Sending back my Etys
May 8, 2002 at 10:34 PM Post #16 of 25
Also make sure that they are at a 45 degree angle into your ears.. not sure if that's the case with the ER4s but with the ER6 it makes a pretty big difference than sticking them straight in. It's all about positioning with the ER6s, although when i tried the ER4s they seemed so big that it would be hard to position them in any way other than just squeezing them in.

May 8, 2002 at 10:36 PM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

The ER4p sounds so sweet in my Ipod!!! I can't live with out them. By the way, I was wondering if anyone listen to headphones while driving?? Sounds crazy but i tried it today and it was fun.

I'm pretty sure that is illegal everywhere, and if it isn't, it should be. You need to be able to hear sirens, trains, other cars, etc. In Washington, you are allowed to have headphones over one ear, but having both covered is illegal.

May 8, 2002 at 11:53 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by radrd

I'm pretty sure that is illegal everywhere, and if it isn't, it should be. You need to be able to hear sirens, trains, other cars, etc. In Washington, you are allowed to have headphones over one ear, but having both covered is illegal.

How are things at my alma mater?

I went back a few years ago and all the profs I liked are gone. I guess time does that.

May 9, 2002 at 12:03 AM Post #19 of 25
Take a deep breath. Slowly, slowly, put down the packing materials...step back...take another deep breath...and listen again. Alot of people describe your reaction when they first get etymotics. They take some getting used to, to say the least (for most people, anyway).

Here's a post from November 2001:

If you search the forums, you will find a tremendous amount of discussion on two topics raised here: (1) how long does it take to get a good fit with the etys, and (2) how long does it take for them to sound good. Various incantations of these discussions are spread throughout both this site and headwize.

(1) How long does it take for a good fit? This tends to vary by people's reports from immediately (rare) to about a month (rare) with most people getting good at inserting them correctly after about a week or two. Too deep or too shallow and they sound very thin and bright. Too deep with the rubber tips and people complain of increased pressure in the ear. It takes a while to get it just right. If you can't get used to the insertion or feel, custom molds are available for them.

(2) How long does it take for them to sound good? This is more complex. Short answer: it varies. Long answer: this, I believe, is a combination of a few factors. The fit determines how good they sound to a large degree. But equally important, I found that my ears and brain needed to be retrained to attend to the subtlety of these headphones. Listening over a few weeks, even after I got the fit right, lead to an "Aha" experience, where I suddenly heard what everyone had been talking about. I think that this is a function of brain-training more than ear training. Peoples ears are used to hearing using the pinna (the cauliflower-like swirls outside your ear canal) to shape the sound they hear. Since etys insert into your ear canal, they bypass the pinna, and this requires some getting used to. Furthermore, with extended listening (multiple listenings, not wearing them for a week straight), the brain slowly begins to change in its interpretation of the ety's sound. At first, it tries to understand the sound like all your other phones, and often leads to initial feelings of disappointment, especially because other headphones convey a percentage of their sound through the mastoid process (that boney protrusion behind your ear). If you tap it, you will see how much sound it conveys to the ear, compared to say, tapping your skull on the top. Etys do not rely on this bone to convey any sound. Hence, the brain has to be trained to hear bass, for example, without the visceral experience of bass. This type of relearning, i think, is what leads to the AHA experience.

My etys, when I first bought them, were a disappointment. I figured out how to get them into my ears correctly after about a week, but I still thought that they were only "good" phones, no better than my 580s, and clearly not worth $300, but then, one day, wow, enough LTP (long term potentiation--a term used to described brain re-training) had occurred, and I experienced them in a whole new way. Since then, they have clearly become my standard headphone. I use them (4p, by the way) for all portable uses, and with a conversion cable to 4s for amped use. I'd recommend giving them some time before deciding that they are not for you.

You can read this thread here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...brain+training

Most people argue for three weeks to a month as a reasonable time frame for getting used to etys.

Best of luck in finding "that sound" that so many rave about here.

May 9, 2002 at 12:53 AM Post #20 of 25
I have a pair of B&W CDM1s and I love those speakers. After getting an ipod I needed some decent portable phones. I found this place and was led to the Etys. They definately take some getting used to. But I find them equally as gratifying and amazing as my B&Ws. After having my Etys for about 3 months, I find these things truly sweet. I frequently have days when I listen to them and I am just blown away at how much they connect me to the music.

If I could get a pair of Etys surgically implanted into my ears with a port out of my waist, I wouldn't have to think twice.

May 9, 2002 at 2:47 AM Post #21 of 25
I disagree with this whole "it takes time" ********. Frankly anyone who really didn't like their Etymotics within the first 30 days would probably have gotten a refund from Headroom. And if you didn't, you didn't pass the IQ test.

I liked the Etymotic the first time I listened to Headwired's pair of ER-4S at Flumpus' house. From the first minute.

As to a good seal, the guy says he's had earplugs for years so I have no real reason to question this. While it may not be easy for everyone to get a good seal, it's not too diifficult to determine when you don't have one.

However popular the Etymotic is in this forum, there are going to be people in the world who don't like with them. Deal with it, people.

My only point of concern is that the "best source" was said to be the Discman, which makes me wonder what the other sources are. I don't question at all what you're hearing or that you don't like what you're hearing and I think that's a silly thing to argue about. What I will suppose though is that the Etymotic is more transparent than your stock headphones and they may be revealing to you some flaws in your source components that you might not have noticed before. *shrug* But then again, you might just not like them. It happens.

May 9, 2002 at 6:40 PM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
I disagree with this whole "it takes time" ********. Frankly anyone who really didn't like their Etymotics within the first 30 days would probably have gotten a refund from Headroom. And if you didn't, you didn't pass the IQ test.

However popular the Etymotic is in this forum, there are going to be people in the world who don't like with them. Deal with it, people.

Kelly,

I'm afraid I disagree with you that the idea that something like this might take time is "********." I have the idea that there are many things that might take more than 30 days to become good at, and I don't think that I would hold anyone who was willing to try something for more than 30 days in such contempt. Certainly, it is not clear to me that they would fail "the IQ test" (which, incidently, you cannot fail...it's not that type of test...but you knew that already, being a student of psychology as listed in your profile).

Brain training is a phenomenon that, as someone in the field of brain research for the last 15 years, I feel somewhat qualified to talk about. I might be wrong about the ideas of long term potentiation, synaptic plasticity, dedritic sprouting in response to repetitions of stimuli, and so on, but the evidence in the scientific literature tends to suggest otherwise. Not to mention that the scientific community gave the noble prize last year to Eric Kandel for his pioneering work in the field of long term potentiation. But, you are correct, we might all be deluded.

As for dealing with people who do not like etymotics, I think I might be able to sleep at night knowing that there are people who don't like them. I was only offering my opinion because he had asked for advice. I would consider his posting here a request for other people's views on the matter. But perhaps I am mistaken yet again.

I'll tell you what. I'll work on dealing with all of these crazy ideas I have if you agree to work on not attacking any post that contains opinions other than your own.

May 9, 2002 at 8:41 PM Post #24 of 25
it took me time.
i did not plug them in and find that it all happened straight away.
it took me time
and at the end of that time i was very happy and impressed.
with that in mind there must be people that havent got it right and failed to take enough time

the fact that these type of discussions take place shows that these headphones are a very different hi fi item.

i have no problem with people who try and end up not liking and im sure there are plenty of those as well.

May 9, 2002 at 10:48 PM Post #25 of 25
I didn't like the 6's, I sent them back. I got the 4P's and wasn't sure. I tried the foamies and they ar now my favorites. They rival/surpass by HD600's w/Cardas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back