Seattle/Portland" Meet in the Middle" 27 Feb 2010 - Impressions
Feb 28, 2010 at 4:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 125

Seamaster

Headphoneus Supremus
Thanks Gil to make things happen again. Thanks for all the guys that came today.

Ok guys it is the time to hand-in your homeworks and pictures.
icon10.gif

Feb 28, 2010 at 5:34 AM Post #2 of 125
Yes, a big thanks to Gil for arranging this meet and Andrew for the Pizza. Pictures are uploading
wink.gif
... uploaded

EDIT:

SeaPortMeet005.jpg

It was great to finally meet the Seattle crew and to get to hear the latest top end headphones from Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic.

I did like the T1 , they were freshly unpacked and initial listen gave the impression of a rolled off top end but it turned out to be the unfamiliar disc and when seamaster popped in some great instrumental music later in the day, the T1 shone. I am however, unashamedly, an orthohead through anf through. Speaking of orthoheads - another HFier popped out of the woodwork and it turned out that he snagged the aniversary T20V1's recently and has a neat collection of planars which include the Sansui SS100, the Toshiba electret and a yamaha YH2. "Nice ta meetcha"
wink.gif
as they might say.
The orhto family
SeaPortMeet032.jpg

While on the planar subject, the Stax 404LE and the Exstata were an absolute hit, it was the first time I heard the full range from these particluar stats. Just glorious and I may actually need to reconsider my take on not owning a stat rig. The exstata was being driven by my yamaha DVD/SACD and my highly modded transdac.

SeaPortMeet010.jpg

I took the recently completed EHHA II and for those who braved to listen to it, only had good things to say.

SeaPortMeet011.jpg

The Cavalli representation was strong.
smily_headphones1.gif
, Exstata, Stacker II, EHHA I & II, CKKIII .... a couple missing this time but what a blast.

SeaPortMeet012.jpg

SeaPortMeet013.jpg

Other amps that I enjoyed, Seamasters modded Woo as well as Jopagi's stock Woo - both great amps. Listened to quite a few others and I can honestly say that there was not a shabby amp to be found amongst all. Finally got to hear the LIsa III too and it deserves all the hype. I also got to hear the ATH electrets driven by that beastly mosfet amp, really enjoyable and amazing that something that old can truly hold its own in todays market.

SeaPortMeet023.jpg

SeaPortMeet015.jpg

SeaPortMeet019.jpg

A final thanks to Saachi who drove myself and Devwild up from Portland.

SeaPortMeet028.jpg

a few more random pics to follow..dB

Andrew and his iem table with the ALO Rx amps - his latest prototype is really sounding good.

SeaPortMeet004.jpg

SeaPortMeet026.jpg

SeaPortMeet006.jpg

SeaPortMeet014.jpg

SeaPortMeet018.jpg

SeaPortMeet017.jpg

SeaPortMeet016.jpg

SeaPortMeet021.jpg

SeaPortMeet020.jpg

SeaPortMeet031.jpg

SeaPortMeet030.jpg

Feb 28, 2010 at 5:59 AM Post #4 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBel84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, a big thanks to Gil for arranging this meet and Andrew for the Pizza. Pictures are uploading
wink.gif
..dB

Yes thanks Andrew for the pizza, that was a life saver.

@Gil, how do you like the beer I picked up for you. I love it myself.

@Dr. Strangelove, I did pick up Thomas Kemper for you. since you are no show, I gave them to everyone else.

T1 was a showing off. Everyone listened had big smile on their face.

Who had the WA6SE today? Is the amp maxed out? Thanks

Feb 28, 2010 at 6:14 AM Post #5 of 125
The meet was one of the best I have been to in a long time. The after meet was great too. Portlanders are a nice bunch of Head-fiers. The gear was incredible, Andrew H was very generous buying lunch for everybody. Dan from Modwright hell of a nice guy eager to learn more about us Head-fiers. Ken From Revolution Power helped out in a pinch with a spare Tunami Power Cable to help a head-fier who needed it during the meet. T1 and HD800 at the meet. Just plain awesome. The Modwright modded Woo 22 is in league all its own. Just a few impressions

Feb 28, 2010 at 6:16 AM Post #6 of 125
Gil went and popped my head-fi cherry - yes folks, this was my very first headphone meet, and I'll never be quite the same!

Seriously, it was a great time...even dodging the raindrops on my bike on the way home. Thank you Gil and everyone else who made this happen, contributing time and gear and enthusiasm. I got to hear some things I'd been wanting to, and some I didn't know was out there. I met some nice folks and heard some new music. Like the speaker world I'm more familiar with, my reactions to what I heard there were not always what one might assume from price tags....although those DAMN HD800's do sound mighty good! When I got home there was a pair of HF-2's waiting to unpack (B-Stock from TTVJ - many thanks) to help forget the Austrian cans. #559. Man, you wouldn't know listening to these that they were made by the same manufacturer that builds my GS1000's....they sound like their response curves would be inverse of one another. I'll be interested to hear how they break in. Their pretty fun right now, though not much of any soundstage. Thanks again. I'll keep an eye peeled for the next local meet.

Feb 28, 2010 at 6:54 AM Post #7 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seamaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Dr. Strangelove, I did pick up Thomas Kemper for you. since you are no show, I gave them to everyone else.

I got there a half hour late I think... but I had one and it was quite tasty thanks ^_^

Heh I didn't think you would actually get them though

Feb 28, 2010 at 7:25 AM Post #8 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got there a half hour late I think... but I had one and it was quite tasty thanks ^_^

Heh I didn't think you would actually get them though

I am not good to match faces I guess. I always stand behind my word.

Feb 28, 2010 at 9:24 AM Post #10 of 125
almost forgot , thanks for the odds n ends Boomy as well as the tubes Gil ( turned out not to be the triode I thought it was , but who knows, something may evolve ) ..dB

Feb 28, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #14 of 125
dBel84 showed me some very old fostex and Yamaha headphones made back in 70's. Some looked worse than Chinese lead painted toys, but SQ were eye popping. Hifiman HE-5 were very musical, but lack lower end. They were not a deal breaker to me, I am fine live without them.

DT990 and Grado GS-1000 was big disappointment to me. Please don't shoot me in the head if you are the owner of those cans. It is more like personal issue. So It was not my RS-1's fault. I found myself better stay away from Grado. As DT990 goes, they sound dry. I put them down after one song.

Stax 404LE and the Exstata were a hitter espeacially for the price. Easily draw you into music. This combo do bass!! Very full clean body bass. The sound were full bodied with nice weight. Detail and daynamic are all there. soundstage is little wider than WA6SE. The con: a small trace of plastic-like sound in midrange. And the joint of headband and ear cup makes niose when I move around.

iamoneagain's Technica set-up finnally shines this time. One of the best SQ at meet.

Feb 28, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #15 of 125
The after meet was great, we went to The Olympic. Curbfeeler found the place, dongringo and his twin thebasso were at the bar when xtreme4099 and I walked in. Then hamsandwich popped in. Equus found his way to our table. Then we had Boomy3555 sneaked in at the last minute to cap off a Seattle Head-fi ritual. We had pints of terminator and some cool food to celebrate another great meet in the northwest, in the middle of nowhere land.
We had some gear that had to stay in the car for a few late arrivals. Man if you where shopping for something, this meet had almost everything to audition. Got to audition the Maximos, first time for that. I was so off on how much these things cost. Was thinking like double when I listened first then asked price. Cool surprise. Dbel84 and Sachu are a couple of cool cats. Telling me I'm a bass head. Listening to "The XX" comparing the exStata and the EHHA II in sound. Funny stuff.
Just a few more thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back