Searching for high isolation and flat frequency response
Apr 1, 2010 at 7:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

TopPop

Headphoneus Supremus
So, here's a question for a recommendation concerning my work in phonetics. Our acoustics and speech physiology lab is looking to do some work with manipulating the frequency response of a subject's speech in real-time, and recording how the subject adjusts their speech output accordingly. To do this, we need to find a pair of headphones/earphones that isolate extremely well and have a flat frequency response.

After doing some research on here, it seems that the Etymotic ER4S or Beyerdynamic DT48 would be the best bet, but I wanted to ask y'all to see if that would be a reasonable assumption.

Again: high isolation and flat, linear response is the name of the game here. Let's say our budget is $500, but the lower the better.

Apr 2, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, here's a question for a recommendation concerning my work in phonetics. Our acoustics and speech physiology lab is looking to do some work with manipulating the frequency response of a subject's speech in real-time, and recording how the subject adjusts their speech output accordingly. To do this, we need to find a pair of headphones/earphones that isolate extremely well and have a flat frequency response.

After doing some research on here, it seems that the Etymotic ER4S or Beyerdynamic DT48 would be the best bet, but I wanted to ask y'all to see if that would be a reasonable assumption.

Again: high isolation and flat, linear response is the name of the game here. Let's say our budget is $500, but the lower the better.

DT48a were made for lab work, acoustics, speech, & hearing test.. They are audio metric headphones.. More serious then the e models.. You can buy new for under 400 at B&H audio.. But they come bare ended.. You would need to terminate then to whatever configuration you need. Or try & find one used on ebay. ebayuk. ebay germany.. For what you want, I don't know of anything better.. They are also very easy to drive at 5ohms..

Apr 2, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can add the K271, GMP 8.35 D Monitor with the newer pads. Here more info: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/ger...indeed-406658/

I think he's looking for medical type headphones (very flat of course) strictly made for recording speech, laboratory use & testing, measurements, etc.. The K271/8.35 are geared towards studio use, not scientific study..

Apr 2, 2010 at 3:33 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think he's looking for medical type headphones (very flat of course) strictly made for recording speech, laboratory use & testing, measurements, etc.. The K271/8.35 are geared towards studio use, not scientific study..

Yeah, as flat as possible (within reason, of course... given the budget). This is because we're going to modify certain frequencies, and we need to be fairly certain that we can work with any frequency range and have the same output.

And they need to isolate well because we want the subject to hear their own voice as little as possible, and only hear the modified signal that we send to them through the headphones. I realize that this isn't completely possible, of course, because of the inability for headphones to completely isolate all sound and because of bone conduction, but we're just looking for the best that we can get within the budget.

So, do you think the DT48A might be suitable? Or should we shoot for IEMs (like the ER4S)? I like the idea of using the DT48's because of the durability, comfort, and the fact that we won't have to be cleaning/buying tips all of the time.

Apr 4, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #9 of 11
I sent the following email to Etymotic... currently waiting for their response...

Quote:

Dear Etymotic customer service,

My name is XXX, and I'm currently working with XXX in the Phonetics & Phonology laboratory at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. We are in the process of procuring equipment for a secondary lab for speech physiology experiments.

One of the experiments we're currently working on involves adjusting frequency peaks and bandwidths of subjects' speech in real-time, and monitoring any adjustments they may make to their speech in response to the frequency changes. In order to properly do this research, we're looking for a headphone or earphone set which will provide a high level of isolation as well as a (perceived) flat frequency response.

I've read an article from a previous study which is similar to ours, and the researchers used the ER-2 for their work. However, the more I research the appropriate earphones/headphones to purchase, the more I'm thinking that these aren't actually the correct earphones to use for such purposes. The ER-2 frequency response is completely flat, due to the understanding that the signal to be played was originally recorded via microphones set inside a KEMAR manikin, and will therefore include the transfer function of the ear in the recording. Is this correct? If this is the case, then we would want an ER-1 for our purposes, since what the subjects will be listening to is their own voice through a head-mount microphone. Is this also correct?

Any help that you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
XXX

Apr 4, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

So, do you think the DT48A might be suitable? Or should we shoot for IEMs (like the ER4S)? I like the idea of using the DT48's because of the durability, comfort, and the fact that we won't have to be cleaning/buying tips all of the time.

I think the DT48 might be the better option because of what you mentioned. Also, when wearing IEMs you may or may not have to factor that we don't hear our own human voices primarily through the ambient means but through vibrations through our own throat, ears and head. Which I'm sure you know is why we perceive our voice's sound completely different to ourselves than others actually hear us. The use of IEMs can tend to amplify that. Just a thought.

Peace,

Apr 5, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Yeah, as flat as possible (within reason, of course... given the budget). This is because we're going to modify certain frequencies, and we need to be fairly certain that we can work with any frequency range and have the same output.

And they need to isolate well because we want the subject to hear their own voice as little as possible, and only hear the modified signal that we send to them through the headphones. I realize that this isn't completely possible, of course, because of the inability for headphones to completely isolate all sound and because of bone conduction, but we're just looking for the best that we can get within the budget.

Audio metrics are used to measure peoples hearing through various frequencies.. The DT48a is more of a medical tool then anything else. The isolation is good, but doesn't cover the ear, & has rubber padding.. Isolation would probably be better with the ER4S since it's directly inserted into the ear, but fit & comfortably will most likely be a problem. I'd get the DT48a, they were not made with music in mind, but research, measurements, & lab studies.. What machine will be used? How will they be terminated?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back