Seeking headphones with fullbodied midrange and authorative sub bass
Jan 4, 2011 at 9:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

edvardd

100+ Head-Fier
I am seeking a headphone with a weighty  low end and a wide sound stage. Im willing make a comprimise on transparancy, but Im hoping a wider soundstage will help on the instrument separation and detail. The headphones would shine with male vocals and bass guitar. With many headphones male vocals sound kind of castrated when the sub bass isnt there. I've learnt that high quality bass texture is quite hard to find.

Im thinking of getting an amp BUT they should not be too hard to drive. in the sense that they should sound relatively good out of a strong DAP like HM601/FLO2.

Ive been looking at the Denon cans 2-7000, but I dont know if the midrange would satisfy me. I've also been considering the Audio Technica headphones.

At the moment I have a S:FLO2 DAP which is quite transparant and cold, so I would prefer a headphone with some warmth.

I welcome suggstions of both open and closed cans, but my limit is 700 $

Jan 4, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #6 of 19
There are a few others worth considering.  The DT150 has genuinely authoritative bass, coupled with an unusually wide soundstage for a pair of closed headphones.  You wouldn't have to sacrifice that clarity, either.

Jan 4, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #8 of 19
The Denons might not fulfill your midrange wish, I found them a little too recessed for my liking. The RS1i doesn't have the best soundstage, but they have very accurate imaging. Also try the Sennheisers (Hd600/650), they have the qualities of full bodied mid range and good bass.

Jan 5, 2011 at 5:19 AM Post #10 of 19
might be true, but I head W1000X was quite good in the bass department. ah, I didnt think of that, thanks!

"you are not your ****ing headphones", thats a great qoute :) from fight club right?

Jan 5, 2011 at 5:21 AM Post #11 of 19
Ive tried HD650 before and I really like it. it doesnt do sub bass that well though from what Ive heard.

Quote:
The Denons might not fulfill your midrange wish, I found them a little too recessed for my liking. The RS1i doesn't have the best soundstage, but they have very accurate imaging. Also try the Sennheisers (Hd600/650), they have the qualities of full bodied mid range and good bass.

Jan 5, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #12 of 19

The W1000X strong points are the mids and bass... similar to the LCD-2 but not as good.  The W1000X sometimes exhibits bright treble which is the area which I like the LCD-2 much better because it has a smoother treble but without sacrificing the detail.

Jan 5, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #13 of 19
You simply cannot get proper sub-bass experience from headphones.

Some of us run an open headphone and a subwoofer at the same time. It's quite good once you've adjust your subwoofer's positioning and volume.

Jan 5, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #14 of 19

thanks for pointing it out. its kinda obvious I seek something that doesn't exist within the headphone world. My Radium DDM IEMS do low bass but I don't feel it in my body.
.Quote:
You simply cannot get proper sub-bass experience from headphones.

Some of us run an open headphone and a subwoofer at the same time. It's quite good once you've adjust your subwoofer's positioning and volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back