Selling/Buying Ethics & Fellow Head-Fier's
Jun 29, 2002 at 10:05 PM Post #31 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by jpelg
=an implied set of morays

I bought an implied set of morays from a guy (he implied that they were morays), but it turns out they were just regular eels! *******!

Jun 29, 2002 at 10:14 PM Post #32 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly

I don't think setting expectations on others generates good karma, at least not in a traditional Budhist sense. Maybe a Monk can chime in here. Nezer?

The best karma can be generated by freeing yourself from the need from more possessions. Which goes back to my original point, and is a point I attempt to make frequently here. When anyone asks how they think they should spend XXX dollars, I usually say pay off a bill or put it in the bank, especially if they have a headphone setup already. And if you don't have the money to pay FMV for an item, then you are generating bad karma for yourself by attempting to convince someone that you "need" it at a lower price. No one "needs" new headphones, you only want them. Desire is the root of all suffering.

om_2.jpg
Click here for good karma.

Jun 29, 2002 at 10:38 PM Post #33 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by Jeff Guidry
Desire is the root of all suffering.

"It is not the flesh that summons us, but desire." - Pinhead

Jun 30, 2002 at 12:26 AM Post #34 of 51
Quote:

I bought an implied set of morays from a guy (he implied that they were morays), but it turns out they were just regular eels! *******!

ROFL!

Quote:

The best karma can be generated by freeing yourself from the need from more possessions.

Actually, I may have to take issue with this. Far from an expert am I, but I think that freeing yourself from the need for more possessions allows you, in varying degrees, freedom from karma -- good or bad -- altogether. Your actions will still have results, but you will no longer be an emotional slave to those results.

Jun 30, 2002 at 12:44 AM Post #35 of 51
In the most specific sense, you are correct. Giving up possessions BY ITSELF does not generate karma good or bad, but once you have released yourself from the cycle of suffering, you can act purely and unselfishly, and thereby generate good karma at an alarming rate!

Jun 30, 2002 at 12:50 AM Post #36 of 51
I like to do a bunch of good deeds to bank the karma, then cash out later by doing something truly evil. I wonder if this act in itself is detrimental? If so, it's a bit like an interest rate so I can't complain I guess.

Jun 30, 2002 at 1:23 AM Post #37 of 51
Quote:

you have released yourself from the cycle of suffering, you can act purely and unselfishly, and thereby generate good karma at an alarming rate!

Makes sense
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by Kelly

I like to do a bunch of good deeds to bank the karma, then cash out later by doing something truly evil.

I think you get the benefits of the good deeds, and then suffer the results of the bad. They don't necessarily (perhaps ever) cancel each other out. Does that sound like a deal to you?
wink.gif

Jun 30, 2002 at 2:46 AM Post #38 of 51
Well, if it doesn't cancel out, it could be worse.

A truly evil deed may have ill effects that are in no way affected by past good deeds.
eek.gif

Your good deeds were useless. FOOL!

Jun 30, 2002 at 2:52 AM Post #39 of 51
So wait.. you're saying it's better to run into karma debt by doing the evil deeds first and redemption deeds later? No, that's Christian. Crap. No easy answers here.

Dec 2, 2002 at 9:33 PM Post #41 of 51
Kind of sucks to see this kind of thing happen with an item that a lot of people tried to buy, but there was only one lucky buyer, and he sells the item for a considerable markup (from the price that the other people were trying to get) shortly afterwards.

Dec 2, 2002 at 10:11 PM Post #42 of 51
Kelly, there's no easy pop-karma truths.

Good deeds shall result in good things happening to you.

Bad deeds shall result in bad things happening to you.

Personally, everything which i've sold i've done it for a reasonable price. For DIY work, i can understand someone asking for a small profit, but short of that, selling should always be a loosing exchange, with the execption of rare situations, like jude described, with someone getting extremely lucky, and then selling them for a fair, below market price.

Just my .02

Dec 2, 2002 at 10:20 PM Post #43 of 51
And what's market price? Market price is whatever price the market will bear -- yes, that's saying a spade's a spade, but it seems like it needs to be said again! If the price the unit is being sold for is too high, then don't buy the goods.

Dec 2, 2002 at 10:54 PM Post #44 of 51
Dan, everyone pretty much knows what market price is, if not, check audiogon. Really, i give head-fi enough credit to figure it out

Dec 2, 2002 at 11:13 PM Post #45 of 51
Hey, I'm a starving student! Well not quite starving, but I might go down to McDonalds in a few minutes.
biggrin.gif

What impresses me here, is the trust that everyone shares, wiring hundreds, and sometimes thousands of dollars to people all across the world, trusting that the goods will be shipped as claimed. Not many other forums can claim to be like this. I have no inhibitions anymore sending money to fellow Head-Fi'ers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back