Senn 600's Recabled with Mogami Neglex (pics)
Apr 19, 2005 at 12:48 AM Post #61 of 64
Well, if you made a silicone mold, could you pull the plug out of it after casting? I would think that as flexible as silicone is, you should be able to do that. Completely covering the plug in silicone in a small container should work, I think. I've got some here, I'll see what I can do tonight.

Apr 20, 2005 at 2:43 AM Post #62 of 64
Silicone didn't work too well, so I got to thinking............

And used hot glue for the mold. REAL easy to do, I made a perfect mold in less than 10 minutes. First, I oiled up the plug ( I used some Paslode lubricating oil I had handy.....lol) and then spooged a large glop of hot glue onto a baggie. Wait about a minute, and then press the plug into the glue, but don't go over halfway, as this will screw up the mold when you pull out the plug. Stick the whole deal in the freezer for a few minutes, then remove and coat entire surface of glue and pin with oil again. Make sure it's over the entire surface. Re-insert your plug into its mold, and again cover with hot glue. Stick in freezer again, wait a few minutes, and voila! I used a razor blade to pry the top layer of glue off, removed the plug, and there's my mold. I'll fire up the iron tomorrow and solder a few pins to wire, and try to make a plug. Not sure if I'll use clear epoxy or JB Weld, depends on what I've got at hand........

Apr 20, 2005 at 3:39 AM Post #64 of 64
Oh, one thing I just thought of (too late of course) it may be a good idea to use some sort of "guide pins" when making a mold like this. Perhaps a few pieces of toothpick set in the bottom layer of glue, then oiled up and glued over when making the top layer. Would probably help with the re-alignment of the layers when making plugs.......
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back