2 is in the fit.  It's a little smaller than the MX880 and fits my ears perfectly.  The MX880 is just slightly bigger than ideal for me.  They're still fairly comfortable, but I have to readjust them frequently.  The PK2 stays put.

You can probably tell I'm a big fan of the MX880.  It's by far the best earbud I've heard, and it's a mile better than any of my IEMs (Shure E2C, Klipsch S4).  I'd even rank it above my Sony MDR-V6 and Grado SR60.

Sep 7, 2010 at 10:06 AM Post #5 of 7
I went ahead an purachased the MX880s. They are very good earbuds, much better than the PK2 or PK3 inho. I don't like the in-line volumn control, but at least it is light.

Sep 8, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #6 of 7
I'm with you on the volume control.  It's just too heavy; it seems like almost half the total weight of this thing is in the volume control.  I'm tempted to pick up an MX580 to see how it compares.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back