Seeking help choosing headphones that match well with my DAC/AMP.
Jun 30, 2010 at 8:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

WHOAguitarninja

New Head-Fier
Hi Head-Fi, I've been googling for days and think I have some idea of the answers to my questions...but wanted to consult the sonically sagacious folk here before dropping my hard earned money.

My main amp is a Zero DAC 09 version running via USB.  I also have an Astro A40 mixamp, but I don't expect to use that to drive any of the headphones I'm considering.  I mention it for completeness.

I currently own a pair of Denon A-HD2000's as well as Grado SR-125's.  I'm not planning to get rid of the Denons any time soon, so i'm not looking to 'replace' them as i really love them a lot.  I also don't plan to buy a new DAC or Amp, so i'd appreciate any recommendations and advice to consider those as the amps driving them.

I've been looking at three headphones in particular.  The AKG K702, and the Sennheiser HD600 and 650's.  

My first concern is if the Zero DAC is sufficient to drive them all.  I'm sure it's not as good as the amps talked about here that are several hundred dollars, but if it's not enough to drive any/all of the headphones properly, that's something very important for me to consider.

Now, my real questions are the following.

1.I understand the 650 has a sound that is not wholly different than the Denon.  Given that i'm using the Zero, would the difference between the two be too small for it to be worth choosing?  

2.The AKG and 600 are, as I understand at least, substantially more 'clinical' in their approach.  That in and of itself may be a good thing for me, as I enjoy detail, very crisp(but not overly sibilant) highs, and very good vocal reproduction every bit as much as a solid bass.  On the topic of bass, gargantuan quantities of bass such as the Denon provide are neat, but not necessary.  If I can hear the thumb and tell the lower frequencies are there to the point where i can get the musicality i need from it to round out the sound, that is plenty.

I suppose I should mention what i listen to, as well.  I listen to metal, progressive metal, progressive rock, and trance, mostly.  My 'critical' listening when i really care most about sound quality comes down to Trance, and Porcupine Tree...for the most part.  The song ".3" by Porcupine Tree is one of my go-to moments in music for evaluating how much I enjoy a headphone, particularly the wah guitar at the end.  The ability of a headphone to maintain the resonance of the guitar's sound while retaining the vocal qualities in the way the wah is used is critical.

I also write and mix and master my own music (mostly progressive metal), so the headphones will likely be used in that process as well, though that will not be their main purpose.

Thanks very much in advance for taking the time to read and respond to me.

PS.  If there are any other strong contenders you feel i should really consider that are at/under the 350 dollar price point, feel free to recommend them.  I would like to try and avoid having too many options though, as that will likely just confuse me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back