Senn. HD 600 vs. AKG K702 (Quick Overview)
May 29, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #17 of 37
This is another thread that supports my beliefs that the HD580/600 are the best all-arounders.

May 29, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #18 of 37
I found the same thing most people have posted here regarding natural, balanced sound from the HD600 and the soundstage differences.  The K701/2 has a bigger soundstage, but the HD600 has a more 3D soundstage.  What I mean is that the K701/2 throws EVERYTHING far away, it's a distant wall of sound.  The HD600 can't put anything that far away, but there is more variation in distance.  I could see preferring either one, but I prefer 3D. 

lol @ the comments about Eddie Vedder's uke sounding like a plastic toy with the K702.  Haha, I agree, and I can't wait for the fanboys to load their shotguns
biggrin.gif

May 29, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #19 of 37

Quote:
I agree with some of the descriptions of the K702, especially tdockweiler's opinion.  I found the K702 to put instruments too far apart.  It was almost unrealistic sounding at times.  The HD600 just sounds more natural.  It is much more "musical".  The only time I did prefer the K702 maybe equal, or slightly over the HD600 was in a couple instrumental songs that consisted of more instruments than the average song contains.  The spaciousness and detail made for an interesting experience.  I did find the bass in a couple songs to hit very low with the K702, then with other songs it just wasn't there.  Directly going from the K702 to the HD600, it was night and day difference in favor of the HD600, with all rock,metal, pop, techno.  The HD600 not only has more bass quantity, but a much more concentrated and involving sound, which allows you to really get into the music.  The K702 is just too far detached.  Things can sound "thin", even though it was properly amped.  I would not say the K702 presents more detail than the HD600, it just presents the detail in a slightly different way.  I found the K702 highs to be more fatiguing than the HD600.   

At first I thought I'd prefer all classical on the K702, but directly comparing I found the HD600 to actually sound more realistic.  IMO, piano and violins sounds are more realistic on the HD600 vs the K702.  I prefer the HD600 for basically all classical. 

After adjusting the headband on the HD600, I found it to be extremely comfortable, more so than the K702.  The K702s seems to be too loose at times, and I'm not a huge fan of the automatic headband adjustment system.  Over time, I have a feeling the stretch adjustment cords on the K702 will lose some of their strength and the headphones become looser. 

One thing I'd like to mention, is that I experienced no sort of "veil" with the HD600.  I actually found them to be slightly more forward than the K702 for vocal, and of course everything else sounds more forward and involving on the HD600 due to not having the characteristics the K702 has.  The HD600 just sounds amazing overall, such a great all-around headphone.  It's great when you find the sound you are looking for.  I was a fan of the HD555/595 before and enjoyed their sound; they are good in their respectable price range, but overall can not touch the HD600s.  It seems the HD600 has all I need, for now.. lol.

BTW all. . .Tigerhawk is my friend I speak of in the original post. . .they are his headphones. . .minus the HD 555's.  He is also the one that had the very bad issues with the cracks in his old 555's.  Mine were simply there so I could directly compare from where I am now with those. . .to the next step up.  Also, just wanted to try them out amped. . .and they were horrible on that amp, absolutely horrible.

May 29, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #20 of 37

Quote:
The K701/2 has a bigger soundstage, but the HD600 has a more 3D soundstage

I find the same thing on with my HD650. Providing the track is recorded properly, the sounds actually comes from different direction around your head but it's more subtle than the K601 (I guess the K701/2 would make it even more obvious)

May 29, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #21 of 37
In general, out of the audio-gd c2c I prefer the k701. But with a dynalo/ha-006 it's very close with the hd600 slightly ahead. Haven't had the time to do comparisons with the M3 amp yet and the whole thing with opamp rolling gives me a headache.

I wish the k701's were as comfortable as the hd600.
I wish the hd600 had a larger soundstage and more a bit more clarity and "treble energy".

When both are in a good setup, I feel the hd600 is a better all-rounder but there's lots of classical and acoustic music that imho the k701 do better.

May 29, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #22 of 37

Quote:
The HD600 is colored and has the highs rolled off with bloated bass with a hazy sound.

Are you sure you're not accidentally thinking of the HD-650? Based on what i've heard from other people, some seem to use this description for the HD-650. I only heard the HD-650 a few years back, so I can't really remember them well. The HD-600 definitely doesn't have any sort of bloated bass to my ears. It's just about perfect.

May 29, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #23 of 37

Quote:
Are you sure you're not accidentally thinking of the HD-650? Based on what i've heard from other people, some seem to use this description for the HD-650. I only heard the HD-650 a few years back, so I can't really remember them well. The HD-600 definitely doesn't have any sort of bloated bass to my ears. It's just about perfect.

100% Agreed. . .bass is no where near bloated at all on the 600's. . .can't speak for the 650's though, never heard them.

May 30, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #26 of 37
My impressions of the HD580 were the same as DefectiveAudioComponent's. Not-so-Great bass and horrible headstate.... sounds like a tunnel. Closed on all sides with the music sounding very far away in front of you.

Someone was saying the HD600 is more 3D than the K701... that's madness IMO, but if that's how you heard it that's that. 

Some people were saying the HD600 is more 3D than the K701... that's madness IMO, but if that's how you heard it that's that.

None of these headphones have bloated bass. The HD650 has nice warm and weighty bass, but far from bloated. You want bloated, try a closed can like the K81 DJ or the Bose Triport OE.

Quote:
Nice impressions!
What finally got me away from the HD580 was the terrible headstage and the weak-but-not-quite-great bass. Some classical songs sounded terrific on it though.

My impressions of the HD580 were the same as DefectiveAudioComponent's. Not-so-Great bass and horrible headstate.... sounds like a tunnel. Closed on all sides with the music sounding very far away in front of you.

Someone was saying the HD600 is more 3D than the K701... that's madness IMO, but if that's how you heard it that's that. 

Someone was saying the HD600 is more 3D than the K701... that's madness IMO, but if that's how you heard it that's that.My impressions of the HD580 were the same as DefectiveAudioComponent's. Not-so-Great bass and horrible headstate.... sounds like a tunnel. Closed on all sides with the music sounding very far away in front of you.

May 30, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #27 of 37
Jul 10, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #29 of 37
Agreed.

Quote:
I found the same thing most people have posted here regarding natural, balanced sound from the HD600 and the soundstage differences.  The K701/2 has a bigger soundstage, but the HD600 has a more 3D soundstage.  What I mean is that the K701/2 throws EVERYTHING far away, it's a distant wall of sound.  The HD600 can't put anything that far away, but there is more variation in distance.  I could see preferring either one, but I prefer 3D. 

lol @ the comments about Eddie Vedder's uke sounding like a plastic toy with the K702.  Haha, I agree, and I can't wait for the fanboys to load their shotguns
biggrin.gif

Jul 10, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #30 of 37
A very good comparison IMHO. Not sure if I agree, but isn't this all subjective anyways?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back