SEATTLE MEET @ FRONT PANEL EXPRESS 1/21/2012
Dec 28, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #271 of 569

Quote:
ANY MORE THOUGHTS FOR THE AFTERMEET???

An after meet? Yeah, please make sure it's 16 year old approved. If not, that's fine then... 
redface.gif

Dec 29, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #272 of 569
Dec 29, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #273 of 569
Updated gear list for what I'll be brining. Oh, and I'll be giving a way a pair of nice NC headphones. 
wink.gif
 Italicized = new stuff. Awesome! 

Headphones:
Sennhesier HD650
AKG Q701 Re-cabled
HiFiMAN HE-400 Re-cabled
Grado SR-80i Modded

Headphone Amps (Desktop & Portable):
Burson Audio HA160DS Amp & DAC Combo
Schiit Audio Valhalla
Pro-Ject Head Box II
HiFiMAN EF2A
TTVJ Slim
Audinst AMP-HP
SoundMagic A10
Electric Avenues PA2V2

Sources & DAC's:
Hot Audio DAC WOW
Burson Audio HA160 DS DAC Portion
HiFiMAN EF2A DAC Portion
Wyred4Sound uDAC
HiSound Audio Studio-V

Cables:
Q Cable Upgrade for HiFiMAN HE Series
Zombie X Cable Upgrade for AKG K/Q Series
CablePro Reverie LOD

Extras:
Woo Audio Aluminum Headphone Stand

Dec 31, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #274 of 569
Portaphile 627 is coming to the meet!
Got word today it is on the way for everybody to try out at the meet. I have the Portaphile V2'2 so we can compare the two. Will be posting the spec's in a bit or you can look here http://www.portaphile.com/NewPortaphile.html.

Dec 31, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #275 of 569

Quote:
Portaphile 627 is coming to the meet!
Got word today it is on the way for everybody to try out at the meet. I have the Portaphile V2'2 so we can compare the two. Will be posting the spec's in a bit or you can look here http://www.portaphile.com/NewPortaphile.html.

Looks nice. Hmm, love to review this one. $600?

Dec 31, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #276 of 569
AFTERMEET THOUGHTS??????

Dec 31, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #277 of 569

Quote:
AFTERMEET THOUGHTS??????

Drinks? 
wink.gif
 Hmm. I'll research some good places to go in Seattle. Are you talking like a restaurant or bar something along those lines?

Dec 31, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #278 of 569
Hey Austin,

Thanks for the help. We used Pyramid Brewery last time. Hoping for somewhere different and maybe a little better?

Jan 1, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #279 of 569

Quote:
Drinks? 
wink.gif
 Hmm. I'll research some good places to go in Seattle. Are you talking like a restaurant or bar something along those lines?

What about Slim's Last Chance.  Can get great chili and a beer.  Should have enough space.  Think it's all ages since it's more of restaurant than a bar.  I might go there during the meet for some food but not sure I'll make the aftermeet.  Need to get home to the little one.

Edit: Looks like it's 21 and over.

http://www.slimslastchance.com/menu.html

Jan 1, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #280 of 569

Quote:
What about Slim's Last Chance.  Can get great chili and a beer.  Should have enough space.  Think it's all ages since it's more of restaurant than a bar.  I might go there during the meet for some food but not sure I'll make the after meet.  Need to get home to the little one.

Edit: Looks like it's 21 and over.

http://www.slimslastchance.com/menu.html

That looks good, liking the food selection. 

Jan 1, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #282 of 569

Quote:
So did we not like the earlier suggestions of Smarty Pants or Stellars? Or are they both 21 and over also, not to sure now that I think about it.

Smarty Pants: Ages 21 or over....sorry.... 
redface.gif

Stellars: Doesn't say, but looks like a full fledged restaurant....

Jan 1, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #283 of 569
Anybody else have any suggestions?

Jan 1, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #284 of 569
Wow, funny coincidence.  I haven't been posting in a while, but came across this while searching for some Front Panel Express designs for my latest project.  I'd love to attend, it's been a while since I've been to a meet and have some gear I'd like to share.  My main focus is on bang/buck, and a lot of my gear is DIY.

Here's what I plan on bringing for sure:

Cans:
AKG k501
AKG k271 (original, not mk2)
Sennheiser PX-100
Etymotic Research ER-4P, with S adapter. (I have extra tips for a few people to try out, rather than sharing)

Amps:
Meta42 - AD8066 opamp, 2x stacked EL2001CN buffers per channel, custom power supply
MINT - forgot which opamp, 2x 9v power

Sources:
Laptop w/ J.River Media Center, E-mu 0404 USB
ZuneHD
Emotiva XDA-1 DAC (hooked to E-mu 0404 USB, ZuneHD)

If there's room - please confirm and let me know:
Technics SL1200 M3d, Shure M97xe cart, Hagermann Bugle preamp
- there's a chance I may have this modded out with KAB's connectors, cardas tonearm wire and some custom IC's from BJC, but I'm not sure if I'll have it installed in time.
- Some classic rock and selected recent 180g releases (Radiohead, Wilco, Blind Pilot)

Here's the request list - if you want to hear any of it, let me know.  Otherwise I won't be bringing it.
E-mu 0404 PCI
NAD C522 CD player
BantamDAC
ART USB Phono Pre v2
Zune 30

A few things I'm hoping to try:
HDMI/SPDIF demuxer - does anyone have one?  This is typically used to get 24/88.2k or 24/176.4k SPDIF off SACD's into a DAC or PC for recording.  For example, I could get my Oppo DV970h to play SACD through the XDA-1 without a HDMI receiver
More DACs.  I'm shopping for a good solution for high bitrate playback over USB.

Jan 1, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #285 of 569

Quote:
"Yeah, I think Stan is the one with a Benchmark DAC 1 PRE.  Think wharfrat has a HiFiMan DAC.  There's definitely a lot of other stuff I'm forgetting.  Oh yeah, and if you want I can bring my CEntrance DACMini if I can motivate myself to take it out of the desktop computer rig.  :)"

Actually, I have a Lavry DA10 DAC.  I think it has a wonderful headphone output, but I currently use it between my CD player/computer rig and tube-based Cyber-20 headamp, but could input the HiFiMan EF-5 the same way and probably get a better SQ.  I think the Benchmark is in a comparable league to the Lavry, but you see far fewer Lavry DA10s pop up on the for-sale forums compared to the Benchmark. Must be a reason for it and I suspect its cuz Dan Lavry is a better designer.  The DA10 also costs a bit more than the DAC 1, IIRC.

Doc B:  A tube-based DAC?...aha, yes, duh me.  Its sure to be a Bottlehead with a new sexy name and a sweet sound....shall we have a naming contest?

Still undecided what to bring...I have an eye on a Marantz 22xx vintage reciever.....for its headphone output (what a waste of good speaker wattage, huh?).

Are you bringing the Lavry?  It's been a while since I have heard one and I'm hoping to hear it again.  I was lucky enough to A/B the DA10 and Benchmark DAC-1 a few years ago with my own cans & amp (AKG k501 + Meta42).  The DA10 is still the best DAC for my tastes - clean and analytical.  I prefer my coloring to come from the speakers or amp, not the source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back