Sell Beats, (yes Beats) and buy HiFiMan RE-262?
Sep 26, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #16 of 52
Quote:

They certainly hit you as the under-performing kind of headphone. If it sounds as good as it looks, they certainly have a winner there. But despite that, they failed in my views. Too expensive for nothing. The RE262 should also be considerably "better" than your friends M50. 

Then I am definitely considering them. The problem is selling these Beats...

Sep 26, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #17 of 52
About to plump out for the 262 myself (waiting on amp3 in the uk to get them in stock as i cant find them anywhere!)  Will be using them with the studio V 3rd which should have enough juice to drive them without an amp but I did have a shot last week with the ipod/lod/e11 and the were really engaging lush sound.

Sep 26, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #18 of 52
Quote:
Then I am definitely considering them. The problem is selling these Beats...

Craigslist? Good luck hahaa
Quote:
About to plump out for the 262 myself (waiting on amp3 in the uk to get them in stock as i cant find them anywhere!)  Will be using them with the studio V 3rd which should have enough juice to drive them without an amp but I did have a shot last week with the ipod/lod/e11 and the were really engaging lush sound.

I recommend the HM-602 HIGHLY with the RE262. The RE262 and HM-602 work REALLY well together, also similar story with other Hifiman products working together.

Sep 26, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #19 of 52
Quote:

Craigslist? Good luck hahaa

I recommend the HM-602 HIGHLY with the RE262. The RE262 and HM-602 work REALLY well together, also similar story with other Hifiman products working together.

Yeh I had the hm601 a while back but didnt really like it, I already have the studio V 3rd it has a spicy treble and good bass so im thinking pairing it with the 262 could be perfect.

Sep 26, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #21 of 52
If you do get the RE262's make sure you experiment with different tips. The stock tips that came with them are horrible uncomfortable and have caused some people from this forum to switch for different iems cuz of that...I like mine with sony hybrids.

Sep 27, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #23 of 52
Sep 27, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #24 of 52
Quote:
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-EPEX10A-BLK-Replacement-Earbuds/dp/B001RB24UA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348785110&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+hybrids

I heard the auvio tips are pretty good as well, you get those at radio shack. They are $15 a pack. They have a bigger bore opening than the hybrids so you should be able to get better treble response. the hybrids i use make the RE262 even more smooth by lessening the treble i think .

Thank you. I will look into these if I get a hold of these IEMs.

Sep 27, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #25 of 52
I just got my RE-262's today and my amp. Here's initial impressions....

- Packaging is AWESOME. Very nice little fake leather covered hard case with a latch and plenty of room inside to store all your tips. Not portable however. It's a big box. I'd rather have had a small hard case that would fit in my pocket. I'll be looking at some transportable protection.

- Right out of the box there is an issue with my earphones. I'll probably start a thread, but basically, there seems to be an issue with the right side earphone or the plug, not sure which. Issue resolved, see below. 

- Played directly out of my iPhone4, sounds good though a bit thin. Bass is ok, highs are there, mids a little recessed. I know they need amped, so I didn't really make judgement.

- Amp is a JDS Labs cMoyBB v2.03. It's new as well, came in the mail today a long with my earphones and LOD. Great timing since I ordered each item from a different place.

- Plugged into the amp...they sound great. Even with bass boost, they are a little thin in that area. I am going to grab an EQ app for my phone to help with that. Highs are crisp and clear...for some possibly a little bright. But I am a HUGE Grado SR325 fan so it's a good thing for me. I can't remember if it was for these earphones, but I think there's an easy "mod" that can help with that.

- Mids/vocals, pretty up front and in your face and they sound natural and just excellent.

- Soundstage, not really getting a whole lot of that yet. I've only had them amped for about 30 minutes and I haven't tried any tracks that I know will show what soundstage there is.

Of course, these are initial impressions. I've got an hour with these so far, most unamped. Keep in mind too that most reports say the RE-262's need 50+ hours before they start sounding really nice. If they improve from where they are now, they are going to be an excellent pair of IEM's. The amp is the same way...it's not showing its full potential yet as it needs 50-75+ burn in. 

So in short, if you are like me and vocals/mids > bass...these will be a great choice other than possible build quality issues.

Oh, and the comment about the included tips not being so great, possibly even a deterent for these IEM's...I am finding out that comment is not far off the mark. It comes with large and medium two flange silicon tips (white ones) and small, medium, and large single flange rubber tips (black ones) and so far, none fit that great. I am new to IEMs, these are my first pair so it could also be me, but it takes a little effort to get them seated well and sealed off and they don't seem to like to stay in place very well.

One other complaint...not sure if all IEM's are like this, but the cable is VERY short. It comes with three extensions, but I'd rather not plug addition sections between my source and earphones. The cables as are, you can't plug them into your DAP and stick that in your pocket while listening to music. The cables need at least 12 more inches (that's what she said), 18" would be even better. Possible recable candidate? Issue resolved. See below.

Sep 27, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #27 of 52
Quote:

- Right out of the box there is an issue with my earphones. I'll probably start a thread, but basically, there seems to be an issue with the right side earphone or the plug, not sure which.

Im not 100% on this but are you using the wrong adaptor?  Using the ones meant for the balanced amps have 4 way to reduce crossover, this wont work with stereo amps (cmoy and iphone) and will result in the right earphone not working properly.  I believe this is also the case when not using an adaptor at all, there should be 4 in the box find the right one.

Sep 27, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #29 of 52
Quote:
Im not 100% on this but are you using the wrong adaptor?  Using the ones meant for the balanced amps have 4 way to reduce crossover, this wont work with stereo amps (cmoy and iphone) and will result in the right earphone not working properly.  I believe this is also the case when not using an adaptor at all, there should be 4 in the box find the right one.

hmmm...well....I did not realize those were adapters. I thought they were extensions. Guess it would have helped if there was any literature included with IEM's. Now I feel like a dummy...lol

Sep 27, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #30 of 52
lol dont worry I probably would have done the same thing if I hadnt read that review.  Let me know if it works, but im pretty sure that will fix it.

Then sit back listen and enjoy.  Im still waiting to see if amp3 get them in on monday to the uk so I dont have to pay import taxes direct from hifiman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back