Senn HD25-1 II DIY cable
Mar 16, 2011 at 4:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Sorensiim

Headphoneus Supremus
I've got a set of Sennheiser HD25-1 II incoming and I'm thinking about recabling them. Would like a copper cable instead of the steel stock cable they come with. The easy (and pretty cheap) solution would be to just buy a HD-600 cable and plug that in, but I like the single-side cabel entry of the stock cable. This is done by having the cable for the left cup longer than the one for the right side and routing it along the headband. Since the HD-600 cable is symmetric, I would get a Y-split cable in stead of the single side entry. I'd also get a cable about 5 feet too long for my needs :)

Now I'm thinking about making a cable myself, but I'll need a place to buy the parts needed - 1/8" (maybe angled?) plug, cable and those Senn plugs. Oh and basic what-goes-where instructions as well :D

Should I go for the DIY project, keep the stock cable or just get a HD600 cable and shorten it? Might shoot an email to ZXAC as he did a *great* job on a custom cable for my AKG's when I had them, and buy my way out of worrying.

Oh and if anyone here would like to do a custom job for me (I'd pay off course!) please speak up!

Sorry for the ramblings, I'll go get coffee now.

Mar 16, 2011 at 6:11 AM Post #2 of 10

Quote:
I've got a set of Sennheiser HD25-1 II incoming and I'm thinking about recabling them. Would like a copper cable instead of the steel stock cable they come with. The easy (and pretty cheap) solution would be to just buy a HD-600 cable and plug that in, but I like the single-side cabel entry of the stock cable. This is done by having the cable for the left cup longer than the one for the right side and routing it along the headband. Since the HD-600 cable is symmetric, I would get a Y-split cable in stead of the single side entry. I'd also get a cable about 5 feet too long for my needs :)

Now I'm thinking about making a cable myself, but I'll need a place to buy the parts needed - 1/8" (maybe angled?) plug, cable and those Senn plugs. Oh and basic what-goes-where instructions as well :D

>> To get all in one I can advice to order at Redco Audio. I dont want to make any advertisments but there you can find cable and the plugs (Neutrik) with reasonable shipping costs. Last time I have ordered my Senn plugs at ebay.co.uk. I have looked for the name Cardas uses (it was sth like HDSPA??). As you are living in Denmark, you can also try other stores online maybe. Google will help you :)

Should I go for the DIY project, keep the stock cable or just get a HD600 cable and shorten it? Might shoot an email to ZXAC as he did a *great* job on a custom cable for my AKG's when I had them, and buy my way out of worrying.

Oh and if anyone here would like to do a custom job for me (I'd pay off course!) please speak up!

>> Hm..I am sure you can make it at your own :)

Sorry for the ramblings, I'll go get coffee now.

Mar 16, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #3 of 10
Thanks! 

Sorry for being the noob here, but I have to ask if I want to learn... :)

I'd need a plug like this: http://www.redco.com/shopexd.asp?id=770 and cable like this: http://www.redco.com/shopexd.asp?id=770 - as well as the senn plugs, right?

I'm totally digging the thought of building my own cable for $10 instead of paying somebody else $100 to do it. Not just for the $90 saved, but I like building things myself. I totally suck with tools, but I like using them anyway. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 16, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #4 of 10
Actually I wont go with the Switchcraft plugs because in my opinion these are too large. I also have the HD-25 and right now I am using a straight mini plug from Neutrik/Rean like this one:

http://www.redco.com/shopexd.asp?id=305

(Your cable link is wrong, I guess :) )

For this one I know that the Mogami W2893 (http://www.redco.com/shopexd.asp?id=505) will fit eventhough the Switchcraft is suitable for cables with a bigger diameter. You also have to keep in mind that the wires to the left earcup are in a "you know what I mean :)" and because of that have not to be too big..

The Senns are here to find:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CARDAS-HPSC-SENNHEISER-HEADPHONE-CONNECTOR-PAIR-/110657925434?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item19c3b9f13a

Mar 16, 2011 at 10:15 AM Post #5 of 10

Thanks!
If I get two Neutrik mini plugs, 10 feet of that Mogami cable and some shrink wrap, it totals $9. Then the Sennheiser plugs are $22.50 on their own?!?! Thats more than a brand new HD600 cable! 
basshead.gif

Edit: The store (www.thomann.de) selling the Senn cable has 1/8" plugs as well... An original Sennheiser HD650 replacement cable (w. plugs) costs €14.40 and a nice 1/8" plug comes in at €2.77, making it a total of €25,17 or $35 once you add the shipping from Germany to Denmark. Then I only have to cut the HD650 cable and solder on the 1/8" plug. Unless you'd make me a cable like your own for $35, I'm pretty sure I'll be going the "HD650 + soldering gun" route 
normal_smile .gif

Quote:
Actually I wont go with the Switchcraft plugs because in my opinion these are too large. I also have the HD-25 and right now I am using a straight mini plug from Neutrik/Rean like this one:

http://www.redco.com/shopexd.asp?id=305

(Your cable link is wrong, I guess :) )

For this one I know that the Mogami W2893 (http://www.redco.com/shopexd.asp?id=505) will fit eventhough the Switchcraft is suitable for cables with a bigger diameter. You also have to keep in mind that the wires to the left earcup are in a "you know what I mean :)" and because of that have not to be too big..

The Senns are here to find:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CARDAS-HPSC-SENNHEISER-HEADPHONE-CONNECTOR-PAIR-/110657925434?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item19c3b9f13a

Mar 16, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
Thanks!
If I get two Neutrik mini plugs, 10 feet of that Mogami cable and some shrink wrap, it totals $9. Then the Sennheiser plugs are $22.50 on their own?!?! Thats more than a brand new HD600 cable! 
basshead.gif

You have two possibilities:

HD600 cable or DIY to live your dreams :) :).

The Senn plugs are the most expensive position of course and with the HD600 cable you have the disadvantage that the two wires after the split have the same length. Another possibility would be that you turn the earcups by 180° and then you can use the HD600 cable and just short it to your desired length :)

Mar 16, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
Edit: The store (www.thomann.de) selling the Senn cable has 1/8" plugs as well... An original Sennheiser HD650 replacement cable (w. plugs) costs €14.40 and a nice 1/8" plug comes in at €2.77, making it a total of €25,17 or $35 once you add the shipping from Germany to Denmark. Then I only have to cut the HD650 cable and solder on the 1/8" plug. Unless you'd make me a cable like your own for $35, I'm pretty sure I'll be going the "HD650 + soldering gun" route 
normal_smile%20.gif

Okee I have to calculate because maybe me too I will order sth at Redco.. :) I will PM you..

Mar 18, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
I could do that for you (pretty decent at recabling), but I'm all the way here in Canada...

Very nice of you to offer that, but the very kind Mr. Monoethylene is already busy ordering parts and whatnot - I just forgot to update the post 
redface.gif

I wonder if theres a way to buy or build a black usb cable with silver plugs; like this one but black/silver instead of blue/gold... Can't seem to find one anywhere :frowning2:

Sep 10, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #10 of 10
Hi everyone,

I'm new around here (Head-fi and sennheiser hd-25-ii-1 family). I recently bought a beatiful pair on senn's hd 25-ii-1 to an Head-fier and now I'm looking to upgrade my cable to a more quality cable, copper instead of steel  (of course :)). 
I've also bought to an head-fier a DIY Mogami for hd 600 for a really decent price but I must say that I prefer the way the hd 25 cable is (the single-side cable entry)...

I'm not particularly talented on doing a DIY cable myself and I've no tools at all --> So here I am, wanting to know if a kind head-fier could do this job for me for a reasonable price ? 

Oh! And I forgot to say that I live in Canada.

Thanks in advance for your time and disponibility!

Have a great day!

Benoit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back