Seattle meet 12/15/12 impressions
Dec 19, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #16 of 37
Wish I could have come down for this meet. Met a few of you at the Vancouver meet. Good times. Perhaps next time if I catch it before it happens. 
o2smile.gif

Dec 20, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #18 of 37
I'm starting a by-appointment audiophile headphone shop in central Austin in January, 2013. www.nice-cans.com. No internet sales, price-competitive. Sennheiser, Audeze, Denon, Beyerdynamic, Centrance, Musical Fidelity.
ps

Wow we are getting noticed....... Looks like the thread is getting spammed.

Dec 22, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #20 of 37
Quote:

I will just say this right here, right now: the Ultrasone PRO900 is the worst headphone I've ever heard and I would rather listen to a Beats Solo over it...yeah it's that bad in my honest opinion. I literally could NOT listen to the PRO900 for more than 1 minute because it was so harsh and sibilant (I couldn't even enjoy Lindsey Stirling or Tiësto with them
frown.gif
). The PRO900's earpads were really large for my head...similar to the earpads on the HD800 or K/Q 702/701 (my face is being swallowed by the velour earpads!). I really wish I could enjoy the PRO900's, but the super sharp midrange and sibliance, combined with tons and tons of treble energy just couldn't cut it for me.

This sounds like how I feel with my pro 900, BUT only when the cups are sitting too far back on my ears.  I always have to tell people who try mine out to adjust the position of the cups because it makes a surprisingly large changes in the sound.

Did you try adjusting the headphones so the back of your ears are touching or almost touching the back of the cushions?

Dec 22, 2012 at 3:30 AM Post #21 of 37
Quote:
Quote:

I will just say this right here, right now: the Ultrasone PRO900 is the worst headphone I've ever heard and I would rather listen to a Beats Solo over it...yeah it's that bad in my honest opinion. I literally could NOT listen to the PRO900 for more than 1 minute because it was so harsh and sibilant (I couldn't even enjoy Lindsey Stirling or Tiësto with them
frown.gif
). The PRO900's earpads were really large for my head...similar to the earpads on the HD800 or K/Q 702/701 (my face is being swallowed by the velour earpads!). I really wish I could enjoy the PRO900's, but the super sharp midrange and sibliance, combined with tons and tons of treble energy just couldn't cut it for me.

This sounds like how I feel with my pro 900, BUT only when the cups are sitting too far back on my ears.  I always have to tell people who try mine out to adjust the position of the cups because it makes a surprisingly large changes in the sound.

Did you try adjusting the headphones so the back of your ears are touching or almost touching the back of the cushions?

I had the earcups about centered with my ears as I remember Ultrasones are picky about their positioning and this "hidden user manual" attempts to explain it. Nonetheless, I'll have to give the "forward" position a try if I get another chance.
Looking at Tyll's measurements from Innerfidelity, the placement of the headphone on the test dummy head seemed to only affect the bass region. Also regarding measurements, there is definitely a treble peak at around the 6-8 kHz region, which is a prime spot for sibilance problems.

Dec 23, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #22 of 37
Is there an email list to let interested headfiers know about upcoming Seattle meets? I almost made the one in August, but didn't hear about this one in December till it was over!

Dec 23, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #23 of 37
Quote:
Is there an email list to let interested headfiers know about upcoming Seattle meets? I almost made the one in August, but didn't hear about this one in December till it was over!

That or perhaps leave a post/notice on the previous meet's thread. I didn't find out about this meet until about a month before the meet, and was surprised I didn't find it earlier since it was originally planned back in October.

Dec 23, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #25 of 37
Check out my sig. That is the link

Dec 25, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #27 of 37
I hope that the next Seattle meetup is actually in Seattle next time. 

Dec 25, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #29 of 37
Ahh I wish I could've gone! I'd love to do nothing but geek out on head gear for a few hours, a place where we all get each other and dont think a $500 cable is too insane :p Btw, that facebook "link" takes me into some bizarre email thing..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back